• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

My point was that with your original plan of not taking LA, you will have less chance than those who do. And you are correct when saying that as long as you meet the requirements, it should be irrelevant of when one took the courses.
It can be said that the more recent, the better. I would suggest that you take more than the requirements. Take some calculus-based probability, ODE, PDE. And if you can squeeze time in to take the CFA and CMT, more power to you.

And don't forget about the GRE. Aim for 800 on the Quant part.
Best of luck.

Andy,

Thank you very much for your input. Your advice is very much appreciated. In your opinion do you feel taking the Level 1 CFA exam adds little net benefit to the strength of the app as opposed to taking the differential eq courses?

Actually, good point. Princeton is ORFE. Baruch is FE. Definately have to read the fine print.

Thanks

It all depends on the courses they offer and flexibility (thats why I chose Baruch and decided not to pursue a certificate in Finance from CMU's CompFin). If I were to go to Princeton, I would prefer more FE courses and less OR (like supply chain management).

hey hi.... i'm doin my electrical engi too.... wanna pursue fm after dis... can u send me some details of d best colls... estimated fees.. prospects of d cource... u're sop... stuff like dat... wil be a huge favour...

Andy,

Thank you very much for your input. Your advice is very much appreciated. In your opinion do you feel taking the Level 1 CFA exam adds little net benefit to the strength of the app as opposed to taking the differential eq courses?
I always think of the CFA as a bonus to one's credentials. MFE is unlike MBA or other business-oriented disciplines in that quantitative strength is highly valued. Passing CFA Level 1 does not show that you know math well or can write a thousand line of C++.
My feeling would be that you are better served taking math/programming courses than studying for CFA. That time would be better spent studying for a 800 GRE quant score.

If you have done all that and still have time to take the CFA L1, then by all means, do it. It will be like icing on a the cake.

I would personally like to have a CFA, but on top of MFE :)
I have a feeling CFA won't help much, but definitely would not hurt admission chances.

Hi Andy,

I am Sumit Shah from India. I am currently work for SAP labs India and planning to join Baruch in fall 2008. Could you please tell me some bank or institution in US from where I can take education loan?

Thanks,
Regards,
Sumit

Andy, by the way thanks for the link :) I did not know there is Loan information in our Wiki :)

hi

Hi, I'm rees evans. I was trained in pure mathematics (abelian harmonic analysis) and have been working in a variety of engineering and scientific fields for a number of years. I am interested in learning all I can about Financial Mathematics and how markets work.

Hi To everyone

Hi Guys,

I am the newest member to join QuantNet, a little bit about myself:

Name : Ravi Sharma
Currently doing MBA with speacialization in Actuarial Science and parallely giving SOA exams
Aspiring to join the top league US colleges for Financial Engineering with in a year or two
I have a Batchelor of Commerce from Mumbai University , NM College.
I have around 3.5 years of Work Experience : Hewlett Packard - Financial Assistant; IBM - Co-Ordinating Procurement Analyst, Goldman Sachs - Intermediate Analyst.

I would require all the help and guidance of all you fellas.

Regards,
Ravi:tiphat:

hi all,
i am rae, a math major student, i am really interest in this program, so i am doing a small field research, now i have some difficulties in finding out the hot topics and future trend of this field...looking forward for help from you guys
thanks

Hi, I am Christophe and I am from France. I have 9 years of experience in software engineering and even though I have a joint degree in computer science and applied math(Maitrise), I have joined the field of investment banking about 18 month ago. I am considering enrollment in a graduate program such as a MFE or Msc Finance.

Hi, I am Christophe and I am from France. I have 9 years of experience in software engineering and even though I have a joint degree in computer science and applied math(Maitrise), I have joined the field of investment banking about 18 month ago. I am considering enrollment in a graduate program such as a MFE or Msc Finance.

Interesting background. Are you working in France? Where do you want to do your graduate studies?

Interesting background. Are you working in France? Where do you want to do your graduate studies?

Yess I am working in France as a contractor in Equity Derivative P&L-Risk Systems. I am considering either going to the US, or to London. Before going back to school, I might try to get a role as a it-quant, I'll see how thnigs work out.

Before entering any program, I'll need to rust off my math, I plan to take some evening classes.

Yes I am working in France as a contractor in Equity Derivative P&L-Risk Systems. I am considering either going to the US, or to London. Before going back to school, I might try to get a role as a it-quant, I'll see how thnigs work out.

Before entering any program, I'll need to rust off my math, I plan to take some evening classes.

Just curious, why would you not consider programs in France?

Extra math classes (and good grades) are always a good idea before you emabark on such a program.

Just curious, why would you not consider programs in France?

Extra math classes (and good grades) are always a good idea before you emabark on such a program.

1st, I am interested in an international career. I have already worked in the US in the past, and the way they work in the US and the UK fits me better.

2nd, you should know that most programs of that type in France are very theorical and very math focused, thus not very adapted to people like me who are coming from years of software engineering. The majority of these programs were created to train future researchers, it makes them very attractive if you whan to create mathematical models (this not what I am looking forward). I am much more interested in structured finance and pricing issues which make a MFE more attractive. I think the Engineering side of the MFE renders it more adapted to my situation than DEA programs that are taught in France.

So far I have found one program in France that could fit my needs. It is the financial engineering program that is tought at the University of Evry.

3rd if I choose to enroll in a program in London, most of them are also taught part-time, that will enable me to get more industry experience while getting higher education.

4th even if I get my degree in France, I will still need to go abroad to get the best oportunities simply because I did not go to a group A school (Polytechnique, Centrale, Les Mines...) as part as my undergraduate studies. The rule of thumb in France, is that no matter your experience or your skiils, if you did not go to a group A school, there are plenty of jobs for which you will not even go though the interview process.

Hi Quants, I am kind of intimidated with the profiles of ppl here, But nonetheless I am a finance fanatic, Not Financial Engg but wud settle down for MS Fin, Its really an interesetin forum for all the quants studs as well prospective students, I did my Engg in Chem Tech (Please dont laugh) but I am working as a Business Analyst in Insurance domain plannin to do MS Fin in Fall 08. Gave my GRE n got 800 in Quant but jus 450 in VA :( ...
My Hi to All!!!

Hi Quants, I am kind of intimidated with the profiles of ppl here, But nonetheless I am a finance fanatic, Not Financial Engg but wud settle down for MS Fin, Its really an interesetin forum for all the quants studs as well prospective students, I did my Engg in Chem Tech (Please dont laugh) but I am working as a Business Analyst in Insurance domain plannin to do MS Fin in Fall 08. Gave my GRE n got 800 in Quant but jus 450 in VA :( ...
My Hi to All!!!

Hi to you too :) and welcome!

Not many people get interested in Finance from High School :) some get their degrees in other disciplines first.

By the way, who can tell me what was Dr. Shreve's major when he was an undergrad? :) Those who don't know will never guess.

Back