• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantitative Methods and Modeling

2 cents

At Baruch, Stats and CIS are the same department both of which are housed in the business school, Zicklin. I have taken STA 2000, CIS 3100 and STA 3155(which was merged into a graduate level class due to lack of student interest. I was very dissatisfied with all of these courses, and interestingly enough, for three very different reasons. At this point, I am highly disinterested in taking any more classes in Stats or CIS at Baruch. For what's it's worth, I have nothing but positive comments for all of the MTH courses taken at Baruch. Please understand this is only one student's opinion, but three bad experiences? Either I am just not for them or the courses and faculty in this department are "uneven" at best.

Can anyone comment on the following course for an undergrad degree? Does this course even prepare you for the MFE track? It looks fairly interesting.

Computer Information Systems and Statistics - Undergraduate Bulletin - Academic Programs - Baruch College

Which course are you talking about? QMM is a degree made up of several courses. If you are looking for courses that will help you succeed in MFE, try Object Oriented Programming I and II, Intro to Probability, Intro to Stochastic Processes, Intro to Math Stats, Risk Theory, Intro to Math Finance (the last 5 are MTH courses from the Math department so they aren't really QMM), System Simulation.

But as you can see there isn't much in QMM that will help prepare for MFE. If you can take courses from other departments or courses within CIS outside of QMM, take courses in C++, probability, differential equations, linear algebra, calculus, and finance.

At Baruch, Stats and CIS are the same department both of which are housed in the business school, Zicklin. I have taken STA 2000, CIS 3100 and STA 3155(which was merged into a graduate level class due to lack of student interest. I was very dissatisfied with all of these courses, and interestingly enough, for three very different reasons. At this point, I am highly disinterested in taking any more classes in Stats or CIS at Baruch. For what's it's worth, I have nothing but positive comments for all of the MTH courses taken at Baruch. Please understand this is only one student's opinion, but three bad experiences? Either I am just not for them or the courses and faculty in this department are "uneven" at best.

There might be various reasons for your dissatisfaction. It all depends on your expectation and your area of interest, and also on who is teaching the class.
I personally liked classes taught by Professors Gottlieb, Tatum, Matthew Johnson. They taught classes that were in their area of expertise.

Back