• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Student reviewers of MFE programs

I don't like this new interview format. The question/answer type of format was much better.
third on board the "bring the old review style back" train
This is a temp format while we work to revamp our review system (part of a large scale site redesign). Did you guys ever use Yelp, CNET review, etc?
Put yourself through a reviewer's shoes. Are you more likely to spend 30 minutes answering 20 items questionnaire? Or more so if you have been presented with about 4,5 text boxes?

maybe i'm different but i would actually prefer a questionnaire if i were to write a review on something... at least that way i can just answer questions and be done with it. if im only presented with a few blank text boxes for me to type in, i'm afraid i will unintentionally miss some important information

This is a temp format while we work to revamp our review system (part of a large scale site redesign). Did you guys ever use Yelp, CNET review, etc?
Put yourself through a reviewer's shoes. Are you more likely to spend 30 minutes answering 20 items questionnaire? Or more so if you have been presented with about 4,5 text boxes?
I would prefer a one box review for a toaster (does it work? is the toast even? does it set your house on fire? great.). I would prefer an in depth review for something more complex like an MFE program ;)

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I obsessively researched every aspect of both undergraduate and graduate institutions. I checked rankings, professor research interests and pored over every bit of information that I could find - because I'm not buying a toaster, I'm making a decision with potential for drastic life-altering effects. I simply want more information.

Have I read CNET reviews? Not really. I find them not nearly in depth enough. If I'm looking to buy a phone I look at gizmodo or engadget. If I'm looking for laptop/computer parts anandtech is a good place to start.

As a matter of fact, the general "the more impact this will have on me, the more research I want to do and the more information I want to see" rule seems to apply to everything in life for me... crazy, I never realized this.

Consequently I would prefer more structured reviews of such things as they tend to be much more homogenous and allow for much easier comparisons. I would also prefer to fill out a more in depth and structured review. I'd probably start to fill out the review, get lost for words or begin to wonder what it is that I'm supposed to write, and then give up altogether...

Perhaps default to the more structured review with the option of going to the less structured one should one feel so inclined? Just a suggestion.

But I guess the amount of material typed by the reviewer is almost the same.. Precise answers for 10-20 questions and really long essay answers to 3-4 questions.. i believe preference should be given to the readers over reviewers..

Hi andy , could you please provide a feedback about NYU POLY MFE programme.
i have an admit from there for fall 2011. dont know whether i should choose Poly or someother school

also pls give some suggestion about USC MFE programme.
Read reviews about IIT chicago seems its not worth going there considering they have no career services

+1
But I guess the amount of material typed by the reviewer is almost the same.. Precise answers for 10-20 questions and really long essay answers to 3-4 questions.. i believe preference should be given to the readers over reviewers..

Moving back to the long form of the programs review would be more actionable information for readers, which is a very good thing

What do you think is unique about this program?
What is the worst thing about the program?
Are the applied classes taught by academics or practitioners?
What job did the program help you land?
Describe the student body in 12 words or less.
Do you think you got an education or did you just get your ticket punched?

Would it be good if we could rate a program without giving a proper review ? I think that it could be good since some ex-students don't necessary have time to devote to writing a long form review. Since you verify the data on each person who submit a review, you could use the same device to verify that people who rate a certain program really is an ex-student from this program.

Since giving only one average grade is, in my opinion, not really relevant, you could create like a 5 field rating so people could rate job placement/flexibility/quality of teaching/student body/accessibility of the faculty.

A good question is "How did they help when you hit a problem understanding something ?"

Unless you are very much smarter than me, you occasionally get lectured on something that you just don't get. Also many students get tangled in issues to do with their first language vs the arcane English sometimes used in this field.

Back