• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE -> Investment Banking?

Hi All,

These comments are great and I did some additional research. Just to let you know, please be frank. I might feel a ittle bit dumb discussing this now, but better now than later, especially when I am leaving a well established career that I have.

So from Wikipedia: Investment Banking consists of 2 branches (3rd being Research).

Investment banking is the traditional aspect of the investment banks which also involves helping customers raise funds in the capital markets and giving advice on mergers and acquisitions.

Sales and trading: On behalf of the bank and its clients, the primary function of a large investment bank is buying and selling products. In market making, traders will buy and sell financial products with the goal of making an incremental amount of money on each trade.

From the sales desk, this process goes to the trading desks with the analysts and thats were MFE/MFAN will be working basically structuring the products.

My understanding: Sales and Trading is a part of IB and we will analysts. But, what I am thinking is that this should provide very in-depth knowledge of finance and should be able to prepare me better for mba-finance.

Please let me know what are your opinions. It will probably help me in taking a step in the right direction.

I have already put lot of time in searching for mba programs and trust me on this one, it is difficult as it is to get in to a top tier school. I am from BYU (22nd ranking in mba) and even here the professors suggest at least 2 yrs of work exp. Without work exp it is almost impossible to get in one. And even when I do get in, I will be assigned a job in engineering management after my mba. Its of no use without practical work exp in finance. Better to be in IB, but I do not think I will be hired in IB currently with my engineering degree.

Please let me know what you guys think. You will be helping me a lot.

[
I have already put lot of time in searching for mba programs and trust me on this one, it is difficult as it is to get in to a top tier school. I am from BYU (22nd ranking in mba) and even here the professors suggest at least 2 yrs of work exp. Without work exp it is almost impossible to get in one. And even when I do get in, I will be assigned a job in engineering management after my mba. Its of no use without practical work exp in finance. Better to be in IB, but I do not think I will be ired in IB.

Please let me know what you guys think. You will be helping me a lot.

I have a friend who has about four years work experience in Health care / medical Research. He just got into Kellogg, Wash U and Duke MBA programs.. I've also seen people with stellar profiles go from undergrad to top 10 MBA.

Moral of the story: if you never apply then you'll never know if you could have got in

True, you can get in. But, my point was, after the MBA what kind of job are you going to get.

If you want to get into Finance after MBA, then I do not think an engineering work experience in the background will help any.

I might be wrong.

You might be wrong, although I do not always count that down.
One of my friend was working for Oracle as a DBA before he attended Wharton School of Business. He took MBA Finance, and landed himself with a financial consulting job with a handsome pay. He's just not the one example. I've got others too.

It all depends on you, if you're quite hell bent towards Finance field, you would sure take CFA levels or some other finance related courses before starting off your MBA, or atleast give your CFA levels while pursuing MBA.

Try your luck at MBA... you might land up with a good school.

Joy Pathak - This may just be a difference between London, where I'm currently based, and New York. I do not wish to insult anyone, but what I do know is that my friends have A) not lied to me... B) Been recruited by Big IBs and C) do not have MBA's or finance/econ undergrads...

IBs, big and small, are well represented at my college, a science and tech college, and I find it impossible to believe that an IB recruiter would say that they are only interested in MBA graduates, for London at least I can certify that this is NOT the case...

Subhrain - I know plenty of engineers, electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, etc. that have been recruited by the big IB's, don't make the mistake of undervaluing what you already have. However, a master's in MAFN, FE or indeed an MBA will only improve your chances of being recruited.

Obviously, this is also just an OPINION...

True, you can get in. But, my point was, after the MBA what kind of job are you going to get.

If you want to get into Finance after MBA, then I do not think an engineering work experience in the background will help any.

I might be wrong.

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. There is no correlation between having engineering experience and not getting into MBA.

I might be wrong.

What are you talking about????

I know like 2 people who I was working with at ExxonMobil went on to become investment bankers after getting into kellog.

I know people from SLB, GM, Siemens, who went onto work in investment banks especially M&A after working engineering before getting into ivy league MBA's.

There are so many people who go from engineering to MBA to investment bankers. T

As said above there is no correlation between engineering experience and getting into MBA.

Did not really want to enter into it. But Joy Patahak is 100% right. People who gets into IBD after undergrad goes to their analyst program, which eventually require MBA if you want to move up the ladder. On the other hand in Sales/Trading positions, you can get into them after undergrad from top school and if you succeed then that's it no further degree will be needed, MBA's don't really help much here nor it is required.

Back