• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Re: For all new Quantnet members, please say hi here

hi, all.
I'm Kyung Won Seo. (Kyung Won is my first name :) )
Now, I'm studying at Univ. of Delaware. Upon graduation, I'll receive two bachelor degrees from UD and Hankuk Univ. of Foreign Studies in South Korea.

Major: Finance
Minor: Math
GPA: 3.92 (Overall ), 4.0 (Finance), around 4.0(Math)

Courses completed: Calculus 1,2,3, ODE, Linear Algebra, Prob. theory and simulation, Advanced calculus with application (calculus of variation, lilear/non-linear dynamics, etc), C++ ; got all A's except Advanced Cal.(A-)

Course next semester: PDE, numerical PDE, data structure.

GRE: will be taken at Jan. 30. Now I'm working on it.:smt024

No direct work experience: 2 yrs in the Korean Army, inturn in marketing team, assistant manager in a start-up restaurant.

Update:
GRE: verbal 650 / Quant 800 / Writing pending

Hi Kyung Won,
It seems you got everything in place. Get 800/550+/4.5+ in the GRE and you will have a very good profile.

Good luck with the GRE, update your profile with GRE scores when you are done. Look forward to your application to our program.

By the way, if you join our program, you will have lot of chances to go out with us to KTown and IBop (a Korean Karaoke parlor in KTown we frequent) :smt034

Sure, I really miss Korean food. There is nothing like KTown here, not even a similar one. I hope I can get the "magic" verbal/writing score: 550/4.5.

Sure, I really miss Korean food. There is nothing like KTown here, not even a similar one.
If you drink, then there is always Grand Saloon bar every Thurs after class that our students hang out and destress. :partyman:
I hope I can get the "magic" verbal/writing score: 550/4.5.
The magic score would be 800/800/6 which belongs to one of our 2006 students. 550/4.5 is just about average verbal/writing score for admitted 2006 class. From our website, the average is 768/538/4.38. So I'd say, aim higher :smt024

Yes, Andy. You are right. "magic" is not supposed to mean an "average".;)
I'm just kinda nervous. Thanks for your advice.

Hi,everyone
Baruch's courses are all arranged in the evening. I was curious about what would you do during the daytime? Doing some interns or being busy with programming work?
Besides, Professor Neftci is in this program, but he also has some teaching task in other institutes. Will he stay in Baruch during the most of time?:)
I could not find two-year full-time study in FE in Baruch now, just a 18-month. Is there still a 2-year option?

Hi, Muting, if you are going to do fulltime, your daytime will be occupied by homeworks and assigments (that's what I went through as fulltime student), even most of the weekends.

Intern would be a good idea after you survive the first semester's workload, and if you do not have previous experience in industry, it's wise to working part-time or intern---which is part of my schedule for the spring semester.

As to Prof. Neftci, I didn't meet him in person yet in Baruch. But I think if you have a specific question for him, why not reach him by email or making an appointment ? We are not in control of Professors' schedules...;);) but you can utilize your resources as possible.

Where did you get the idea of two year program ? For full-time. it's 18 month...

Again, welcome to Quantnet.:smt024:smt024

Hello Everyone,
I am also a fresh applicant to MFE-2007 at Baruch.
I am sorry for the delay in posting my profile, was out of station for past 10 days. My profile is posted below. Please pour in your suggestions in order to improve it.
Thanks.

My Profile:
Name: Anshul Laad
Department: Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
Institute: Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB)
Degree : B.tech + M.tech
Specialization: (Process Engineering)
GPA : 3.4/4 (Converted on a scale of 4)
Rank 6 in the Dual Degree batch of Metallurgical Engg. & Materials Science, IITB 2007.
GRE: 1080/1600 (800 Q, 280 V, 5.5 E (2006)); TOEFL CBT : 270/300 (2006)

Maths Courses :
Partial Differential equations, Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods, Power Series, Probability theory.

Other Relavent courses:
Methamatical Modeling & Analysis, Optimization
Relavent Management Courses:
Corporate Strategy, E-business Stratedies & Implementation.

Relavent Academic Projects:
Mathematical Modeling of tree growth parameters.
Description: I formulated a mathematical model analyzing all the tree growth parameters with respect to time. A comparison with standard Amazon rain forest data showed consistent trends.

Simulation and 2-D Heat Conduction Analysis of a system with constant conductivity.
Description: This project involved a 2 dimensional analysis of a system using the basic equations of heat flow solved in C++

Programing Skills:
-Certificate course in C++ organized by Continuing Education Program (CEP), IIT Bombay.
-Worked extensively on C++ during my engineering on various projects.
-Proficient in statitical tools such as Origin, Matlab and MS Excel.

Good profile.

GRE verbal could be a little bit higher ;) I'm not sure how important it is for the people making admission decisions, but I would aim to around 400.

Why are you interested in Financial Engineering? What do you expect from this program?

Hello Quantnet members,

My name is Erica and I am currently pursuing a Math undergrad/ Baruch MFE pre-requisites here at Baruch. Next semester will be Calc 2, Regression and Forecasting and Algorithms. I am looking to apply to the MFE program for a Fall of '08 admission.

I am also studying for CFA Level Two, but only a little bit as I am also strenuously enjoying my winter break.

Previously I worked as an ETF/equity options market maker on the AMEX. Great experience, learned a lot, hit the wall WRT my abilities as well as the technological capabilities of the exchange. Right now I am loving school and taking great pleasure in finding pratical applications of my studies.

Besides that, for anyone out there who hasn't taken advantage of the Baruch MFE information sessions, I would highly recommend taking advantage. Also, in addition to Professor Stefanica and Nelisa Roach, I would like to thank the students who where highly candid and incredibly gracious with their time.

Thanks Andy for doing such a great job with this site.

Hello,

I am introducing myself again because I was told my initial intro was lost due to technical problems.

I hold a BE in electrical engineering from City College. I have been in the workforce for almost 11 years now. Currently, I work for Thomson Financial as an IT professional, specializing in networking. I am a seasoned professional, who is looking to go back to school and make a mid-life career change.

I am planning to apply for Fall 2008 admissions. Between now and next spring, I will be working on the admissions process as a long term project. I look forward to participating in this forum in the meantime. I hope to learn from others and to contribute as well. Thank you.

Hello,

I am introducing myself again because I was told my initial intro was lost due to technical problems.

Welcome to QN and thanks for posting this again, Michael.
In your original post, you mentioned that you would take C++ cert at NYU. I wonder why you would have to do since you are a professional programmer at Thompson Financial.

Until you apply, you would have plenty of time to gather the necessary information here. And we look forward to your contribution as well ;)

Welcome to QN and thanks for posting this again, Michael.
In your original post, you mentioned that you would take C++ cert at NYU. I wonder why you would have to do since you are a professional programmer at Thompson Financial.

Until you apply, you would have plenty of time to gather the necessary information here. And we look forward to your contribution as well ;)

That is because I am not a professional programmer. I work mainly with UNIX servers and Cisco networking gear; building / configuring / troubleshooting WAN networks. While I do have to understand shell scripts for my job, I don't have any active programming responsibilities.

Outside of work, my coding experience ranges from C programming done during my undergraduate years to Perl and bash script training undertaken in continuing ed course in more recent times. I have no direct experience in C++, hence the need to take it at NYU.

Besides that, for anyone out there who hasn't taken advantage of the Baruch MFE information sessions, I would highly recommend taking advantage.

Totally agree. Every session is different, and you will learn something new about the program. Personally, I attended all info sessions last Spring ;)

Hello Quantnet members,

My name is Erica and I am currently pursuing a Math undergrad/ Baruch MFE pre-requisites here at Baruch.
Besides that, for anyone out there who hasn't taken advantage of the Baruch MFE information sessions, I would highly recommend taking advantage. Also, in addition to Professor Stefanica and Nelisa Roach, I would like to thank the students who where highly candid and incredibly gracious with their time.
Hi Erica,
I think we met in the Quantnet lounge during one of those following up meetings you guys had with Prof. Stefanica ;)

We're glad to have you join us. Welcome to Quantnet.

Totally agree. Every session is different, and you will learn something new about the program. Personally, I attended all info sessions last Spring ;)
Funny I met Max in the only info session I went to. I heard that Max attended every monthly info sessions at Baruch and Polytech. :prayer:

I wish I knew about the Baruch MFE program earlier so I could attend many of them (I applied in late March and attended the April session). Q/A session with the current students is really helpful. Pretty informative and there is always new info from Director Stefanica.

If Prof. Stefanica allows, I would try to attend some upcoming info sessions to meet the new students and give back what I know.

I heard that Max attended every monthly info sessions at Baruch and Polytech. :prayer:

That is not true ;) I attended the only one of Poly's info sessions, it was enough to get the idea.

Anyone knows the schedule for Baruch MFE upcoming info sessions ? I plan to attend one in the Spring.
Thanks,
Michelle

I could not find two-year full-time study in FE in Baruch now, just a 18-month. Is there still a 2-year option?

You have to complete 36 credits to graduate from the program. This is 3 semesters of study as a full time student. Unfortunately, there is no classes during the summer. On the other hand, it's a good opportunity to have an internship ;)

Anyone knows the schedule for Baruch MFE upcoming info sessions ? I plan to attend one in the Spring.
Thanks,
Michelle

Monday - February 5
Tuesday - March 6
Tuesday - March 27
Monday - April 16

Of course, you should aim for the earliest info session.

Greetings:

My name is Jim Varriale and I am the publisher of
QUANTster: The Quantitative Finance Job Market Daily.

In addition to our specialized job board, we offer a free
newsletter (the QUANTster monthly) to those interested.

All are invited!

Cheers,
Jim

Back