• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Required vs Advantageous

Hi Guys,

I am preparing to apply for MFE at Baruch in Fall '09.

I am taking Calc II this summer, Linear Algebra & Probability in the Fall.
Once finished, I would have the "minimum" required courses (I know c++) to apply for the program.

Can I rely on the "advanced calculus refresher course" to teach me the contents of Calc III, ODE and PDE? Or whether the "refresher" course is simply a refresher and assumes that ppl have taken these courses in the past?

In case of latter, I will plan to take them before Fall '09.
However, because of time constraint, I may only be able to take two out of the aforementioned three. In that case which two do you recommend?

Cheers,
Vic

The refresher course will probably be what its title suggest: go over the fundamental results rapidly, with maybe some worked problems at the blackboard. It won't work as a first-time introduction unless you are gifted (unlike a clod like myself). It may cover bits of ODEs, but no PDEs.

I don't know precisely what's in Calc 3 -- usually it's multivariable calculus + vector calculus. Sometimes a bit of ODEs is thrown in. The multivariable you need for PDEs, but a budding quant can probably dispense with vector calculus (though the absence of it makes me uneasy as everyone should know stuff like div, grad, curl, line integrals, surface integrals, and Stokes theorem). If you can only do two of the three, make it ODEs and PDEs. Though again, I think you're rushing it, and you'll pay the price both in your FE courses and in the world of work. Ah, the impetuosity of youth ....

Sir Bigbadwolf, not everyone from this forum goes to Baruch, thus for these non-Baruchers would it suffice to just review Dr Stefanica's Primer book, to get up to speed on math skills? Anything in addition to that?

also, how competent does one need to be in terms of the various skills (programming, math, finance, and the softer skills of networking and interviewing etc) to be a top player in a MFE program. Is there any way to gauge the level of one's competitiveness and progress of learning as we plunge head-on into the program?

simply put, if you were the professor/recruiter for graduates of these programs, what are the most important qualities/skills/achievements that would set one candidate apart from another, that you can rely on to spot and seperate the beast from the crowd?

as if these aren't enough questions, here's one more to grill you&others to death:
Based on your personal experiences and any anecdotes you hear, what do you wish you had done during your MFE that you didn't do, that would further boost your overall competitveness and track record? What should be the main focus throughout our MFE/MSMF studies? (3 semesters at rutgers is really short, and I really want to hit the nail right on the head instead of strethcing my energy too thin over too many things that dont matter equally)

thanks in advance for people's constructive inputs!!

But one must keep in mind that Dr. Stefanica's book is after a review of the necessary calculus. It is by no means a substitute for learning the material. But if pressed for time, the book does provides an excellent review.

Another possibility, in addition to Dr. Stefanica's book, would be to purchase and work through the Schaum's ODE and PDE books. Although, attempting PDEs without a firm foundation in multivariate calculus would be a bit tough.

Poirot,

Keep in mind the minimum is nothing more than a benchmark. It would be wise to work beyond the 'minimum' - as the difficulty of the math you will encounter in an MFE will far exceed that of the 'minimum' courses.

Sir Bigbadwolf, not everyone from this forum goes to Baruch, thus for these non-Baruchers would it suffice to just review Dr Stefanica's Primer book, to get up to speed on math skills? Anything in addition to that?

Dan Stefanica's book is superb (I have a copy myself). And I'm waiting with bated breath for the three books that are to follow this one. But if you read the preface to Dan's book, he makes it clear that it's used for a refresher course in the Baruch MFE program. I presume that most of the students in that program have already taken standard courses in calc 1,2,3; in linear algebra upto eigenvectors and the finite-dimensional spectral theorem; in calc-based probability theory (at the level of Ross); in mathematical statistics; and at least one course in ODEs (if not PDEs). I reiterate that these courses shouldn't be rushed. It takes time to assimilate the ideas and become comfortable with computations. I see quite a few people here, from outside math and physics, driven irrational by their craving for lucre, and looking to cut corners and find shortcuts.

also, how competent does one need to be in terms of the various skills (programming, math, finance, and the softer skills of networking and interviewing etc) to be a top player in a MFE program. Is there any way to gauge the level of one's competitiveness and progress of learning as we plunge head-on into the program?

Sorry, pal, this is outside my narrow realm of competence. Better to ask Dominic (Connor), Dan (Stefanica) or Andy.

thanks bigbadwolf for sharing your views on the nature of the intense preparation required for MFE program. It's a good reality check here for those of us who have still not woken up to the fact that it will be a long winding journey that necessitates we do all we can while we can before everything is too late.

can anyone else answer the other questions i posed, which i copied below?

simply put, if you were the professor/recruiter for graduates of these programs, what are the most important qualities/skills/achievements that would set one candidate apart from another, that you can rely on to spot and seperate the beast from the crowd?

as if these aren't enough questions, here's one more to grill you&others to death:
Based on your personal experiences and any anecdotes you hear, what do you wish you had done during your MFE that you didn't do, that would further boost your overall competitveness and track record? What should be the main focus throughout our MFE/MSMF studies? (3 semesters at rutgers is really short, and I really want to hit the nail right on the head instead of strethcing my energy too thin over too many things that dont matter equally)

I can't speak to the content of the refresher, but if DEs are new to you the MFE course is going to hurt.
As I say in the review on my blog, Stefanica's primer is both a help and a filter.

It's also worth commenting upon your goal of being a "top player" in the Baruch program.
Your classmates aren't really the competition, they are your network, and represent only about 1% of those seeking the sort of jobs you desire.

It's also worth commenting upon your goal of being a "top player" in the Baruch program.
Your classmates aren't really the competition, they are your network, and represent only about 1% of those seeking the sort of jobs you desire.

I can't emphasize this enough. Look at your classmates as a probable source of employment in the future not as the competition.

but if DEs are new to you the MFE course is going to hurt.
As I say in the review on my blog, Stefanica's primer is both a help and a filter.

I just wanted to elaborate a bit on this. I see some people on this forum coming from a non-quantitative background excitedly asking how they can get get admitted to an MFE program and whether the pay is astronomical or merely stratospheric. But if their attitude to math is merely as a stepping stone, or as a hurdle that has to be cleared, I wonder if they'll ever acquire the quantitative mastery that's needed. Real quants can calculate a contour integral or sum an infinite series without thinking, and probably acquired that skill before even arriving at U. A quantitative bias is in their blood, and the quantitative skills they acquire are second nature. They turn to quant work as a way of making a living and many of them would turn to math and physics careers if the jobs were there (even though they may pay much less). If a student doesn't have this quantitative bias, it's unlikely he'll ever get up to speed on quant matters. And this particularly holds true if his interest is purely mercenary. My humble opinion.

@ Poirot

An excellent complement to Dr. Stefanica's book would be "All the Mathematics You Missed: But Need to Know for Graduate School" by Thomas A Garrity. At a fairly inexpensive price of $35, you should consider acquiring a copy. While book won't teach you all that you need to (or should) know, it will give you pretty good but terse exposure to some of the math.

Dan Stefanica's book is superb (I have a copy myself).

Thanks!

And I'm waiting with bated breath for the three books that are to follow this one.

While that might take a little while, the real goal is to write books that will be useful to a large audience - as refreshing materials, complements to self-studying, and reference books. They will be published only when the authors are completely satisfied that the books are achieveing these goals. (Ideally, we would publish a book a year.)

But if you read the preface to Dan's book, he makes it clear that it's used for a refresher course in the Baruch MFE program.

For the refresher course, I will assume everyone taking the course (which is only offered to students admitted in the Baruch MFE program) read the book and worked through the solutions (which I am slowly posting on QuantNet here). We will then delve deeper into some of the topics and ask some more challenging questions , hopefully leading to a deeper understanding of the material.

I presume that most of the students in that program have already taken standard courses in calc 1,2,3; in linear algebra upto eigenvectors and the finite-dimensional spectral theorem; in calc-based probability theory (at the level of Ross); in mathematical statistics; and at least one course in ODEs (if not PDEs).

Most (but not necessarily all) of our students have taken Calculus 1 and 2, Linear Algebra and Probability. Some have taken many other courses as well, including ODEs and PDEs. More important than having taken a long list of math courses is to have performed well in math courses, and exhibit natural talent and inclination for math. (This alludes to another post of bigbadwolf as well, to which I fully subscribe.)

Back