• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are your computer's specs ?

Any forum that geeks frequent is incomplete unless they have one of these threads. And Quantnet is no different so I thought it would be fun to see what kind of computers our members are using. Post your computer specs, pictures of your desktops, laptops, etc. If you have setup a trading system, it would be nice to see them ;)

I'll go first.

1) Desktop : I built this 2 years ago from scratch. All the parts are from newegg.com. This is a 2.8 Ghz, 1GB ram, XP Pro SP2. 4 HDs on them with about 800GB of data. The monitor is a Dell widescreen 20" LCD. I need to get another screen to setup dual monitor for spreadsheet work.
2) Laptop : my primary computer. This is my third Thinkpad after T23, T42. The current model is T60 2623D6U with 1.5GB ram, 1400x1050 res, DVD burner. XP SP2 on the main HD (100GB) and Ubuntu on the second HD (70GB)

What's yours ?

Ah, Andy. I think we all know what I use :)

My main computer is my black MacBook with the standard specs. I do have Windows installed with Parallels, but never use it. If I want to use Windows for something, I Remote Desktop to my work computer. I use gcc for compiling my code. (All the developer tools came with the computer). I prefer UNIX to DOS.

I also have a desktop Mac G4 from 2003 still running strong. I use it mainly for photo/video stuff.

BTW, I have no virus protection, never had a virus on any of these machines.

I also recently set up a wireless N network with a network printer. I also have an Airport XPress so I can wirelessly stream music from either computer to my living room stereo system. And, when I get Leopard (OSX 10.5) I will be able to have Time Machine automatically and instantaneously backup my work on a network drive hooked up to my Apple wireless N hub (Time Machine is basically automatic version control). I also have a cable modem.

A screenshot of my desk. On the left is a Dell 22" LCD , on the right is a Dell 20" LCD, both widescreen. And my trusty T60 Thinkpad of course.
To complete the setup is a pair of Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard.

picture702largenn7.jpg

I wonder why do you need 2 monitors :)

I have a 15.4" Dell Notebook that is doing great so far, the only upgrade I have made 1Gb RAM => 2Gb RA.

I wonder why do you need 2 monitors :)

I have a 15.4" Dell Notebook that is doing great so far, the only upgrade I have made 1Gb RAM => 2Gb RA.

If you have never worked with 2+ monitors, you don't know what you are missing. I only have 1 monitor at home and I'm always struggling... at work I have 4 monitors and it is the best thing.

At work, you might need lots of "monitor space", but at home? :) in that case you need a big room as well.

i don't know exactly all my computer's specs so here goes:

- pretty sure it is 2ghz
- 2gigabites of ram
- 2 local hard drives, 250gigabites and 75 gigabites
- 2 dell 24" lcd monitors

my laptop is just s generic dell whatever it is that broke and they gave me a new one...nothing to write home about. my computer above though was built from scratch.

i'm a former pro poker player though so i needed a great computer. cost about $2.5k to build and well worth it.

Barron

Check out my gig which I built specially for my Blu-ray viewing back in August. I since then got half a dozen more of Samsung 500GB HD to store my movies.

Andy, I know that the "law of cost for the marginal gigabyte" tells you to stick with 500GB harddrives, but before you run out of hard drive slots on your machine I would recommend switching to these 1-TB babies:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Fast and furious... and costly too :(
By the way, how much disk space does one Blue-ray movie eat up?

Vladimir,
I stopped buying those 500GB once I realized it's futile exercise to stock up on it. There is no way I can store all my movies on HD. And I just don't have time to catch up on all of my blu-ray movies I have.

I will save to buy when an affordable Blu-ray burner comes out.

Blu-ray comes in 2 sizes, single layer is 25GB max and double layer is 50GB max. Movies like Pirates of the Carribeans are 45GB+

The pictures and sounds are just mind blowing. Try it !

I was not aware that 768MB videocards exist :) I'm comfortable with my old 256MB.
I can't recall all of my PC specs since I'm not home.
I have something like 3.2GHz Intel Pentium (4 or D), 1Gb of RAM, 256MB videocard, 250+80Gb HD.

If you have never worked with 2+ monitors, you don't know what you are missing. I only have 1 monitor at home and I'm always struggling... at work I have 4 monitors and it is the best thing.
We mostly have 4 or 3 monitors setup at work. I've seen 6-8 monitor setups as well where they stack it in 2 rows vertically. Looks just like a traffic monitoring center

At work, you might need lots of "monitor space", but at home? :) in that case you need a big room as well.
If you only work with one monitor, then you get used to it. If you ever worked with 2 or more monitors, you will see that productivity increases a lot.

There is many research articles on this but the one from NYT is pretty good
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/technology/20basics.html

I was not aware that 768MB videocards exist :) I'm comfortable with my old 256MB.
I can't recall all of my PC specs since I'm not home.
I have something like 3.2GHz Intel Pentium (4 or D), 1Gb of RAM, 256MB videocard, 250+80Gb HD.

If you play games, those extra MBs in the videocard are golden ;)

If you play games, those extra MBs in the videocard are golden ;)

I think playing games "professionally" on a PC is not a good thing, if someone wants to play games with cool graphics they should buy PS2/3 or XBOX :).

I sometimes (like once a week) play my FIFA games, recently switched to NBA, and my videocard is OK for those games.

I think playing games "professionally" on a PC is not a good thing, if someone wants to play games with cool graphics they should buy PS2/3 or XBOX :).

I sometimes (like once a week) play my FIFA games, recently switched to NBA, and my videocard is OK for those games.

I haven't touched my XBOX in years :cry:

Back