• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2011 Gadgets Wishlist

I'd like a 3D printer. I'm tempted to download DAVID (the 3d scanning software) and install it on my toughbook. But I'd a 3D printer to replicate the scanned images. There seems to be a lot of open source solutions out there, however something like a Dimension desktop 3d printer would be cool.
Unfortunately I don't think my wife would be to happy if I spent $10K + on one ;).
So I'll settle for a new Android phone.

Why non-apple? I'd take an iPad, although the newer version please.

Has anyone tried reading / using an e-book (Kindle, iPad etc) for quant material?

Just wanted to know if ebooks are appropriate for using with textbooks.

HTC Incredible.

It's long since been time to move to a touchscreen phone.

Has anyone tried reading / using an e-book (Kindle, iPad etc) for quant material?

Just wanted to know if ebooks are appropriate for using with textbooks.
The $139 Kindle I looked at on Amazon, and the reviews of people who has used it to read quant finance paper. Here is a pic of how it looks

12.jpg

On my wishlist for 2011 would be for any member of Quantnet who has a choice of browser at home/work: STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER.
Get on with Firefox or Chrome. It will make my life a whole lot easier.

Really? Why?
I use Mozilla though 8)

the standard browser at my employer is IE6 and I don't see the transition to newer and better things anytime soon. I don't use it but that's the standard.

I've read textbooks in the kindle. I'm not a fan.

Kindle is too small and Kindle DX is too big, and they cannot keep notes.

The $139 Kindle I looked at on Amazon, and the reviews of people who has used it to read quant finance paper. Here is a pic of how it looks

12.jpg

Kindle is too small and Kindle DX is too big, and they cannot keep notes. From a survey result, 8" eBook is a good balance. I would also like to have an eBook reader which can use a pen to keep notes on the screen. Obviously Kindles can't do that.

Back