• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Completed my Application

Yippy!!! I submitted my application yesterday.So I am now one step closer to my goal.

Thanks everyone for ur support!!

Kanu

howdy from Texas. I'm currently only from the outside looking in, but very much interested in FE in general and the program at Baruch in particular. I really appreciate the faculty, the alumni, and you all current students for being so welcoming and informative.

Hello All,

I am new on quantnet and would like to introduce myself.

Name : Sniper
Education : Bach of Eng in Computer Science and Eng.
University: VTU, India. GPA: No GPA, First Class with Distinction
GRE: 1310. Q 800. Toefl: 111/120

Papers: 2 international Papers on adhoc networks and stochastic processes.
1 patent in the field of statistics and security.

Work Experience: total experience, 2 years and 4 months.
Team lead at Hewlett Packard.
Appearing for NCFM certifications at NSE.

Languages: C,C++, Java, Perl, Python, VB.

Applying for Baruch 2007 MFE.

Would appreciate any kind of feedback on my profile. Thanks in advance.

Chierz.

Hello Andy,

Well, I would post PHP on a web designer forum :D

coming back to the post, I have started my application process, and have notified my recommenders today. So, should be out in a week or so.

I am looking for a practical course (ofcourse mixed with theory) where I can apply my theoretical knowledge to use in the industry. A good mix of theory and practice should be good.

Chierz.

Well, I would post PHP on a web designer forum :D
Exactly :smt023 specially when Quantnet is hiring the next web designer ;)

coming back to the post, I have started my application process, and have notified my recommenders today. So, should be out in a week or so.

From what I can see, you have a fine profile. The crucial steps would be to make your application stands out from the pool. It's very hard when everyone else is having 800 Quant, 500+ Verbal, stellar GPA.

So my suggestion is to spend lot of time on your resume and personal statement. These, you can make it as good as you want. Others like letter of recommendation are out of your control.

Put yourself in the position of the admission people and ask yourself: "If I am good enough to be admitted anywhere, why Baruch ? "

I agree with everything Andy posted.
I would only say that letters of recommendation are in your control as far as making sure that you ask the people who will give you a great recommendation. This was actually something discussed at yesterday's open house .

Hi everyone I am glad to be a part of this family. I am from Zimbabwe with an Msc in Mathematical modelling.

hi !

Hello from singapore. Had a BSc computer science from Nottingham Trent Uni,uk. Jus got enrolled into Baruch's Exec. MSc in Finance via it's international centre in s'pore and am interested to know more abt MFE too. Side track, is the Exec. MSc held in high regards? Nice to be introduced to this great community.

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent college grad with a major in math. I'm working in NY and have been taking courses in structured finance. I met a few of you at the info session a few days ago. Cheers.

Hello from singapore. Had a BSc computer science from Nottingham Trent Uni,uk. Jus got enrolled into Baruch's Exec. MSc in Finance via it's international centre in s'pore and am interested to know more abt MFE too. Side track, is the Exec. MSc held in high regards? Nice to be introduced to this great community.

Hi CheeBoon,
Welcome to Quantnet. Are you the one that asked about Baruch Executive program on GD ? I think i saw the question a while ago.
Glad that you discover the website for our MFE program - the best Master program at Baruch :smt023

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent college grad with a major in math. I'm working in NY and have been taking courses in structured finance. I met a few of you at the info session a few days ago. Cheers.

Hi ansh,
Which structured finance courses you took ? Are they with Prof. Raynes ? I probably remember you from the open house. ;)

Hi Andy,
I took Intro and Intermediate with Prof. Rutledge, and just began Advanced with Prof. Raynes.
Quick question about C++: I was a TA for Programming II: C++ in college (did C++ in high school), so does that count? Also, took a Java course, know VBA and HTML, some PHP, SQL etc.

Hi ansh,

Are you taking 9848 this semester on Weds ? I'm taking the same course.
As for your C++, unless you have working experience or took it for college credits, I do not think you can use TA as replacement. Also, the level of C++ taught undergrad is not enough to prepare for our program.

If you believe you are efficient enough, you should ask Prof. Stefanica next month during the open house. I believe it's March 6th.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the introductions thread.
It's not 9848 - I believe that's open only to people in the program, and intro/intermediate covered that material. These courses are offered outside of Baruch.
For C++, the pre-reqs says prog knowledge as demonstrated by 1 undergrad class - as a TA I'd (I hope) know more than the student taking the course - I'll check with Dan. The refresher courses should help. Anyway, the more you know, the better. Thanks.

MFE v CFA

Hi. I'd like to get into trading and figure an MFE is better than a CFA. I have a CS degree and background, but am more intrested in the Trading aspect than the development.

I feel like the industry is moving to more automated stuff. I would like the freedom of gaining experience in NYC and then moving elsewhere but still work in trading. It seems like an MFE is the way to go.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

CFA, especially level I can give you the basic knowlege of finance...but to understand how product priced or structured, it's better to take MFE. For trading, it's big plus you know the prudocts well, but not necessary to go through MFE to be a trader......I MAY BE WRONG :)

Back