• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE Rankings for 2008

Hi All,

I searched everywhere but could not get the ranking of FE program worlwide.(searched US news numerous times)
Anyways, Can someone inform as what are the top 20 programs in in and out US. I have a list please edit it if I am wrong.
1)Haas
2) U Chicago
3) NYU
4) Columbia OR dep
5) Columbia Maths dep
6) LSE, London
7) Toronto, CA
8) CMU
9) Stanford
10) Princeton
11) michigan
12) boston
13) Baruch
14) Gatech
please add and edit the list

Yeah I made up the list by reading the forums and checking the rankings of department which offer these courses. But I cant get the exact ranking as most of the good programs take place in different departments :(.. If you guys could atleast tell me
1) I am missing any good college
2)the ranking given by me is correct or not
then it would be really great .
Thanks
vaibhav

as Andy said, a comprehensive and on-going system of quantifying MFE programs - like that for MBA, JD, etc programs - just doesn't exist.

Global derivatives made an attempt back in 2003 to do so, but hasn't updated since then. As you can guess, a lot has changed since then - some programs improved immensely, some deteriorated ...

as a result, you can claim that Haas is the best MFE program and i would counter that no, Baruch is - and we both would be right. it doesn't matter what you and i think, because we are using our subjective criteria, while arbitrary assigning values within those criteria.

some consider job placement rate as the major factor, some look closely at the type of jobs that graduates get. other people look at the admission rate/test scores. yet others consider programs ROI. the list could go forever...

i realize it's not very helpful for you as a potential applicant, but unfortunately, this is our current reality.

yes i can understand that...but sicne you guys are watching the colleges from so long so cant you rate may be 10-15 colleges, which could be helpful for people like us. Haas dead line is over :(...

-vaibhav

Hey,

If you feel this is not the correct place, then please mail me @ vaibhav.rk@gmail.com

And I will subsequently forward that detail to anyone who will require that.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

just to make myself really clear - there's nothing to email, really.
to illustrate the level of my personal bias, here's what my list would look like:
  1. Baruch MFE;
  2. does it matter? - why would you apply to a school that's not #1?
i realize this is a serious matter for you, and apologize for joking about it, but really, i am not aware of any objective and reliable MFE programs ranking.
my suggestion would be to use your own criteria (e.g. gre scores of admitted students, or placement rate, or sth else) and then look it up on the respective programs' websites (not all, but most post this info online).

good luck with your applications!

Hey,

If you feel this is not the correct place, then please mail me @ vaibhav.rk@gmail.com

And I will subsequently forward that detail to anyone who will require that.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

If you want to get a ranking, we should go to "US News & World report" or some othe place that gives you a ranking.

Rankings are not really important for us as you have probably seen already.

Yeah I made up the list by reading the forums and checking the rankings of department which offer these courses. But I cant get the exact ranking as most of the good programs take place in different departments :(.. If you guys could atleast tell me
1) I am missing any good college
2)the ranking given by me is correct or not
then it would be really great .
Thanks
vaibhav
what is your definition of a good college? In order to give you any opinion you should let us know what you consider a good college.

Also, that ranking, what is it based on? If it's your own thing, you should be happy with it. Nothing makes us experts in college rankings.

It is obviously clear what our rankings would be on this forum :)

In any case, since most of the schools on your list have similar characteristics of quality education and job placement, you should concentrate on your personal interests. Schools have different courses, and even the same courses differ in contents. Decide what your preferences are and apply to the schools that match your interests.

Hi All,

I searched everywhere but could not get the ranking of FE program worlwide.(searched US news numerous times)
Anyways, Can someone inform as what are the top 20 programs in in and out US. I have a list please edit it if I am wrong.
1)Haas
2) U Chicago
3) NYU
4) Columbia OR dep
5) Columbia Maths dep
6) LSE, London
7) Toronto, CA
8) CMU
9) Stanford
10) Princeton
11) michigan
12) boston
13) Baruch
14) Gatech
please add and edit the list

there is no FE program at LSE.

Its kind of ironic that quant programs dont have rankings considering we try to measure/guesstimate everything

Hi Andy, I wanted to confirm the following because my original research was based off of Global Derivatives, which I knew was not latest but it was a start :)

Chicago and NYU only offer Financial Mathematics,
CMU offers Computational Finance,
And Stanford kicked it up a notch and is offering their FE certificates to professionals with 3 yrs experience or those who have completed/completing their MS&E program?

Also, does anyone have advice on the Claremont Graduate University program? I am interested in a Ph.D. in FE but doubt I will live up to the Cornell or Princeton standard :cry:.
ANY information or help will be appreciated. :dance:

Lastly – it is ironic that there is no ranking / measure for FE. But it is a personal decision and anywhere on the top 10 should signal something. Plus career placement can be a major factor – I would love to join the Baruch program for MFE

Also, does anyone have advice on the Claremont Graduate University program? I am interested in a Ph.D. in FE but doubt I will live up to the Cornell or Princeton standard :cry:

You are really setting yourself for failure if you don't consider yourself worthy of Princeton and Cornell. Have you tried to apply? The worst thing that could happen is that you are not accepted but if you don't try, you won't ever know.

You are really setting yourself for failure if you don't consider yourself worthy of Princeton and Cornell. Have you tried to apply? The worst thing that could happen is that you are not accepted but if you don't try, you won't ever know.

Oh, I definitely intend to apply. I believe I could handle the rigorous courses and regardless, I would work effortlessly to succeed. I just do not want to get hyped up because I really liked the Cornell curriculum. I have nothing to lose by applying to all of them; more options.

I also like the Baruch program – congratulations on the excellent placement. I am looking for such a program because I would love to gain a great internship and work experience and then continue into a doctorate program. I am also considering what was mentioned in “MFE after PhD, PhD after MFE, and related questions” by Yuriy – which is continuing to the Ph.D. program and potentially wrap up my thesis while working.

Back