• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What features would you like to see on Quantnet ?

I might be missing something, but I keep getting emails every time someone responds to a thread that I've posted in, even though I've gone to settings and turned off "Preferences > Receive email notications of replies" and "Alert Preferences > Messages in Threads" (all options).
I like to see the alerts in the red at the top menu to show me who has replied to stuff, but all the emails are driving me nuts, so I'm obviously missing some setting... anyone help please?
Go to http://www.quantnet.com/forum/account/preferences and uncheck "and receive email notifications of replies". Then go to http://www.quantnet.com/forum/watched/threads/all, check off all them, then select Disable email notification at the menu at the bottom.

That actually was a hot topic among forum owners. I would have no question if people Like/Agree with my posts but if someone Dislike/Disagree, I would always want to know why. So the way we set it up, people would have to quote your post and argue why they disagree with it. It works well for the discussion-based community like this.
There is a reason you don't see a Dislike button on Facebook.

I am not sure if this was mentioned but a "disagree" or "dislike" button would compliment the "like" button

I have seen "huge wars" on programming forums when downvoting people. One of such dislike clicks is enough and the thread is hijacked.

i would like to see a 'roommate feature added for each program, to make the search for roommates easier once you join an mfe program. that way, you can ensure that you are staying with a financial engineer, as opposed to say, with a 60 yr old woman as is in my case.

i would like to see a 'roommate feature added for each program, to make the search for roommates easier once you join an mfe program. that way, you can ensure that you are staying with a financial engineer, as opposed to say, with a 60 yr old woman as is in my case.

I was also thinking of such feature if it existed on any forum. It'd be great if we had one.

P.S. Make sure she is not registered on QN. ;)

not sure if this is a bug but the "Latest Discussion" section on the homepage does not reflect most recent posts on the forum

New York base marketplace? Just an extra section for people to possibly sell books and so on. Maybe furniture and what not between NYC area students.

New York base marketplace? Just an extra section for people to possibly sell books and so on. Maybe furniture and what not between NYC area students.

No offense intended.

I believed that Quantnet talked about Finance/quant related stuff. I believe we are moving away from that ideology as I see more posts directed towards specific person/group of people, selling stuff, finding roommates, threads filled with people debating not very appreciative way (in fact very hard to classify those posts in "debate" category). I agree that these threads/features are informative and helpful but in that case we might even change the name from "QuantNet" to something else.

This was one of the reason for my request of having a "disagree" button. It helps disagreeing with some suggestion/argument without having to worry about making someone else feel offended.

No offense intended.

I believed that Quantnet talked about Finance/quant related stuff. I believe we are moving away from that ideology as I see more posts directed towards specific person/group of people, selling stuff, finding roommates, threads filled with people debating not very appreciative way (in fact very hard to classify those posts in "debate" category). I agree that these threads/features are informative and helpful but in that case we might even change the name from "QuantNet" to something else.

This was one of the reason for my request of having a "disagree" button. It helps disagreeing with some suggestion/argument without having to worry about making someone else feel offended.

So don't you like tracker? It is similar to what Joy suggested. Tracker activities do not intervene into forum. What Joy said might be the same thing apart from forum. Somewhere else on another tab.

Having that said. Consider what'd happen if you and 10 more had clicked the "disagree" button and me and 10 more had clicked "like". Then the downsides you provided above would come true.

I don't expect to offer any marketplace anytime soon. Given the very low volume of these type of posts, they are being handled just fine via private message/email.
And like @Aditya Chitral said, Quantnet is built to facilitate the exchange of info on quant education/jobs. The Tracker is built to complement the former and upcoming Job feature will complement the later.

I'd like to see threads (with a sticky) where members can regroup by cities : Montreal Quants....New York City Quants etc etc..

Back