• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are your computer's specs ?

I'd love to see pics of that gig. Or benchmarks ;)

I will post it today when I get home. I can provide the 3DMark benchmarks I believe I have 06 or maybe 07 installed. I'm running 64bit vista by the way so its not as speedy as XP but still pretty impressive.

over 2K. Just click on all the newegg links and add up the prices.
The most expensive item on it is the video card. He better uses it as a gaming gig.

Videocard alone costs more than PlayStation :)

Andy, what benchmark software do you use? I want to see how my 1-year old Dell notebook compares to others.

3DMarks is what people use to benchmark. There are plenty other as well.
Forget about benchmark your Dell. Do a search on that model and read the reviews.
Nobody benchmarks a one year old stock computer, much less a Dell.

I searched for 3DMark and found a program called 3DMark03, it is used for graphics benchmarking for gamers :) Well, anyway, it crashes when benchmarking my Dell :) Some planes are flying and the program closes at the end asking to send the data to Microsoft :D At least, my Dell allows me to play NBA LIVE 07 and do my homework.

White MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
80GB
OSX 10.5
And a bunch of cool stuff on it ;)

If you have never worked with 2+ monitors, you don't know what you are missing. I only have 1 monitor at home and I'm always struggling... at work I have 4 monitors and it is the best thing.
It's hard to go from this back to 1 monitor

img00027xx1.jpg

My laptop has the following:
Dell Inspiron 1.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2X512 MB DDR2 SDRAM
60GB 5400 rpm SATA harddisk
2 MB L2
Ubuntu 7.10(Gutsy Gibbon)

My lab desktop is rather outdated, and seldom used:
2.8 Ghz Single Core
2X256 MB RAM
140GB harddisk
Windows XP

(Aside: For people who use VIM as their primary text editor might consider using Vimperator
, its an awesome add-on for firefox allowing you to browse the web using the keyboard)

My computer is my notebook as well. I don't carry pads to class anymore.

IBM Thinkpad X61 Tablet
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB memory
1 GB Turbo Memory on the docking station
120 GB HD
etc, etc...

I like it a lot!!! :)

Turbo memory

1 GB Turbo Memory on the docking station
"Turbo memory", that term was new till 10 minutes back. Now, after reading for a while I guess have started liking the concept. For all those like me who did not know anything about "turbo memory", a nice article would be http://www.macworld.com/article/47488/2005/10/robson.html.
Alain please confirm whether the performance boost is as mentioned here.

core 2 extreme
4 gb ram (middle of the road latency)
500 gb hd 7500 with 250 gb back up
nvidia geforce 6800 video cards
dual 24" widescreen monitors
suitcase size backup power/internet manager
sits on an 8' long desk

...my home away from home, that's inside my home

Anyone has multiple OS on their main desktop ?

I did use a dual boot: switching between Ubuntu and Windows.
Not any longer since I can simply remote desktop into the lab computer, and as it is, I spent 90% of my time on Ubuntu.

Desktop:

CPU: Intel(R) CoreT i7-860 2.80 GHz 8M L2 Cache LGA1156
HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [-31] (1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P7P55D Pro Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, U
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
MONITOR: Dell 20 INCH 1600x900 (BestBuy.com)

Got it from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com, you can fully customize the computer, which is great. They always offer 5% discount coupons and no taxes for those who live outside CA.

Notebook: HP Mii 311- 1037NR (got it through Verizon).

what are the best components for a linux / ubuntu machine ?
motherboard ? CPU ? etc ... is Ubuntu the best option ?
is multiple core by any means a good choice for linux ?
need to build my home made HFT machine

thinkpad t410. i5 2.53ghz. 8gb corsair ram. 64 bit win 7. use a 21" dell monitor for a dual monitor.

my corner in the grad office at my dept.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Back