• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Prerequisite: Neuva York

Hi Guys,

A bit of help.

Where can I take the Calculus based probability course in Manhattan?
Unless I am mistaken, it's not being offered at Baruch or Hunter in Fall.

Cheers,
Vic

I find it a bit odd that the CUNY schools aren't offering it... are you sure you're looking in the right place?

In any event, I know for a fact that NYU and Columbia offer it in the fall. Needless to say, it's more expensive.

Thx, it's quite possible that I am looking at the wrong place or perhaps the Fall course schedule for Baruch/Hunter has yet to be updated.

Would like to avoid NYU/Columbia for the obvious monetary reasons.

Digressing a bit but what makes Stevens Institute of Tech warrant $1000 per credit.

As far as I know Baruch offers an undergraduate level course in probability every semester as MTH4120.

1. It is a private university; they tend to charge higher fees.
2. It is a well know technical university in the area.
3. It has a beautiful campus and good faculty.

Digressing a bit but what makes Stevens Institute of Tech warrant $1000 per credit.

"1. It is a private university; they tend to charge higher fees.
2. It is a well know technical university in the area.
3. It has a beautiful campus and good faculty."

Notwithstanding the mentioned attributes, $1000/credit is a bit rich.
Particularly when Rutgers is clearly better in 2 and 3 and NJIT is arguably as good.

Getting back on topic, for the benefit of the prospective seekers, "MTH4120" at Baruch or "Probability Theory" at Hunter College fits the bill.

Cheers,
Vic

Poirot said:
Particularly when Rutgers is clearly better in 2 and 3 and NJIT is arguably as good.
How do you know this to be true?

Rutgers is often described as a public ivy (ivy league education at public school price) university. Rutger's "Mathematics (16th), Applied Mathematics (21st) and Physics (24th) departments are top 25 in the nation. Also in the 2006 U.S. News & World Report ranking of Computer Science Ph.D. programs, Rutgers was ranked 29th." (wiki)

"Eleven of Rutgers' graduate departments are ranked by the National Research Council in the top 25 among all universities:" (wiki)

Rutgers' wiki page has more details if you are interested.

I am curious, why do you think Stevens warrants $1000/credit?

Actually, they can charge whatever they want. That's not the point.

My point has to do more with to try to find out more about different schools and don't rush to conclusions. Also, you need to have all information from all sides before you submit your opinion. If not, your opinion is bias or baseless or both.

Have you ever spoken to people from Rutgers and/or Stevens?

Back