• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Prospective Quant/MFE

Hi everybody :D! I've been reading the forums for months now, but finally decided to stop being lazy and registered. I have an undergrad in math and quantitative economics, and am looking to enter the quant field.

I will be applying to MFE programs for the Fall 2009/Spring 2010 semester. But before doing that, how do you recommend I prepare for such a program (i.e. books, refresher courses, programming :smt024, etc.)

I love the forums so far, and I'm sure I'll be bugging many of you with more questions in the near future, so many thanks in advance!

Hi

Hi everyone,
Its a great forum..Got to know a lot about Financial Engineering..
I am a Electronics Engineer and have a dual MBA(Marketing+finance)..
I have worked for a year in Quantitative research in marketing domain with GFK and NIELSEN in India...
I have a keen interest in quant in financial domain..Looking forward for a MFE course in 2009..

hello everybody, i'm from chicago and currently finishing my phd in computer science.

I would get the books from the master reading list (the first 2,3 sections of the list) and start reading. Read the guide from Mark Joshi, Michael Pages, Dominic to get an idea what one has to go through to get a job.
When you get some idea of what you want to do and how to prepare for them, then go school shopping. In the meantime, prep up on your math, programming skills. Get the C++ books on the list and start doing the exercises. If you don't have the required math background, then take it at some local college.

Just new

Hi everyone my name is lydia and I'm interested in quantnet. I am glad I have your site.

I will be applying to MFE programs for the Fall 2009/Spring 2010 semester. But before doing that, how do you recommend I prepare for such a program (i.e. books, refresher courses, programming).

Buy Benninga's "Financial Modeling using Excel." Work through it. (Make sure it's 3rd edition.)
Buy Wilmott's "Introduction to Quantitative Finance." Read it cover to cover.
Buy Prata's "C++ Primer Plus." Work through it.

This should keep you busy for some months. Then come back and ask some more questions.

Hi guys,

I am Hari. I am in electrical engineering at University of Toronto, Canada. I am in 3rd year right now.

I am trying to figure out if financial engineering is right for me or not. I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me with this. I am a very confused person right now!

So here is my background:
I love mathematics. I have taken three calculus courses, a linear algebra and differential equations course, and a probability course till now. I can take partial differential equations if needed. Plus in EE I am majoring in control systems and communications and DSP, all of which are math oriented.

Now I don't love programming, but I can do it if required. I have taken a couple of courses in it (java and C++). I have done webserver programming in C++ as well. What is the level of programming in financial engineering? Is it really high? Or is it doable for someone with 2-3 years experience of programming in C++? I have knowledge of MATLAB as well. I can also take an intro course in operations research if needed.

Through a mandatory economics course, I am being introduced to bonds and other basic concepts of finance. I find that stuff pretty interesting and in fact that's what spurred me to take a look at jobs dealing with it and led me to financial engineering.

So you guys think that I have the required background to get into financial engineering? And also how do I figure out if financial engineering is right for me or not? Or whether I should try for MBA?

And also do you guys know if the University of Toronto's financial engineering program is any good or not?

Thanks,

Hari.

PS: My plan to see if I like this field or not is as follows: During the summer I will get MS Joshi's book 'Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance'. If I am able to teach it to myself(assuming it can be done by an undegrad) and if I like it, I will try to get into the field. Otherwise...well I guess financial engineering is not for me .

Hi everybody,

My name is Terence and I am completing a masters in EE right now at Georgia Tech. I am having trouble figuring out a career path in EE that I'd like so I looked at other areas where I could apply my skills. I've always like math and enjoyed programming and kind of stumbled on to discovering the career that is a quant. I'm doing some research on it, looking through some related lecture notes on MIT OpenCourse, and hoping to apply in a MFE program Fall 2009 as well.

As another poster noted, this forum has been quite a blessing and I've gained (and likely continue to gain) a ton of beneficial information! So a sincere thanks to everybody on this board!

New Member Say Hi

Hi, Everyone,

Just joined this site and found it a great place to be connected with you guys. I have a M.S. in Engineering with software dev experience in financial firm and try to get into quant.
Is self-study a way to get the 1st job? Are there any better recruiters in NorthEast in today's tought market.

Thanks

Hi Larry,
I already feel connected to you :)
Self-study is a way to gain knowledge, not necessarily the first quant job. To transfer knowledge into jobs, you have to market yourself. You have to be really out there: network, talk to recruiters.
By Northeast, I assume you mean NYC unless you include Boston. Chicago is midwest.
There are a few local recruiters here (Todd Fahey, TimZ, EricFlemmings) which you can represent yourself to.

There is also a growing trend of private recruitment that happens on Quantnet. There are hiring managers that visit Quantnet and privately contact members that they are interested in. I know that for a fact because several of them have contacted me to see if I know someone of such and such qualifications.

If you represent yourself professionally and positively, chances are somebody will contact you.

On the intro note, I have recently joined the site as well. My background is a Bachelors from IIIT in Computer Science, and currently with a consulting firm.

Have always been an avid follower of macro-economics and capital markets, but got inspired on becoming a quant while doing extensive consulting for Prime brokerages. As an aspiring quant, I have found the posts here extremely useful, and interesting.

Kudos to Andy, John and other for their great work in keeping this forum bubbling!

Introduction

Hi Guys,

On the introduction front, I am working with Nokia Siemens Networks, Bangalore, India as a software research engineer... with a longstanding interest in maths and finance, I hope to pursue a masters degree in financial engineering in near future. I am happy to have joined this forum where i can meet people with the same career interests and i hope to learn a lot from the experts here.

Hi, everybody, this is jack from China.
I used to be majoring in math as undergrad. Currently working as an accountant in accounting firm.I'm planning for entering the MFE in 2009. Hope that will be true...:dance:
Thanks for so much info in this forum:)

hello everybody !!

Hello everybody ......
I am shankar here, just joined this community and would like to say hi to all :).

Hello Everyone!

Hi all,

This is really a very impressive forum. Threads are helpful, people are willing to help each other. That's why I decide to join.

I work as a Credit Risk Analyst in US BanK right now. I'm planning to apply for the MFE in 2009.

I believe I will have a lot of questions to ask.

Thanks to your reply in advance!

:D

Hi ! I am a new comer !

I am a new comer ! I found this forum when I searching for financial engineering related information. I wish I can find something about convertible bond or volatility trading!

Hi ! I am a new comer!

I am a new comer! I found this forum when I was searching for Black-Sholes via Monte-Carlo Simulation related information.

Back