• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are the boundary conditions for the Forward contract PDE?

European call

When solving the PDE for the value \(V\) of a European call option under the Black-Scholes model using a finite difference scheme, we have that
  • Initial/terminal condition. \(V(S_T,T) = \text{payoff}(S_T) = \max(S_T-K,0)\) (initial since the scheme is solved backward, terminal since it holds at the final time \(T\))
  • Left end boundary condition. If \(S_0=0\) then \(S_t=0\) for all \(t\) and the option will surely be out of the money with payoff \(\max(0-K,0)=0\) and \(V(0,t)=0\) for all \(t\)
  • Right end boundary condition. If \(S_0\) is large enough (w.r.t. to \(K\)) then \(S_t>K\) for all \(t\) and the option will end up in the money with payoff \(\max(S_t-K,0)=S_t-K\) and \(V(S_t,t)=S_t-Ke^{-r(T-t)}\) for all \(t\)
Forward contract

How to deduce the boundary conditions in a similar manner when solving the PDE for the value of a forward contract whose underlying follows the Schwartz mean reverting model? What I understand until now about forwards is
  • There is no money exchanged when signing a forward contract so, using the notation below, I think that the value of the forward at time 0 is \(F(S_0,0)=0\)
  • The payoff (of the option equivalent to this forward contract) is \(S_T-K\) since the holder is obliged to buy the underlying at expiry
The Schwartz model is \(dS = \alpha(\mu-\log S)Sdt + \sigma S dW\) with \(\alpha\) speed of mean reversion. From this eq it is possible to derive the PDE for the value of the forward
\[ \tag1 \frac{\partial F}{\partial t} + \alpha\Big(\mu-\lambda -\log S\Big)S\frac{\partial F}{\partial S}+\frac12\sigma^2S^2\frac{\partial^2F}{\partial S^2} = 0, \qquad \text{with }\lambda = \sigma\frac{\mu-r}\alpha \] whose solution is, letting \(\tau=T-t\)
\[ \tag2 F(S_t,\tau) = \mathbb E[S_t] = \exp\bigg(e^{-\alpha\tau}\log S_t +\Big(\mu-\frac{\sigma^2}{2\alpha}-\lambda\Big)(1-e^{-\alpha\tau})+\frac{\sigma^2}{4\alpha}(1-e^{-2\alpha\tau})\bigg) \]
  • Initial/terminal condition. Plugging \(\tau=0\) (ie \(t=T\)) in \((2)\) we get \(F(S_T,0) = \exp(\log S_T) = S_T\). This value appears also in the original paper by Schwartz (at page 5), so it is correct.
  • Left end boundary condition. As in the European call case, if \(S_0=0\) then \(S_t=0\) for all \(t\) and from \((1)\) we get \(\dfrac{\partial F}{\partial t}=0\) ie \(F\) does not change in time, and since as said before \(F(S_0,0)=0\) (not sure though) it follows \(F(0,t)=0\) for all \(t\). But this means that the payoff of the option would be \(0-K\) that is negative, since prices cannot be negative how to deal with this fact?
  • Right end boundary condition. If \(S_0\) is large enough (w.r.t. to \(K\)) then \(S_t>K\) for all \(t\) and the payoff of the option will be \(F(S_t,t)-K\) and \(V(S_t,t)=(F(S_t,t)-K)e^{-r(T-t)}\) for all \(t\), but what can we say about the value of \(F(S_t,t)\)?
At the end of the finite difference scheme, to obtain the value of the option at time 0 we compute \(V(S_0,0) = (F(S_0,0)-K)e^{-rT}\) which in general is not 0, in contrast with what I said above about \(F\) being 0 at time 0. What is wrong in the reasoning?

Code

What follows is the Matlab code that computes the exact value of the option at time 0 (V_exact in the code) and the value approximated by the Euler explicit finite difference scheme (V_euler). The initial/terminal condition is applied at line 26 (F = ST), the next two lines are for the left end condition (F(1) = 0) and the right end condition (I don't know what to put here).

Moreover, I'm not sure that V_exact is computed correctly, should be \((F-K)\exp(-rT)\) or \(F-K\exp(-rT)\)?

Attachments

• boundary_cond.zip
    902 bytes · Views: 22
This is the plot with spot prices at time T (vector ST in the code) on x-axis and option prices at time 0 ((F-K)*exp(-r*T) in the code) on y-axis. As you can see the there is a problem when the option price approaches the biggest value of the spot price, since the curve goes from linear to exponential, I guess this is due to the fact that the right end condition is missing

5kwYJ.png

Just me! :)
Anyways, how is it working out?
I confirm you that when using the exact solution at Smax as BC then the plot is correct, ie it is a straight line.
I'm now trying to implement the BC \(F_{SS}=0\), I see that you are talking about the tridiagonal matrix, but since I'm using Euler explicit i did not use the matrix form but I just do
Code:
for N = 1:n
    F(2:end-1) = a.*F(1:end-2) ...
               + b.*F(2:end-1) ...
               + c.*F(3:end);
end
that is F is a vector, and for example F(1:end-2) is the vector F without the last 2 elements.
Is it possible to implement that BC also in this case? Thank you very much for support

Taking the exact solution as "fallback" is a good test to see is the full assembled scheme is OK.
I don't use \(F_{SS}=0\) myself (I use domain transformation or price a put) but I reckon it should work. In general, the matrix will no longer be tridiagonal.

A possibly good option is Neumann BC at boundary: \(F_{S}=1\) since F is essentially S -K there.

Here's a scheme that uses Neumann BC, might be worth investigating (N.B. they assume convection = 0).

Last edited:
I agree with Daniel : true boundary conditions are good, but just for testing purposes, because you will end having a payoff-dependent pricer.
F_SS = 0 is better, but you will loose some nice properties doing so.
If you are working with schwartz model, try F_S= 0 (Neumann), it might work.

Back