• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please, help me to project a multi-year education programme, Thanks!!

I am Rocco, a 19 years-old Italian student, now I am attending the first year of Civil Engineering course at University.

One of my dream is working in finance, due to a natural passion and moved by a certain greediness....South of Italy is not an Heaven.

I am studying Engineering because my Father has a little projecting society but I don't like to put all eggs in the same sack.

I have made a lot of researchs but now I believe to be in the right place to obtain some information.....

Like I can understand a role in the quantitative analysis let to make more money than a role in "normal" analysis.......correct me if I am wrong.

However I have decided to do CFA (it's not very expensive), to try to reach the third level, In the next year I will study in UK thank to Erasmus Programme, it can help to develop my language-skill and to know better the atmosphere.

First Question:
-What can a Third-level CFA guarantee about entry-level salary, stability, career development?

I know that It's a bit OT but I will pleased to list your opinion and experiences.

Second Question:
-What can an ACCA guarantee about entry-level salary, stability, career development?

Third Question:
-CFQ is really expensive also If I don't want to attend courses (like I will do for CFA)? And what can you say about its importance?

Fourth Question:
-GreMath an G-Mat are valid instruments to impressionate recruiters?I have a certain talent for math.....maybe I hpe so...

Fifth Question:
-I believe that an MFE is more useful than a PhD to get a good entry level job.....am I wrong?PhD is too long.....but an MFE is really expensive (maybe I can search for a scolarship or a sponsor?)

Sixth Question:
-MFE vs MBA......but I cannot permit myself to go to Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge etc.

Seventh Question:
-Can you write if there is a diploma to certificate good C++ skills?It can be useful?

Eighth Question:
-I need absolutely indication to try to do an Internship, I know that they are OK!Can someone help?

Nineth Question:
-MFE+CFA+eventually CFQ+ a good score in GreMath and GMat + no experience, how much can I obtain by first salary?In London?In NYC?
I know 50,000 puond or 100,000 dollar (tell me if with bonuses or not).....but how many possibilities (you can answer also in terms of percentage) there are to reach 300,000-500,000 dollar or 150,000-250,000 pounds after the famous "five year"?

Thanks for your time!!!!!!
I will really appreciate every written words.

Initially I want to thank you for the informations.

First Reply:
So CFA is not very useful lto get a quantitative job, maybe is more researched in Investiment Banking, or not?But a plus point is ever a plus point.....

Third Reply:
So with no experience It'impossible to take certificate?It need some other certificate to do the lower level?I have discovered that the distance-training is very cheap (1:10 respect the cdost of the normal course), so It can be a my important target. If CQF is really targeted towards people who are already working in near quant-type positions, It can do a certain difference, am i wrong?

Fourth Reply:
I suspected this thing, but inn USA how can they be important?

Fifth Reply:
Good, so I don't need to pass two years more but only one to study eventually....

Sixth Reply:
Maybe the same difference between CFA and CFQ?

Eighth Reply:
I suspected also this thing, It's difficult but I will try to do something.

Nineth Answer:
So there are more than 50% of possibilities?

Thanks!!!

1: CFA is rarely enough to get you a quant job of any kind.
2: Nothing is a guarantee of anything, but it can help get you an OK job
3: I teach on the CQF, so have to declare an interest but again it can help
4: Managers prefer actual qualifications
5: The question is wrong. Do you want to do a PhD ? If so do what interest you, else do not.
6: Don't understand your logic. I suspect there is no logic here.
7: There is no good formal C++ qualification anywhere. But we do C++ on the CQF.
But C++ is very important.
8: It's hard to get internships. Start work oin that now.
9: Your numbers are not too high.

Reply to DominiConnor.

First of all, Thanks for your time.

5: My interest depends on value in quant-job market, so: PhD has more value than a MFE or the best thing is to thake them both?

6: In Financial Times Mba world-ranking is written that a Top University (Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge) can easily offer an average salary of $ 150,000 (really good).....but I don't have so much money to pay these type of courses....so: with no much money to spent, MFE can outperform an MBA, in terms of salary offered, or not?

8: I know, I know, really difficult because it's nearly impossible to demostrate something with no cv by an online-application.......I will start work on this. Maybe have you got a giude?I need to know how and where apply......In this field I have no information.

9: Ok, but if you have more precise information, please write them.

Thanks, DominiConnor.

Nobody have nothing to add? Especially about where I can find information, guide, indication about Internship?

Maybe Wilmoot Forum?

Thank You!!

Back