• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

P = NP Solved?

Yes, I have seen that, as well as academic responses.
It seems likely that his basic idea is right, but there are some erroneous details.

Don't expect a finished proof until maybe a year from now.

Yes! It's exciting to know that we're finally (fairly) close to solving P != NP....it's the first claimed proof from a credible source. Everyone I know who's studying theoretical computer science has had their hands full the last few days.
For those interested,

Deolalikar P vs NP paper - Polymath1Wiki

It would've been been great if P = NP :D

I have to disagree there. First off, that would mean some of our encryption algorithms would not be secure, AND the proof would indirectly suggest a method of attack. Besides that, much research has assumed that P=/=NP

That's exactly why I was saying it would be neat. Proving something you know to be true has it's own merits. But having to rethink everything you know because it's been disproven, now that's a radical shacking up. Deep down though I do believe P!=NP ...

Yes! It's exciting to know that we're finally (fairly) close to solving P != NP....it's the first claimed proof from a credible source.

It is very hard to quantify how far away one is, if being close to a proof. It might be in a far away region, until proven otherwise ;)

Quote - me:
It seems likely that his basic idea is right, but there are some erroneous details.

Don't expect a finished proof until maybe a year from now
I win. Well, so does the professor ;)

didn't the great Terence Tao buried the proof already? there is not much in there unfortunately....a valiant attempt though.

Back