• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Recruiters for Internships?

Joy Pathak

Swaptionz
I was just wondering... Do students use recruiters for internships also? I know for full-time it is common, but what about for internships?

I have had several internships in engineering before and just applied online and got in and so on. I thought maybe because recruiters are so common in Finance industry that there might be for interns also. I have never heard of internship headhunters or anything. But I was just wondering... I am not looking for an internship or anything right now..but just something that popped in my head.

there is a threat around here that discusses this topic. Search for it

there is a threat around here that discusses this topic. Search for it

I searched "Internship Recruiter" ... "Recruiter for internship" .. etc. Couldn't find it. Hmm... Let me try a few others.

it might be disguised under some other topic. IIRC, the bottom line was, don't do it.

it might be disguised under some other topic. IIRC, the bottom line was, don't do it.

Sounds good. I was just curious in knowing if there even existed internship recruiters. I know there are some (non-profit organisations mostly) for unpaid internships and so on, but wasn't sure how it was for paid internships.

I saw this piece last year and googled to find the link on NYT

The program advertises a guaranteed internship placement, eight weeks of summer housing, five meals a week, seminars and tours around New York City for $7,999. It has a full-time staff of 45, and says it placed 1,600 student interns in 13 cities around the world this year, charging up to $9,450 for a program in London and as little as $5,499 in Costa Rica.

The money goes to the University of Dreams and the other middlemen like it. Officials at the company say they are able to wrangle hard-to-get internships for their clients because they have developed extensive working relationships with a variety of employers. They also have an aggressive staff who know who to call where. Their network of contacts, they say, is often as crucial as hard work in professional advancement.

Students Pay Services to Obtain Internships - NYTimes.com

The program advertises a guaranteed internship placement, eight weeks of summer housing, five meals a week, seminars and tours around New York City for $7,999. It has a full-time staff of 45, and says it placed 1,600 student interns in 13 cities around the world this year, charging up to $9,450 for a program in London and as little as $5,499 in Costa Rica.

Interesting article, but the paying so much money for an unpaid internship... I don't know about that.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Chicago

Program Tuition: $6,999

Includes:
GUARANTEED Internship, Meal Plan, housing in chicago, career development, tours of Chicago, etc from June to August.

Lol Don't we pay 10 times this to a university to do the same.

I must say that I'm sceptical about the idea of paying for internships.

It is of course rational for the student to do so, if it is part of a path to a good job, but I have to wonder what sort of jobs this will find for you.

People here on QN have very specific needs in terms of internships, we've looked at some sort of 'speed dating' but it's been tough to launch.

When I look closely at the NYT article , I see what is going on there.
Traditionally the way into media if you don't have family 'connections' is by blow jobs, but this has declined for various reasons.

Firstly, more executives at magazines are now women, who might appreciate a toyboy, but are much less likely to give jobs for sexual favours.

The ever increasing supply/demand ratio means that male media executives simply can't accept any more sex than they are currently offered, even though some have subcontracted it to favoured subordinates.

At one point during what my wife called "working for those bastards" I ended up with a media job title that impressed some people, which I have to admit surprised me.

Suddenly my jokes became much funnier, my insights into politics and science were much more appreciated, and my catastrophically poor taste in clothing was now seen as stylish....
...amongst a surprisingly large number of attractive young people of various sexes.

No, I wasn't editor of Vogue, I was Test Director at PC Magazine, which I suspect is not the #1 target for media wannabes, I wasn't even adored in my own office, god only knows what people with glam jobs get.

I suspect the "tours" etc are to get around the fact that in many places it is illegal for a recruiter to charge the candidate for finding a job.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to pay for an unpaid internship. Although I wouldn't mind an unpaid internship.

My course-load for this summer is not too heavy(2 finance classes only) and I will be in Chicago anyways, so just been looking around for paid/unpaid internships in the Chicago region so that I can learn real-time right away if possible.

lol If not, going to do an independent study on forecasting gold or oil prices using heston model.

You may find out that it's illegal for firm to offer an unpaid internship.
California and some other states require that interns receive college credit as a condition of being unpaid. But federal regulators say that receiving college credit does not necessarily free companies from paying interns, especially when the internship involves little training and mainly benefits the employer.
Ms. Steinfeld said some industries, most notably film, were known for unpaid internships, but she said other industries were embracing the practice, seeing its advantages.
“A few famous banks have called and said, ‘We’d like to do this,’ ” Ms. Steinfeld said. “I said, ‘No way. You will not list on this campus.’ ”
“If you’re a for-profit employer or you want to pursue an internship with a for-profit employer, there aren’t going to be many circumstances where you can have an internship and not be paid and still be in compliance with the law,” said Nancy J. Leppink, the acting director of the department’s wage and hour division.
Growth of Unpaid Internships May Be Illegal, Officials Say - NYTimes.com

Back