• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Verbal 430 and Math 800 is enough for NYU and CMU MFE?

I am wondering Verbal 430 and Math 800 is enough for NYU and CMU MFE. Thanks a lot

Are you kidding me?

What's the use of a quant that can't demystify their black box to make sure the assumptions are valid?!

Don't know about NYU or CMU but it sure was enough for cornell and columbia...

Anybody can memorize the 5000 word dictionary and get full marks. It doesn't mean he/she can express himself well.

I got accepted to Berkeley, and I had a score in the fifties. Not because I'm stupid, but as a foreigner, my vocabulary simply isn't big enough to get a good score on a test like this. I speak 7 languages well enough to be able to communicate with natives in their language, but I haven't read enough english books etcetc to train my vocabulary.

Ilya: I can easily explain everythng inside a "black box", but I don't need weird words to do that. I'm not saying my english is perfect, far from actually, but it is good enough for what I do! It's also good enough to write an award winning paper that got published.

Schools don't care about verbal scores - because they don't show your mastery of the language. Chinese people have HUGE vocabularies, larger than most americans/britons, but they can't say a sentence that makes sense. Analytical writing on the other hand counts, because THAT test shows your ability to communicate your message!!!

Schools don't care about verbal scores - because they don't show your mastery of the language. Chinese people have HUGE vocabularies, larger than most americans/britons, but they can't say a sentence that makes sense. Analytical writing on the other hand counts, because THAT test shows your ability to communicate your message!!!

Good point. If they taught this kind of writing at the school and undergraduate level in the United States, people might speak and write more coherently and cogently (instead of the disorganised rambling monologues one has to endure).

800 is the perfect score, and verbal counts NOTHIIIIIIING!

Sorry, I but can't agree with this. The verbal score DOES count! Many top univresities have cut off % for both verbal and quantitative (and analytical) scores so, it is defenitely not NOTHING. Although it may be less crucial than say the analytical section...

some people said that almost 95% NYU students have more than 550 Verb scores
I was wondering if i could apply at NYU .I hav got a score of 800 in quants and 540 in verbal,but i totally screwed up my awa and got a score of 3.5 .Is it worth givin a shot at this univ or can u suggest me some other ones.

Back