• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What features would you like to see on Quantnet ?

1) I can get a mobile skin for QN that users connect via the phone will be automatically shown the simplified version. There is even a iPhone version of QN
2) Something we are working on. I know a few professors who can really use it ;)
3) there is no 3
4) Already standard feature. Click on any thread you want to print, Thread Tools -> Show Printable Version
5) The next version of QN will look very different. It's not by choice but by necessity
6) Something we can ponder on
7) You are one of the last 326 IRC users
8) Can be done in a similar way to personal bookmark

Again, any suggestion is welcome and considered.

Ultimately, we are open to the financial engineering community at large. We will make a name for ourself and Baruch Financial Engineering program will benefit.

I really applaud the hard work you guys have put into creating and maintaining this website. This is a great resource for Financial Engineering students yet sometimes I get this uneasy feeling that one of the main agendas of those who run this site is to basically be a marketing tool for Baruch's FE program. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm sure its a good program but some of the questions, polls, answers and comments I see here seem like advertisements for Baruch.

I understand that the more visibility Baruch gets the more your degrees are worth in the marketplace, but to truly be a resource for the Financial Engineering community at large there needs to be more School neutrality. I apologize if this offends the many members of this community who are Baruch students.

jovee,

You are probably right about a little (or a lot :) ) Baruch bias. However, you can choose to ignore whatever you feel is marketing.

I think the original intension of the site was to create a community for the Baruch MFE students. Somehow it evolved into a site for Fin Eng at large. However, keep in mind that QN probably is not going to change.

Jovee,

All Baruch MFE students are required to use QuantNet in their coursework. Therefore, most of the active members on this forum are current Baruch students, professors and alumni. It comes as no surprised that they are "biased" towards Baruch, because they have chosen this school afterall. This is the main cause of what you've observed.

jovee made a good point.
In addition to what alain and maxrum have said, it actually makes more sense to understand how QN has evolved the past few years.
Unknown to most people, QN has been in existence since 2003 as a private, closed community for the Baruch MFE program. Only since mid 2006, has it been open to the public as a way to provide information to prospective students of the program.

Incidentally, the quote that jovee used was from my post back in 2006 when we pondered the direction of Quantnet. Then, majority of our members was affiliated with Baruch MFE program. Now, three years later, among the 6000+ and growing members, only about 100 or so are. That said, these 100 are the long time posters that contribute the most to the growth of QN. Their accumulative knowledge of Baruch MFE program is what jovee sensed in his comment.

To say the sole purpose of QN is to market the program is misleading and undermining our community effort to make QN useful to the financial engineering community at large.
We have make every effort for other programs to avail their information to the public.

Case in point: Main Page - Quantnet Wiki
We have invited every program in the NYC area to contribute to that wiki. Anyone with a QN account can edit entries and make as much info available as they like. It is their right not to take advantage of that.

We are more than welcome to people with first hand experience of other programs to come and contribute here on Quantnet.

Case in point: member financeguy has come and gave good press for his Columbia MSOR program. It's one the examples I can give you to show that making Quantnet a Baruch centric is never our goal. If that's the case, we wouldn't have made this site public.

To make this more school neutral, it would require people from all path of life come and contribute. That is easier said than done and we have done our part to make it as easy as possible. QN has been out there for a while so it's not to say other programs are not aware of our existence. It may take a while but I have no doubt that eventually we will fulfill our goal of making QN the place.

Now that I have my piece, I'd like to hear what features you like to have on QN.

Thanks to Andy, Alain and Maxrun for clearing this up.

I really do love this forum and have learned much from it. The bias I alluded to can be a turn-off for those in the general Financial Engineering community who were not aware of the history of quantnet that Andy and Maxrun just provided. I apologize for the disruption to the subject of this thread.

1. We need a mobile version of quantnet that makes navigation easier for cellphones. A mobile version of quantnet would be very convenient.
Can we have the util bar not show up on phone browsers please.
And perhaps a lightweight version of QN for phone browsers.
All done.
Can someone with an iPhone or Blackberry, or any mobile phone give me an impression of the skin. Post something from it for proof as well ;)

All done.
Can someone with an iPhone or Blackberry, or any mobile phone can give me an impression of the skin. Post something from it for proof as well ;)

I like the skin, but I miss the 'Latest Posts' box. Also, in tems of speed, I don't notice much of a difference but then again, that could just be the 3g acting up.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Is it possible to add a link to the mobile version to view the 'full version?'

All done.
Can someone with an iPhone or Blackberry, or any mobile phone give me an impression of the skin. Post something from it for proof as well ;)

I have neither an iphone nor a blackberry, and my desktop computer simply cannot be accused of being "mobile", but all I see is the mobile skin.

On the other hand, I won't visit the forums if this skin stays this way, so this could be a big productivity booster.

Is it possible to add a link to the mobile version to view the 'full version?'
You should be able able to toggle between PC or Mobile style from the style chooser at the footer of the page. The auto mobile detection is off now so you will have to choose the Mobile version from your phone if you like to use that.

You should be able able to toggle between PC or Mobile style from the style chooser at the footer of the page. The auto mobile detection is off now so you will have to choose the Mobile version from your phone if you like to use that.

Can the toggle be moved near the header of the page? When viewing the pages with the iPhone, it require an awful lot of scrolling to actually get to the toggle. Unfortunately, there is no 'end' or 'page down' functionality with the mobile version of Safari.

I have neither an iphone nor a blackberry, and my desktop computer simply cannot be accused of being "mobile", but all I see is the mobile skin.

I haven't tried today but as of late night yesterday, QN thought Safari was a mobile browser.

[offtopic] <offtopic>I installed Safari 4 in Windows, go try it. You'll be surprised!!!</offtopic>

Back