• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Whats the average age?

In defence of Cobol..

For the record, moi was a certified JSP Cobol programmer. These days major/critical application run Cobol with Java GUI plumbing. It would be unfair to knock Cobol without knowing where it is used. Cobol is not a 'quiche language'.

The Cobol programmers I know are always complaining about the flaky/buggy code that they get from the Java team.

Now, if you mention PL/I I might agree that that is a language that is not a household name.

Last edited:
I'm almost 25 right now and one more year to finish my MS in FE. A lot of my Chinese classmates are mostly younger than I am.

Regardless of whether this degree will lead me to awesome job or not, I'm just glad that I finally found something that I would be glad to study about.

The truth is computer hardware is just going to get faster and faster. Software efficiency is no longer the goal in such a computing environment but developer productivity and program correctness. The only advantage of using c++ is that it is close to the hardware, real-time and efficient.

"The truth is computer hardware is just going to get faster and faster. Software efficiency is no longer the goal in such a computing environment but developer productivity and program correctness. The only advantage of using c++ is that it is close to the hardware, real-time and efficient."

The above statement is "not even wrong" as they say in mathematics.:)

People said exactly the same in the 70s about the language not being important.

Do you have quantitative numbers to back this up? I reckon C# is ~ 4 times more productive than C++ but AFAIK no computer games or PDE pricing libraries are made in Java nor C#.

Program correctness (or lack thereof) is a function of the tradesman using it, and less so the language ;)

Last edited:
In general, the language is not the issue indeed. First understand the problem, talk to your client, and choose the most appropriate environment for the client.

TIOBE index August 2013 (C++ is #3 so what can we conclude?)

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

There's a lot of personal preferences and prejudices in software and not enough engineering IMO.

Last edited:
Back