• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The New iPad

Nope. I'm going to buy the old one at a reduced price, instead ;)

iOS I imagine - also android based tablets are really not as good - the screen on the iPad is much more responsive than on android's, and that's an operating system thing, not hardware thing.

Pre-ordered without second thoughts!! :whistle:

I use an Android phone and it's laggy as hell, and apparently this is also true on the cutting edge quad core Android Asus Prime...

From Engadget review of Asus Prime:
That said, we were sorry to still see some occasional stutters and hiccups from time to time, instances where the device would hesitate for just a half-second or so before responding. There are three performance modes that are easily selected between in the pop-up settings menu, but even on its highest we couldn't get it to be a consistently smooth operator. They're the kind of stops and starts we've seen on just about every Android device to date and it's a bit of a shame that even four whopping cores running at 1.3GHz can't do away with them.

I currently have the ipad2 and I don't really see a reason to upgrade it.

I don't see why they decided to put out a new one (besides raking in the $$$ of course) because the differences are so minute - a decent camera (should've been on the ipad 2), a better processor (because it's a year later and that's how technology is), and a kick ass display (only important difference). Also, for those who use the cellular connection the 4g bonus is nice.

At the end of the day - if I were buying a new tablet I think I would rather pick up the Ipad 2 at the reduced price :)

Yes, that retina is what putting lot of people on the fence, I included.
I'm not sure what it will benefit daily use, looking at websites, reading news.
Games, apps aren't coded to take advantage of the higher resolution yet.

For most that's the only thing that would make a difference. But to me the screen resolution on the ipad2 is great, so unless I were to put them next to each other I don't know how much of a difference it makes. Perhaps for things like watching movies and such the difference is significant, but even there I have no complaints with the current screen.

I really do like my ipad 2 - not going to upgrade, but if I was choosing between an ipad and an android tablet I most certainly would get the ipad. I've used various other tablets at work, and despite the increase in flexibility they just don't feel the same.

I really do like my ipad 2 - not going to upgrade, but if I was choosing between an ipad and an android tablet I most certainly would get the ipad. I've used various other tablets at work, and despite the increase in flexibility they just don't feel the same.

agreed. Apple has done an amazing job with iOS in that regard - everything you do on it is perfectly fluid and responsive unlike many others (of the few I've played around with none have compared).

Ok, the new iPad for dad, the used iPad 2 for son.
Problem solved.
you guessed it. I will probably get a used iPad2 for the kids and the new iPad for me. That will be 3 ipads in the house.

The only reason I want the new iPad is the display. I want to check if it is any good for reading. I basically use the iPad as a glorified eReader.

I'm just getting the smart cover, keeping it minimal. Thought about a screen protector but then I saw stress testing videos of people trying to scratch the screen with a nail and its pretty scratch proof.

I think if one is planning to get an IPAd. It makes sense to get the latest one, and then just forget about upgrading for another 2-3 years. If you buy a previous version at a discount, next year you will be go though the same thought about should i get a new IPAD again. In addition to that, you will also get one year APPLE warranty instead of buying some one's used stuff and dealing with problems if there are any.

I think Zagg makes a good case combo (cover+keyboard) that makes it easy to type into it. They are so sort of expensive though (almost $100 ) but i think worth it.

Back