• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD in Economics for Quantitative Researcher jobs

Hello guys,
If I learn how to code in C++ (I already know how to code in Python and will learn R) and get a PhD in Economics from CUNY concentration of financial economics + econometrics, do you know how hard it would be to break in the industry for a quantitative researcher role?
Thanks in advance

I will answer the first part of your question: C++ is a great skill to learn and it helps you become a good programmer (in this context Python and R are just (albeit useful) scripting tools. The best course around IMHO (I am the originator) is Quantnet/Baruch C++ courses.

I am not sure what quantitative researchers (a big area?) do precisely but I reckon it would be very computational, in which case C++ is probably going be very useful.

Yes Prof. Daniel, I happened to look at the slides of your course and they are really amazing. I am currently doing my masters and maybe when I have more time and money, I can take your C++ course. Also maybe to modify my question a little bit, since being a quantitative researcher requires extensive amount of statistics, mathematics and programming, I was curious whether the maths part of Economics PhD will give me similar exposure of those maths areas.

Ahududu,
I have noticed that people with an Econometrics background focus on certain applications of (discrete) mathematics and not on others that are somewhat more quantitative/numeric/applied in nature. Some possible attention points off-hand:

Continuous models (ODE, SDE, PDE) and their numerical approximation
'Thinking' in algorithms, i.e. take problem-> algorithm -> code

It's a kind of different approach to solving problems.

For prototypes, Python libraries are probably useful.

The point about C++ is that it is almost maths.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Not likely. Econ PhDs might land in a quantitative research role at a mid-tier shop on the buyside, but more likely a strategist role. Which isn't a terrible thing. Check out the websites of CMU, UCB, Baruch to get an idea of what topics are covered. "Quant", to Prof Duffy's point, is a fairly broad description of an area with several seemingly non-overlapping skill sets. Though some are converging. . .

Back