• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

introduction: joshy philip elias

hi there...........im new to all this .......im a bit scared too........im doin my undergraduation in electronics n commmunication engg. i plan to join for ms in FE. i finish my bachelor degree by june 2008. i wish to join by fall 2010. Im good in maths n my grades in maths have always been high . i hav no experiance and my knowledge in finance is soo little. sumone pleese help me out n suggest wat i shud do.let me know wat all courses i shud take b4 i join for ms in FE.im really interstd in the stock market and im gud in maths so i feel i hav a chance in this field..........so sumone plees help me out

Hello everyone,

I am a quant developer thinking about may be sometimes eventually becaming an quant analyst
(wishfull thinking - but who knows).

My primary area expertise is around .NET,C# and Excel, VBA development, for the last years in front office environment supporting quants and traders in their every day battle with math and markets.

It looks like this forum has a great sense of community and I hope I will become part of it.

Thank you.

Hi

Hi,
I am Manoj Dureja from India. I am an MFE aspirant. I heard of MFE only a week ago and after browsing through the net for some days, I found this community. I am feeling glad to join this community.
I am undergrad in Mechanical Engineering, presently working as engineer in a steel industry for last 1.5 yrs and I am going to join another company, a trading firm, as a derivatives trader.
I have interest in computer programming, puzzle solving, etc.
Right now I am a bit confused about doing MFE, first I need to know more about the course before I take a firm decision and thats why I joined here.
I am eager to seek help from you guys.

Hi there

I am Nitin from India and I obtained a Masters degree in Economics and dual with Bachelors in Computer Science.. I am a BITS-pilani alumnus, (one of the finest colleges for engineering in India)

I am looking forward to do my pursue a career which helps me use the concepts from both of the disciplines i passed out with.. I find Masters in Financial Engineering to be the most apt prog.. I am thankful to quantnet for the forum and the wonderful contributors..

I have gone through Mr.Mark Joshi's documents on MFE and the careers we get to pursue after that.. Honestly i find it interested and scary at the same time.. but i hope to learn more about through this forum..

@Andy
I am applying for FALL - 2009. I have one year experience as a research associate in a business and investment research firm and also one year experience as research programmer at INSEAD Business school. But i have a low gpa .. but will this experience give me edge over other candidates in any way.. I am sorry to ask this question despite you telling people not to.. but i would appreciate if anyone could.. Many thanks!

recent CMU MSCF graduate

All,
I have started my own blog and am recent graduate of CMU MSCF program. I currently work on Wall Street.

www.arbitrageDude.com

Feel free to ask me any questions on my forum and visit my blog above.

Thanks,
ArbDude

Hello Everyone

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the useful site. I'm a postdoc in theoretical astrophysics just thinking about making a change into finance. I'm sure I'll be burdening you all with lots of questions soon, in the meantime, I'm off to read what's already been written.

Cheers,
Owen.

Hi everyone. I am an aspiring MFE student. Joined this forum to get some perspective of what to expect in a MFE course. I have 2.5 years of experience in banking and I am interested in modeling and pricing of derivatives. However, I find the pre-requisites of many MFE program daunting. My education background was in Operations Research. GRE quant score was 790. On paper, I should be pretty well-versed in the quant requirements for MFE but I really cannot remember what's Green's theorem and how to do linear alegebra after these couple years of work (my work is non-quant related). Do most prospective students face the same problem or does everyone find the pre-requisites "easy-peasy"? What experiences or activities would make one's application standout especially if the person is not some programming wizard or math major? Many Thanks!

Hello everyone. I am from Chile and am finishing my Bachelor in Finance this term, which in my country is called Engineering in Finance, and it's a little different to the typical bachelor in USA, since we have to take around 45 semestral courses, and it takes about 5 years.

I attended the presencial evening classes format so I was able to work during 4 years in a local Hedge Fund as a Trader mostly focused on the Forex Market.

Regards

Hey everyone!

Former Air Force (Info Security Engineer)
US State Department (Info Security Engineer)
Attending Columbia University Economics for undergraduate, but seriously considering a transfer to City College because I hate paying 52k a year for school. More conversations I have with others about college, the more I think a hard science major (Applied Math and Computer Science) from a regular inexpensive university is the best decision. And spend money on a reputable graduate school for financial engineering. Any feedback? Thanks!

Later

Hi everyone. I'm keenly interested for persuing MFE. I need some guidance from all of you regarding that. I'm working as a Software Engineer in Financial Domain (Stock Exchange) for the past 3 years. I've found out some universities in whch I'm interested. But I'm not sure of the procedure for applying to those university. Are GMAT/GRE mandatory for MFE? Also, what is the scope of persuing MFE? Is it still a demanding course?
Sincere thanks to all/
Mady
madhumani1@gmail.com

The application process should be fairly straightforward and for most part, you should be able to apply online. While the general process is the same across schools, each is likely to have its own special requirements. You should be able to find all the information you need their websites. If you have questions, why not just contact the schools directly?

While the choice of test GMAT/GRE is school specific, you will ultimately have to take one or the other. You can find all of this information plus more by simply visiting each program's website.

Hi everyone. I'm keenly interested for persuing MFE. I need some guidance from all of you regarding that. I'm working as a Software Engineer in Financial Domain (Stock Exchange) for the past 3 years. I've found out some universities in whch I'm interested. But I'm not sure of the procedure for applying to those university. Are GMAT/GRE mandatory for MFE? Also, what is the scope of persuing MFE? Is it still a demanding course?
Sincere thanks to all/
Mady
madhumani1@gmail.com

Hi Guys! This place is really an excellent resource. I have learned a lot about the field of quant finance along with valuable career advice. I am starting the UC Berkeley Haas MFE program next month and this forum was an indispensable resource for my decision. I look forward to using the forum as a resource in the future. Thanks for the strong welcome!

Hey

Hello,
I am an electrical engineer and stumbled upon this quant profession. I am still a student finishing up my MS and I was taking a class on discrete-time stochastic systems when I started to notice financial mathematics. I have read some books in this area and read a lot on this forum. Now that I have a question I need to join. I look forward to meeting everyone someday.

Hi everyone

I'm a ex-particle physicist that's landed in a private equity company modelling real-estate transactions. I was getting VERY bored of cashflow modelling, so I started looking around the web to find out if there were any quants working in the world real-estate/commercial property and if they could offer some advice. Google brought me here, so I'm going to go read through the forums before annoying people with questions :)

Google brought me here, so I'm going to go read through the forums before annoying people with questions :)

Now that's a novel idea! =D>
:D:D:D

Hi, everyone. I am happy to be part of your team. I'm having my first Quant interview in one of the four large banks in South Africa, tomorrow. Knowing that I have your support, I believe I'm going to do well in the interview. :)

Attending Columbia University Economics for undergraduate, but seriously considering a transfer to City College because I hate paying 52k a year for school. More conversations I have with others about college, the more I think a hard science major (Applied Math and Computer Science) from a regular inexpensive university is the best decision. And spend money on a reputable graduate school for financial engineering. Any feedback? Thanks!
I think it would be a bad idea to switch schools solely for the tuition. Columbia has an excellent reputation and it will undoubtedly look better when you apply for a job and to graduate school. Do not worry about tuition cost!

I think it would be a bad idea to switch schools solely for the tuition.
Agree.

Columbia has an excellent reputation and it will undoubtedly look better when you apply for a job and to graduate school. Do not worry about tuition cost!

Reputation is not sufficient especially for a MFE program. Skills, networking are much more important. Several quantnet threads can be found on criteria to compare MFE programs.

Back