• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2011 Gadgets Wishlist

I'm not sure if I'll pick up a tablet this year or not. They certainly look fun to play with, but I want something that I can use for real things, not just to mess around with. Asus Transformer looks promising if it really is cheap like $400.

Also wish my phone (Samsung Fascinate) would get Android 2.3. Lots of neat features I feel like I'm missing out on.

my buddy's got one. everything he cooks goes on the foreman grill. EVERYTHING.

Lol I will get one when I move in the summer. Guaranteed. I am cooking a filet mignon right now and could definitely use a foreman.

I'm waiting. I do want a light laptop with a good screen resolution. There is a Samsung with better performance specs but more expensive (this is not a big factor for me) but smaller resolution. That's the dealbreaker.

If you have any idea, how much time do I have to wait?
I am sorry alain cant help you with that...

On my list for this year are the HP TouchPad, the Pre 3, Amazon Kindle and the HP Envy 14 (although I'm waiting for a new version).

I'm not sure if I'll pick up a tablet this year or not. They certainly look fun to play with, but I want something that I can use for real things, not just to mess around with. Asus Transformer looks promising if it really is cheap like $400.

Also wish my phone (Samsung Fascinate) would get Android 2.3. Lots of neat features I feel like I'm missing out on.
Ditto on the tablet front. Can't seem to justify having laptop AND table. What do I do on tablet that I can't presently do on laptop. And I work more than entertain so tablet will get little use from me.
As for the Android, you can root it and get any kind of custom ROM on your phone. There is no need to wait official update from your carrier. Disclaimer applies here.

I got a used iPad. The main reason I bought it was to read books in electronic format (the kindle is really bad at displaying math symbols). I can say the iPad is really good at it. I was very sceptical but it does its job flawlessly. An added bonus, my son (3 and a half) loves the iPad. he can play his letters and numbers games. I was really impressed on how fast kids learn to use this thing.

Ditto on the tablet front. Can't seem to justify having laptop AND table. What do I do on tablet that I can't presently do on laptop. And I work more than entertain so tablet will get little use from me.
As for the Android, you can root it and get any kind of custom ROM on your phone. There is no need to wait official update from your carrier. Disclaimer applies here.
I do have a custom ROM on my phone. The developers just haven't been able to get a fully functional 2.3 ROM yet.

That's one reason I'm considering getting an Android tablet. I'll be able to root and customize it to my liking, it will always get the latest version of Android, and I'll get all the goodies. Then I won't have to worry about my phone as much. I'd still like to have a more functional tablet though, so I'm probably going to wait another year.

One of the reason that I even mention iPad/tablet is that I need to get my hand on as many devices as possible for the design work I'm doing on Quantnet. More people are using mobile device to view Quantnet so I want to make sure the design looks and works perfectly on those devices. And it's one of the main reasons I'm getting an Android to replace my Blackberry.

My problem is that I want a good Windows tablet, but such a thing does not exist.

I simply do not know why MS is making such a mess of this market, it is really not that hard to put a good gesture based interface on top of Windows. My call is 20 programmers for 6 months, having read that part of the source code some years ago. Testing will be a bitch and require 40-50 man years, but we're talking <$20MM, which is pathetic when you see the size of the market.

Windows actually has the hooks built in, although the documentation doesn't mention them.

One of the reason that I even mention iPad/tablet is that I need to get my hand on as many devices as possible for the design work I'm doing on Quantnet. More people are using mobile device to view Quantnet so I want to make sure the design looks and works perfectly on those devices. And it's one of the main reasons I'm getting an Android to replace my Blackberry.

Wud u like to consider Asus EEE Transformer pad ?? I tried Samsung Galaxy, Moto Xoom and iPad. well.. they Suks compared to Transformer !!

Back