• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU B.S./M.S. 5 Year Program?

I'm currently an undergraduate underclassman at NYU Arts and Sciences majoring in Mathematics and minoring in Econ. I want to pursue a career in quantitative finance but I do not have a prevailing interest in pure programming so to speak. I have the opportunity to apply for the 5 year accelerated B.S./M.S. program by my junior year.

I'd like some input into whether I should pursue this course, or perhaps graduate with a B.S. in Math, work for a few years as a junior quant, and then apply for an MFE at Columbia, NYU, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the M.S. in math is sufficient for quantitative finance, or is an MFE/Math Finance Masters an absolute requirement?

A general disinterest in getting your hand dirty aka programming would prevent you from a lot of entry level positions. What do you think you can contribute with a Bachelor degree?
Going by what the recruiters have been echoing here for quite sometimes, a master degree is a minimum requirement. A bachelor today is a high school degree 20 years ago.

Andy, it's not so much as general disinterest as it is a lack of experience / knowledge of programming. I really don't know if I like it or not, I don't know much about it. I'm set on obtaining a masters no matter what, I just don't know if the accelerated program is a good choice or not because it is a pure Math M.S. Unless a big idea hits me in the head in the shower one day and I drop out of school to start making computers in my garage or whatnot, I'll continue to pursue a masters.

Any chances you could take a programming classe as an elective? If you like to pursue in the quant field it will be necessary. C++ is widely used.

Any chances you could take a programming classe as an elective? If you like to pursue in the quant field it will be necessary. C++ is widely used.

I'm considering a double major Math and CS and dropping econ as a minor. Classes like object oriented programming have extensive prerequisites. The minor requirements are paltry and contain little programming. I might as well pursue a full degree if I want to take the advanced classes.

I'm curious, does one have to have any programming experience to apply for an MFE, Math Fin. program, or does it start from square one?

I'm considering a double major Math and CS and dropping econ as a minor. Classes like object oriented programming have extensive prerequisites. The minor requirements are paltry and contain little programming. I might as well pursue a full degree if I want to take the advanced classes.

I'm curious, does one have to have any programming experience to apply for an MFE, Math Fin. program, or does it start from square one?

I think it is a big disadvantage if you don't have any programming exp. Most of the schools I've applied to had an explicit requirements for prog. classes.

You could ask your school if it is possible for you to take a prog classes as an elective without having done the prereqs. You just need to explain to them your motivations, I'm sure it can be done.

I think it is a big disadvantage if you don't have any programming exp. Most of the schools I've applied to had an explicit requirements for prog. classes.

You could ask your school if it is possible for you to take a prog classes as an elective without having done the prereqs. You just need to explain to them your motivations, I'm sure it can be done.

Thanks for replying Dibbs. I'll definitely try that.

Back