• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

... There is an IT and Finance department in the army, and I had stated that I would like to go into either of the 2.

Choose the Army’s IT Department and try to work on the applications that serve the Finance department. You might do mostly accounting stuff, still good to see if you can understand finance.

During the army take an MSc in Applied Mathematics and do well. Read finance.

After that, if you still want to work for financial-service industry, get into a MFE program (a good one like NY's Baruch MFE).

When finishing the army, the age should not be your biggest concern but what & how you did till then.

Good luck!

Why do you want to do MFE and what you think you will do after that degree?

Since graduation, I have done much research, it has lead me to economics, it has lead me to finance, my interest lead me to pursue meeting a financial director of one of the banks here (I met one, I have much respect for him, if I could follow someones path it be his). I want to persue mathematics, my passion has been revived, and I am willing to start over.

I wont say that Financial Engineering will be ultimate the end result, but I am very interested in it. What is attractive about it is number crunching, back in high school that was me. My high school teacher wanted me to become an an actuary (and she still does). It also combines everything that I have a liking for, some economics, some computer science, some finance and lots of mathematics.

I am hoping that after I complete the degree I would go into trading. Either in the states, or in my own country.

thx emil for your suggestion. I guess my first step is to indeed try and get the post graduate diploma.

Well, looks like you need to get a graduate degree in some major like math, cs, finance to have a chance in an MFE program.
Jamaica isn't known for a hub of MFE applicants so you will stand out, and you better have something to show. If I were you, I would go to the states to study at some state colleges for the the math degree before doing MFE.

Well, looks like you need to get a graduate degree in some major like math, cs, finance to have a chance in an MFE program.
Jamaica isn't known for a hub of MFE applicants so you will stand out, and you better have something to show. If I were you, I would go to the states to study at some state colleges for the the math degree before doing MFE.

I would also add that the army will be a good way for you to get focused. Eight years will pass before you know it. Then you will have a better idea of what you want. Military service won't count against you, unless you receive a dishonorable discharge.

boy, I dont intend to stay in the army. but we will see. thx for all the responses, I found this forum at a critical time in my life. I will definitely share my experiences.

I would also add that the army will be a good way for you to get focused. Eight years will pass before you know it. Then you will have a better idea of what you want. Military service won't count against you, unless you receive a dishonorable discharge.

The key thing is what rank will you rise to before you are discharged?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The business community love to hire Army/Navy commanders. If you really want to think about the life after military career then you better think about how to become a member of the officer corp now.<o:p></o:p>

Well, if I do get accepted, I would be an officer, Second Lieutenant. I hope I do rise to at least Captain before I leave. I do not know how long it will take for me to advance.

I was informed by someone not to pursue MSc in Applied Mathematics as it is not a viable degree in Jamaica (unless I intend to pursue a Docterate). He advise me to try and get into the MFE program and not do Applied Math as that is viable in my country.

anyone knows of any other good accredited online post graduate places that does distance education? I only know of University of London (take a look http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/prospective_students/undergraduate/lse/dip_grad/math/structure.shtml )

The 2 universities here do not offer a post grad diploma, ill have to double check but I do not see it on the website.

You know what, I gonna stop worrying about it. What has been done, has been done and I can not change my past. I will just do my best from now on and 'Que sera, sera'.

Thanks everyone for responses, Ill try to be active here, I think this forums is quite helpful. I shall refer my friends to it.

Hey man,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
There are plenty of Financial Engineering Certificate programs now where you do not need passing GRE score or really good GPA to get into. I think if you take one of these program, and then will apply to real FE program then if you get really good result in your certificate studying (let say around 3.8) and good GRE score plus the army I would say you will have chances much over 50/50 to be accepted on any the program.<o:p></o:p>

In any case,
Good Luck

You know what, I gonna stop worrying about it. What has been done, has been done and I can not change my past. I will just do my best from now on and 'Que sera, sera'.

Thanks everyone for responses, Ill try to be active here, I think this forums is quite helpful. I shall refer my friends to it.

Best of luck.

I would also point out from my own experience that retooling to become an FE--or any of several other things--in your thirties is not, despite what your 24 years of accumulated wisdom may tell you, the end of the world. I'm even able to get out of my wheelchair now and then to price an option or two.... :D

Advice - Chances of getting into MFE or MF or PhD

Hello All,

This is an excellent forum that all of you have set up here. I was hoping if you guys could possibly evauluate my profile and tell me what my chances are of getting into MFE at Baruch or Top 10 schools or Masters in Finance in top 10-15 schools. I will be starting my PhD in Materials Engineering at University of Wisconsin- Madison but would like to switch out and enter Finance area for 2010.

Education: Mechanical Engineering, Univeristy of Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Post-Graduate studies - Phd in Computational Materials University of Wisconsin, Madison (Starting next month) (leaving possibly at the end of first semester). My advisors already know I will only be going for 2 semesters to do research with them and take 3 courses.

GPA: We are on a 13 grade scale in Canada..for my last TWO years of study I will have between 2.75-3.0 GPA on a 4 grade scale... B to B-. My cumulative is lower due to a bad second year. Differential Calculus= A-, Integral Calculus= A-, Linear Algebra=B, Differential Equations=B (took it again, had a D the first time). Computational Fluid Dynamics (Extensive PDE) = A- . A projected 3.0/4.0 for my first semester at Madison.

GRE : Quant = 710, Verbal = 420, ANALYTICAL=5/6

Work Experience: Production Manager = General Motors, Research Intern = Exxon Mobil, Research Intern= Ford, Research Intern = Siemens VDO Automotive. (2 years of total experience)

Research Experience : A) , "An Aerodynamic study and Design Methodology for Supermileage 2009 Vehicle" , 2009 International ASME Congress and Expo, TOP 5 FINALIST in the WORLD – Young Engineer Paper award 2009. (Forthcoming Publication & Presentation November 15th, 2009 in Orlando, Florida for the #1 Rank.)

B) J Pathak, "Design Methodology for creating a Numerical model of a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine", 21st Parallel CFD Conference @ NASA AMES Research Centre 2009 Proceedings

C) ,"A comparative study of energy absorption characteristics of foam filled and multi squared columns.", Technical Publication & Presentation, 2010 SAE World Congress, Detroit (Forthcoming)

D) ”Design Methodology of the Development of Data Acquisition system to record displacement data of Hp Alloy Furnace Tubes”, Syncrude Internal Journal,Vol 18,2008

E) “The Role of Aerodynamics and Advance Mathematics in the Design of Super mileage Car.”, 2010 SAE World Congress – Presentation only. (Forthcoming), Paper Offer Number: 10B-0003-Session: B100 , Body Engineering and Design

That's about it. My Computational Fluid Dynamics experience is tremendous which has led to numerous publications. CFD includes a very high level knowledge of Partial Differential Equations and command on Navier Stokes Equations. I also have a paper published on Finite Element Analysis.

I should have 3 excellent references from professors at University of Wisconsin-Madison including my advisor.

What do you guys think of my chances is of getting into any MFE program let alone Baruch...

I want to get the MFE or MF degree so that I can do my PhD in Finance. That is my final goal. Should I even bother applying for direct PhD in Finance?

Thank you in advance,

Joy

PS: I am 21 year old from Canada.

so, you are already in a PhD program in some school. Try to convince the same school to get you into their Finance program (if they have one).

If you want to switch school or apply to MFE, retake all the exams.

University of Wisconsin-Mad has a Finance program.

Would it be easier for me to get into Masters in Finance? My final goal is PhD in Finance and I just want to build up my application. Any experience with Masters in Finance or Economics? Would it be possible for me to get into those programs with my credentials?

if you want to be a PhD in Finance, apply to the PhD in finance. IMHO, I think it will be easier to convince the people in the school that you are already attending to accept you.

if you want to be a PhD in Finance, apply to the PhD in finance. IMHO, I think it will be easier to convince the people in the school that you are already attending to accept you.

Thanks. I will definitely try to do that.

GRE Q = 710.
No chance of getting anywhere. Take the exam again and when you get 800, we'll discuss the next step.

Andy, why do you think GRE Quant so important? It's just general math and doesn't say much (IMO). He has a not so great GPA but has done a lot of research, has some published papers, and work experience. That's pretty impressive :D

Back