• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Voting is today

A sign of things to come
DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. – Barack Obama came up a big winner in the presidential race in Dixville Notch and Hart's Location, N.H., where tradition of having the first Election Day ballots tallied lives on.
Democrat Obama defeated Republican John McCain by a count of 15 to 6 in Dixville Notch, where a loud whoop accompanied the announcement in Tuesday's first minutes. The town of Hart's Location reported 17 votes for Obama, 10 for McCain and two for write-in Ron Paul. Independent Ralph Nader was on both towns' ballots but got no votes.

This is it, folks! Get to your polling place and do your thing. Remember, if you don't vote now, you can't complain later.*

*Non-US citizens exempt.

*Non-US citizens exempt.

*Polite cough* That's most people here.

This is it, folks! Get to your polling place and do your thing. Remember, if you don't vote now, you can't complain later.*

I'm not voting and I am complaining: the two candidates' "policies" don't seem to differ (they haven't spelt much out anyway). The whole thing is rigged, a giant media spectacle.

I'm not voting and I am complaining: the two candidates' "policies" don't seem to differ (they haven't spelt much out anyway). The whole thing is rigged, a giant media spectacle.

You can be a real stick in the mud ;)

Our system may be flawed, but failing to participate in it won't improve it. Actually, I don't know what could improve it.

That moose song lost me after 2 seconds. How could a person watch that video?

So... what are you going to do about it?

Our system may be flawed, but failing to participate in it won't improve it. Actually, I don't know what could improve it.

My point exactly. And I'm not going to help legitimise the system by casting my humble vote. Give me an honest and unabashed autocracy instead of this iron-hand-in-a-velvet-glove faux-democracy. As an English politician (Ken Livingstone) had the honesty to say: "If voting could make a difference, they'd have abolishd the ballot box a long time ago."

So... what are you going to do about it?

Nothing. I'm completely impotent. Hmmm ... there may be something to those Indian philosophies of resignation and fatalism. My only weapons are ridicule and sarcasm and I employ these liberally against those in power -- futile though this activity is.

Meanwhile I'm in Europe at the moment. So thankfully I can sleep through while the charade reaches its climax. I'll keep the television off tomorrow as well -- I really don't want to know.

Nothing. I'm completely impotent. Hmmm ... there may be something to those Indian philosophies of resignation and fatalism. My only weapons are ridicule and sarcasm and I employ these liberally against those in power -- futile though this activity is.

Meanwhile I'm in Europe at the moment. So thankfully I can sleep through while the charade reaches its climax. I'll keep the television off tomorrow as well -- I really don't want to know.

That sounds really pessimistic. I can tell you that there is a lot you can do. You need to get involve in the process. It doesn't matter how bad you think it is.

So thankfully I can sleep through while the charade reaches its climax. I'll keep the television off tomorrow as well -- I really don't want to know.
This is not a charade. It is, at a bare minimum--even to the most cynical--a symbol of who we are now as US citizens, and a symbolic break with the at times shameful reality of who we have been.

There have been few days, particularly in the last decade, when I could honestly say I'm proud to be a citizen of this country. Today is one.

Left unchecked, Obama and the Democrats will turn the US into Zimbabwe with their enlightened ideas about wealth redistribution.

Obama wins!!! :dance:

That sounds really pessimistic. I can tell you that there is a lot you can do. You need to get involve in the process. It doesn't matter how bad you think it is.

You are older and wiser; you are doubtless aware of the folly of optimism.

Meanwhile, Obama has won. In the past few days his team has already been dampening down expectations:

Barack Obama lays plans to deaden expectation after election victory - Times Online

I've seen these meaningless victories before: Carter in 1976 and Clinton in 1992. Yet nothing changes. See you at the barricades, comrade.

He looks a little like Barney Fife with a tan...

11042008.jpg

Billy, calm down :)... do you plan to open the door and say... "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND"

"boys and girls, let's get ready for re-distribution of wealth" :D

Back