• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hello everyone,

I am a mechanical engineer with an undergrad/masters in applied mathematics where I concentrated in computational/numerical methods and theoretical fluid mechanics.

I have worked in the petrochemical industry for the four years after I finished school and I am now considering a career change to find something more challenging. I would prefer a career that would allow me to apply more of my mathematics and C/C++ programming skills. Quantitative analyst seems like a good place to look as I also have an interest in the markets.

I look forward to frequenting this forum to do my research and eventually ask a few questions once I know more.

Hi This is my first time to this forum. I just want to say hello.

I think Baruch has a great community.

It seems I forgot to introduce myself - I'm Mike or "QuantStart" and have just recently finished a PhD in Numerical Methods/Fluid Dynamics at Imperial College London.

Looking forward to some (more) interesting conversations!

Hello, I'm new on here & thought I'd say hello. I recently started my own one-man firm running ATS in the equities space. I live in West Village and work down town. I'm looking to expand my business by partnering with successful traders/active portfolio managers. I can offer automation, optimization, leverage, etc.

Not trying to spam... Just introducing myself.

Cheers,
Tom

sheng is saying hi to everybody and ask for advices

Hello everyone, my name is sheng from China. This is no doubt a great website. I am currently applying the master degree in mathematical finance and financial engineering program at many high ranked programs. So for i only get one phone interview from Baruch, but unfortunately, i was declined. so i am nervous now, extremely. so i wish you guys can give me some opinions about how likely i can get into some of good programs. Please reply me once you check out my key background. Thanks so much

a. I am current studying in the University at Albany(Central SUNY campus).-- last term.
b. Major: Economics and Mathematics with GPA around 3.7, math major GPA 3.9
c. Minor: Business minor 3.9
d. Computer skills: expert in Java, excel. Trying to learn C++ by myself since my school
doesn't offer it.
e. 2 years' oversea study experience in Hong Kong for Economics and Finance'
f. intern in the Downtown Schenectady Improvement Coporation as an Economic
development assistant. take responsibility to develop database system with excel
skills, market research for manager, and website updates.

Hello all. I may be one of the younger members here, I'm in a gap year before starting higher education next year. Looking to complete a BEng (CS) or a liberal arts with double major in maths and comp sci.

Also interested in AI, particularly machine learning. In the midst of a few comp sci books: PAIP, SICP, AIMA, K&R. Also working through M. Joshi's The Concepts of Mathematical Finance, with a few others on the shelf once I get through these.

Being at a very early stage in study, I'll definitely withhold from spamming the discussion with useless questions/statements, once I get a firmer hold of concepts I'll start to venture out.

Hello All, I have completed my BEng(Comp). Looking forward to pursue masters in computational finance after a year or so. Going through different threads of this forum is a big help in increasing my knowledge base and information. Hope to contribute in future.

Hey All,

I just finished my second year pursuing double degrees in Math and EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) at Berkeley. I'm interested finance and planning to apply to masters programs in a year or so.

Sorry I think I forgot to introduce myself.

My name is Andy, I did my first BS in Software Engineering, and I'm now about to start a banking and Finance undergrad.
Currently I work in I.T and have contracted to banks in the past, which got me interested in the subject.

hi, my name is Denis. I'm Ukrainian. Currently I work in Asia in one of the largest Investment Banks.

Hey everyone,

My name is Julien,
I'm studying for a double degrees in Computational finance in an Engineering school at Paris and in Applied mathematics for finance in the University Paris 7 in France.

At the end of that, I'd like to continue in a US University for a MFE. However, I have to pass the GRE test and for foreigner students, I think It's very harder than a local one, isn't it ?

See you on this very interesting forum!

Hello everyone,

I'm Doug. I currently work for a major Defense company in Texas.

I have a undergrad in Math and Mechanical Engineering. I finished my MBA from SMU-Cox last December.

Looking at a potential career shift. Really love the markets...not sure if quant or trading or what else at this point...trying to find out. Specifically I am in to equity options trading -- done that on my own for a few years.

Anyway...hope I can learn a lot and maybe contribute from time to time.

Hi all,

I joined only a couple of days ago. I have a bachelor's (hons) in Mathematics and Computer Science. Market risk is my field but I'm currently contracting in financial engineering. My focus now is on modeling exotic instruments.

Hope to learn much from you!

Greetings

Greetings all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have a BS degree in Electrical Engineering and a MS degree in Industrial Engineering. I recently moved to New York from Chicago and will be applying to MFE programs for admission in the Fall of 2011.

There is a ton of helpful information on this forum and I thank you Andy for starting and maintaining it. I'm looking forward to participating more. Thanks.

hi all, i am the guy who never had a name i was just known as "the quant" and so when i went out on my own i decided i would make sure i used my real name which is mark brown. in retrospect i know now i should have taken it as a compliment not having a name but rather being identified with what i do.

mark brown

hello all - Biddy from Australia here - I am currently a statistical fraud analyst pondering the move into quant finance. Have put a question in the careers section, so have a look if you have time - all feedback appreciated.

Hello from Denmark<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Currently doing an MSc in engineering physics, but moving into finance<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Found quantnet to be a great source of information, so will be hanging around here a lot

Back