• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Undergrad Major

NickTri

Aspirant
For undergraduate is it possible to major in Mathematics with concentration in finance or computer science

I'm sure it depends on your university. Mine happens to have a Pure Mathematics/Finance option and a Computer Science/Mathematics degree. I'm sure you'll find any good CS department will have strong ties to the math department, and it shouldn't be hard to get a minor or something similar. Math and finance may be a bit harder to find at the undergrad level.

Just do some research into your colleges of choice, it should become apparent after a little bit of snooping.

Opps. Sorry didn't realize which forum this was posted in. Looks like they offer finance, so it's likely you can get a minor while pursuing a Math degree. What I said about good CS faculties stays true, but I don't know how things work at NYU.

You can always do a double-major.

I went to school at UIUC which ranks in the top five for CS and top 15-20 for Math, and we offered a Math/CS (Liberal Arts) Major. Some students also chose to double major in CS (Engineering) and Math.

CS (Engineering) at a typical research university will typically have about 80 credit hours of required courses: about 15 in Chemistry and Physics, 20-25 in Math, and around 40-45 in Comp Sci or EE.

Finance, on the other hand, has about 40-50 credit hours of required courses with about 5-10 in Math. Finance will limit your grad school options more than an an engineering discipline.

One other interesting route, IMHO, might be Applied Math and Actuarial Science. AS gives you the perfect backup plan- you can work at an insurance company for a few years if you don't get into grad school right away, and actuaries tend to have less cyclical job markets than finance majors.

yup actuarial science is a good idea but u gotta take all those exams to actually become one i was thinking about working as a programmer for the possible years b/w undergrad and grad thats why i want to major in math minor in cs

I don't think you can work as a straight programmer on a minor, not even sure what a minor in CS would look like. Maybe look at a double major. Most schools also have Interdisciplinary programs, where you can propose your own course of study, if your incoming marks are high enough. look into it. At my first University I could pick any course I wanted and bypass a lot of departmental approvals.

Back