• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hello Andy,
I did study FE Program in Polytechnic University from 2005 to 2006.
Now, I have come back to work in my homeland, Taiwan.
But, I still am waiting for a chance to get a job in NYC if possible..............

ps.I'm NYGiant fans ,too when I was in NYC to watch NFL in TV.
I miss NYC' life about everything, especially in Food.

Josh
Why did you decide to apply at Polytech? did you like the program at Poly? Why did you move back to Taiwan?

I just did want to go NYC to study when I decided to study abroad.
Poly is one choice. Frankly, poly didn't offer much staff in programming and mathematics course, like stochastic calculus and martingale theory....
Poly just gave me conceptual theory in Financial engineering field.
After, I did work on programming and mathematics by self..........

Because of family, I have to back work first.

What a great site you have produced!

My name is Mark Lewis and my firm is www.marklewisinc.com
We specialize in quantitative developer and Financial Engineering roles throughout the USA and have extensive experience in the financial arena past the usual Big Banks and Hedge Funds that are available to most folks with a little investigation and research -
Our goal is and always hs been to match extraordinary talent with extraordinary opportunity - almost 50% of our revenues come from retained searches for firms that are not interested in being bombarded with resumes of the average but seek the resumes of the difference makers.
I hope to assist you in your quest and am happy to answer any questions you may have regardless of the content -
Thank you -

Mark Lewis

Hello!

Hi. I am Andre. I am a CFA charterholder with an academic background is in economics and mathematics. I have 12 years of work experience in areas such as derivatives valuation, quantitative fixed income portfolio management, asset allocation, and hedge funds. I am currently applying for MS in financial engineering/ financial math programs (depending on school.)
I am looking forward to getting different prospectives from people.

Hi Everybody,

I joined because I am very interested in becoming a quant. I am currently working as an Associate Engineer and have a Bachelor's in Electronic Engineering. I would like to get my Master's in Financial Engineering and I'm looking for the best schools to attend. Before attending school though I plan to read a lot of the recommended books for quants.

Hello Everyone!

I actually just heard of Financial Engineering today! I'm currently working on my BS in EE and minoring in business. I intern at an engineering design firm in the city and someone mentioned Financial Engineering so i spent the rest of the day researching the career and fell in love, its exactly what i can see my self doing. My EE curriculum is basically all math science and programming and i was always interested in finance. This site is an incredible help to people interested in this career. I'm really curious about the transition however from an EE who only has work experience in that field and limited finance knowledge (only from an intro class) to pursue a career in finance. Thanks again!

Hello Andy,
But, I still am waiting for a chance to get a job in NYC if possible..............
NYC is very unique and I hardly see myself living anywhere else. Taiwan is a fine place to work and besides, it has many betel nut beauties ;)
ps.I'm NYGiant fans ,too when I was in NYC to watch NFL in TV.
I miss NYC' life about everything, especially in Food.
Josh
You'd better watch the NFC championship game tomorrow. GO GIANTS !

Hello, I am looking into quant as a possible career shift to avoid academia and have more fun and make better $$ than the altenatives at this point. My MSc in Engineering Physics is complimented with a year of a PhD in nuclear medicine imaging physics (withdrew last year). I am currently a research engineer at U of S in Saskatoon's Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies, where I also take an advanced Stats (Time Series) course and an intro to finance. I've ordered Joshi's quant text and plan to give myself a year to prep before deciding whether to start applying. I like to program and have experience with big data sets and modeling but am a hack as a code pump by professional standards.

Looking forward to your posts and learning more on this site!

Hi Josh,

I just came back from a two-week vacation in Taiwan visting relatives. I have forgotten how beautiful the our homeland was. Regarding jobs in NYC, have you started applying? send me a message if you wish.

hi all,
i have been a software consultant for almost 3 years now. have completed my B.E. in EEE from VTU, India. Looking forward to joining Fall 2008 for the MFE. thanx a ton to you wonderful people out here for taking this great initiative for a creating a platform for interaction. Looking forward to it eagerly.

Hi All

Greetings all,

I have been working as a Programmer Analyst for the past seven months. Have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Engg. from Andhra University, India. I Graduated from college about 10 months back. Am genuienly interested in math and soft computing. Lately I've developed a strong interest in finance. Unfortunately, my work profile doesn't give me any scope to pursue my interests :cry:. Hope to pursue my interests by taking up financial engineering. I intend to join the FE course by 2009. Meanwhile, I've started preparing for the course already :D. Looking forward to be a QUANT :tiphat:.

Regards,
Swarup Karavadi.

Hi Everyone:

It is nice to find this place and know friendly people here!

This is Jerome. I am interested in becoming a quant by studying in a MFE program. I studied Electrical Engineering in both undergraduate (B.A.) and graduate (Ph. D.) programs. After that, I have worked for 2 years in an academic institute, mostly investigating new methods to analyze and improve digital signals. My tools of daily work are C++ and Matlab. I learned about derivative products from courses in university.

What I don't know is if, for a person with engineering backgraound, studying in a MFE program will be necessary to step in Quant field? Besides, in what way will age affect the career of a new quant because I am in my early 30s?

I have not read through all the info here but, at first glance, I think they would certainly be very helpful. Thanks for your experience sharing here!

Jerome

Hi Everyone:

It is nice to find this place and know friendly people here!

This is Jerome. I am interested in becoming a quant by studying in a MFE program. I studied Electrical Engineering in both undergraduate (B.A.) and graduate (Ph. D.) programs. After that, I have worked for 2 years in an academic institute, mostly investigating new methods to analyze and improve digital signals. My tools of daily work are C++ and Matlab. I learned about derivative products from courses in university.

What I don't know is if, for a person with engineering backgraound, studying in a MFE program will be necessary to step in Quant field? Besides, in what way will age affect the career of a new quant because I am in my early 30s?

I have not read through all the info here but, at first glance, I think they would certainly be very helpful. Thanks for your experience sharing here!

Jerome
my advice is, with your background, start interviewing. You will learn the finance part on the job.

Hi,

Am Sharmada. Working as a risk manager in India - Looking to pursue my MFE in 2009 and gonna begin working towards the same.

I concur, you may be strong enough now to land a role on Wall Street. Feel free to reach out to me. eric.flemingATexemplar-partners.com

I'd be happy to talk to you about your background. eric.flemingATexemplar-partners.com

Hi Everybody,

I joined because I am very interested in becoming a quant. I am currently working as an Associate Engineer and have a Bachelor's in Electronic Engineering. I would like to get my Master's in Financial Engineering and I'm looking for the best schools to attend. Before attending school though I plan to read a lot of the recommended books for quants.
This is what I am currently recommending to PhDs looking to get into Wall Street:
  • Standard & Poor’s Guide to Money & Investing
  • Heard on the Street: Quantitative Questions from Wall Street Job Interviews By Timothy Falcon Crack
  • Options, Futures and other Derivatives By John Hull
  • My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance By Emanuel Derman
  • [FONT='Garamond','serif']How Would You Move Mount Fuji? By William Poundstone
  • Brain Teasers By Kiran Srinivas
  • Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing Cambridge University
  • Diffusions, Markov Processes and Martingales By Chris Rogers and David Williams
  • Introduction to Stochastic Integration By Kai Lai Chung, R.J. Williams

i should get rid of that annoying thingy at the top so here goes :D

my name is petri and i'm currently in the mfe program at cornell. i'm currently looking for a summer internship in a quantitative trading/modeling type of position. i'm very interested in algorithmic trading.

for now i play poker for a living and have written programs to model various parts of the game, but actually playing bores me for the most part and running bots is illegal, so i'm hoping to do similar things in finance.
give me a call and I will see what we can do regarding internships. What do you play, Texas Hold'Em?

I hear on the board all the time about interviewing, but find it difficult to obtain one. I'm finishing up a PhD in Computational and Applied Math, but have only been able to get one interview. I've applied online all over the web for quant positions. Does anybody know a better way?

I hear on the board all the time about interviewing, but find it difficult to obtain one. I'm finishing up a PhD in Computational and Applied Math, but have only been able to get one interview. I've applied online all over the web for quant positions. Does anybody know a better way?
don't apply online, it's a black hole of resumes. Give me a call and I will see what I can do.

Back