• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Sub GRE Math

Hi,
I am Mudit From India.
I am Bachelor of Electrical Engineering.(2 year work exp. in IT :smt024 )
I am very much interested to pursue the MFE course in fall '09.
To bolster my profile i am writing the GRE sub test(mathematics) in october.
I would be grateful if you please guide me on how to prepare for the same and suggest me some books.

Thanks in advance,
Mudit

many Thanks for really quick reply...
Would you recommend any books on specific topic...

Cheers.........
keep learning

There is a book by Princeton Review but it is full of errors. It wouldn't hurt to take a look through the book, but don't delve to deeply into it. Here is breakdown of questions on the Math GRE:

Calculus - 50%
Material learned in the usual sequence of elementary calculus courses - differential and integral calculus of one and of several variables - includes calculus-based applications and connections with coordinate geometry, trigonometry, differential equations, and other branches of mathematics
Algebra - 25%

• Elementary algebra: basic algebraic techniques and manipulations acquired in high school and used throughout mathematics
  • Linear algebra: matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, characteristic polynomials, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors
  • Abstract algebra and number theory: elementary topics from group theory; theory of rings and modules, field theory, and number theory
Additional Topics - 25%

• Introductory real analysis: sequences and series of numbers and functions, continuity, differentiability and integrability, and elementary topology of R and Rn
  • Discrete mathematics: logic, set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms
  • Other topics: general topology, geometry, complex variables, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis

There is a book by Princeton Review but it is full of errors. It wouldn't hurt to take a look through the book, but don't delve to deeply into it. Here is breakdown of questions on the Math GRE:

Calculus - 50%
Material learned in the usual sequence of elementary calculus courses - differential and......

thanks for the detailed review of the book.
in fact I just ordered a copy last week (what a coincidence), and since you seem to know this book very well, would you briefly point out maybe one or a couple examples of errors that it has? Are they of trivial and detectable nature? Otherwise, it would be quite a pain in the *** to learn the wrong stuff for a first-timer.

I don't remember the specifics but I do remember the book messed up some of the trig identities and answers involving absolute values. Most of the errors that I came across involved sign issues: + instead of - and vice versa. And something as seemingly innocuous as that, can have some rather dire results.

But I'd still recommend getting the book so you can familiarize yourself with the type of questions. If you correctly work the sample problems, you should be able spot the errors. You should be able to contact Princeton Review and ask them to send you a copy of the errata.

@Anoop

The only other book I've come across is this one. Although, I believe this one just contains practice tests - it doesn't provide much of a review. You may also want to consider the various Schaum's Guides. They have books going over various topics: calculus, analysis, linear algebra, etc. For example, here is the Schaum's Linear Algebra book.

anoopRN said:
on a side note, any suggestions for books on data structures and algorithms in c++ ? other than the one by Mark Allen Weiss...

Do you want a book on Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ or a general one? I remember using Sedwick at some point which was not bad. For general coverage, nothing beats Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman. If you really want to look into another approach, read Okasaki's "Purely Functional Data Structures".

For algorithms in general, check this out - I found it very useful. MIT lecture notes and video lectures for a number of their courses through their OpenCourseWare system. An entire series of video lectures is available for a course titled "Introduction to Algorithms."

is it true that you can only take the math subject test in october, november, and april in every year.... and that it is a paper exam?

Regarding Subject GRE

Is it necessary to take Subject GRE in Math if we want to apply for MFE program? Will General GRE not suffice?

Which universities mandate Math Subject GRE?

Is it necessary to take Subject GRE in Math if we want to apply for MFE program? Will General GRE not suffice?

Which universities mandate Math Subject GRE?

The only one I know that requires the subject test is Chicago. NYU recommends it. Like most things, a good credential is always a plus, but very few schools require the subject test.

Somebody said that GRE SUB MATH is very important if your GPA is not high enough.
Is it true?

That depends. As far as I know, most school don't require the Math GRE. If you don't have a quantitative background - physics, engineering, mathematics, etc - then it might be good idea to take the Math GRE to prove your quantitative abilities. But it will help only if you get a high score ( > 75th percentile) on the test.

If you have poor grades in math classes, then you may want to consider taking the test for the same reason as above. But then again, poor performance in math classes may be an indication of something.

If you have poor grades in math classes, then you may want to consider taking the test for the same reason as above. But then again, poor performance in math classes may be an indication of something.

Often of consistently bad teaching. Which you've indicated in your recounting your experiences at Boston University. And which Morris Kline explained in depth in "Why the Professor Can't Teach: Mathematics and the Dilemma of University Education," which came out about thirty years ago. The situation is worse now, with a hundred -- often two hundred -- students crammed into a hall, listening to a distant professor, aided by inexperienced and poorly-paid teaching assistants.

American teaching is so uneven and degree standards so variable that grad departments often insist on the GRE to make sure that some basic material has been mastered by an applicant.

Back