• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What books are you currently reading?

Ok, I don't want to get in a fight over this. I'm just bothered every time this happens on an internet forum.
That's why it's never worth getting over a fight with "internet people" and almost all forum software has an Ignore feature builtin.

I don't need anyone to approve of what I read. And I'm 3 chapters into The Accidental Billionaires

Ok, I don't want to get in a fight over this. I'm just bothered every time this happens on an internet forum.

My comments was meant to be a joke. People react strongly to Rand: they're either fervent supporters of her ideas or vociferously against her.

i love rand's stories for what they are: thinly veiled political pieces with a relatively decent story wrapped around them. the characters are all basically two-dimensional. sure, she's not the best writer, but i still enjoyed the books. read the fountainhead first and enjoyed it more than atlas shrugged, anthem and we the living.

anyways, back on topic...
lost in shangrila - new wwii history of a group of us personnel who crashed in the middle of new guinea and had to hike out
siddhartha
code complete 2 (when i feel like being a nerd)

just finished the art of racing in the rain which was great. well worth it for any dog people out there.

siddhartha

The film isn't half bad either. But among the books of Hesse my favorite -- indeed the favorite of many mathematicians -- is "The Glass Bead Game," which won him the Nobel Prize back in '46 (I think). The term "glass bead game" has even percolated down to semi-popular discourse, with one writer calling Hegel's ideas "a vast glass bead game" and Hellegouarch, in his book on Fermat's Last Theorem, referring to the complex of ideas which Wiles and other introduced as a "glass bead game."

"Narcissus and Goldmund" is another enchanting book. Hesse was much influenced by the ideas of Jung.

thanks. will have to check those out. i did love the fermat's enigma book or whatever it was called.

thanks. will have to check those out. i did love the fermat's enigma book or whatever it was called.

The one by Simon Singh? The one by Hellegouarch ("Invitation to the Mathematics of Fermat-Wiles") is technical and doesn't pull its punches.

yes, it would have been singh. read it a number of years ago, if i recall.

I recently ordered this on my Kindle on the recommendation of a friend. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Good. Gonna order it soon after finishing the current books I'm reading.

"Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline and a Winning Attitude" by Mark Douglas ... great read with very applied focus by a respected non-quant real world trader, but probably represents the other side of the coin relative to quantitative finance. However, it does take knowledge of both sides of the coin to know the odds!

Thanks. Glad to hear positive suggestions about this book. I'm more confident in ordering it.

I picked it up in Grand Central Station when I was waiting for the train back to CT. You can probably get it a lot cheaper off Amazon and probably in paperback now as well!

Has anyone read any of Daniel Kahneman's books? And do you have one you'd recommend as an introduction to his work?

Hi.

I have visited quantnet a lot this month mostly to see any recomandations for "best books to read to vanish the gaps". Now I have a quant job and a boss who visits my country (Albania) two weeks per year.
This discussion belongs to the small set of discussions where I can post. So this is my first post.

I get bored reading one book so I read some simultaneously. The starting day of some books that are not finnished was some years ago, but they are in progress. I don't think I read much, maybe 3 hours a week. Sparsely my books are novels. Here is the list of the books "currently" reading:
God, the bible
Darwin, natural selection
Kissinger, the diplomacy
Eco, the search for the perfect language
Defoe, robinson crusoe
Goethe, poems
Derman, my life as a quant
Lowenstein, when genius fail

thank you
it was a pleasure writing this post
tomi

P.S. If I study "Rebonato, volatility and correlation" and "Gatheral, the volatility surface" wiil I be still a newbie?

Back