• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2013-2014 QuantNet Ranking of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

QuantNet

Staff member
NEW YORK, September 24th, 2013 – QuantNet today released its 3rd bi-annual rankings, selecting the Best 25 Master Programs in Financial Engineering, Mathematical Finance, Quantitative Finance in North America.

QuantNet surveyed programs administrators, hiring managers, corporate recruiters, and finance professionals to get the information used in the 2013-14 rankings.

QN-Badge-2x.png

2013-2014 Quantnet Ranking of MFE programs

Boom!! It's been 2 years already since the last one.. dammn. Time flies by.

It's wonderful that GaTech's QCF has made it to top 10. I rarely came across forums where it is discussed. I got curious a few months ago and spoke to a couple of current students and they did give positive information about the program. @Andy Nguyen, I guess they deserve their tag now.

Would somebody be able to tell me about this new Stanford program they are formulating?

Not sure why University of Waterloo MQF is not on the list. IMHO..Waterloo is far far better than those 60K-70K tution program on the list. Anyhow, I hope the list will increase in stature as time progresses.

Not sure why University of Waterloo MQF is not on the list. IMHO..Waterloo is far far better than those 60K-70K tution program on the list. Anyhow, I hope the list will increase in stature as time progresses.
waterloo's 2012 employment record is kinda weak...

There is a cluster of in scores for Toronto, BU, Chicago and Rutgers. Kind of surprised Chicago is going lower and lower. Also surprised about GaTech. Didn't expect those guys to make it to top 10 all of a sudden.

waterloo's 2012 employment record is kinda weak...
Its hard for me to digest the fact that programs ranked from 16 to 25 could do better than Waterloo in terms of Employment after graduation, how well the courses are taught, How much computationally intensive the program is. Granted that the calibre of students @Waterloo is much higher.

One small suggestion to the methodology .
for starting salary part, I suggest to use the salary adjusted by living expense index rather than absolute salary.
we know $100k in New York city is certainly different from earning of $100k in Houston .

If this factor should be in, then "opportunity gain due to geographical location" also should be in. we know opportunity in New York City is far better than one in Houston. (In terms of not only quantity, but also diversity)

Long story short, it's difficult to implement relative measure in the model. There are too many things to consider, which will make model too complex.

Last edited:
Back