• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What it's Like to Hire Interns for IBM

The approach they take definitely makes sense.

It's interesting that banks usually don't do the same, they chat to candidates, some like GS chat with them a lot.

There are few jewels in there
  • Most students didn’t know much about programming in the real world. In particular, they didn’t seem to be very up-to-date, most having never heard of things like SVN, GIT, MVC, ORM, Agile programming, or NoSQL.
  • In general, the qualifications listed on the resumes we saw were greatly exaggerated by mediocre candidates, and somewhat downplayed by the great ones. (It looked like some form of Dunning–Kruger effect was at work.)
  • Some candidates, taking advantage of the long distance telephone interview, tried to Google their answers and I could literally hear them typing as I presented them with questions that they weren’t familiar with. Replies such as, “Hmmm…well…”, followed by a 20 second pause and then the all but cut and paste Wikipedia definition. This was very easy to spot and didn’t end up boding well for those candidates who opted for this less than honest route.

I wonder why they put in so much time and effort into recruiting a couple of interns. I have seen GS make 40 full-time offers to the BBA students at UT-Austin in one day. They rely on GPA more than anything else. The MBA recruitment takes more time, but then the stakes are a lot higher in MBA recruitment.

I wonder why they put in so much time and effort into recruiting a couple of interns. I have seen GS make 40 full-time offers to the BBA students at UT-Austin in one day. They rely on GPA more than anything else. The MBA recruitment takes more time, but then the stakes are a lot higher in MBA recruitment.
this is for a particular group within IBM (DB2 development). obviously they have to show some results at the end of in internship. the BBA guys GS hired may be doing some clerical jobs.

Back