• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2019 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Important to keep in mind that experience is a major factor in salary level. MIT MFIN is targeted specifically as an "early career" program; Fordham (anecdotally- I have no evidence), has more experiecned graduates. It might be useful to normalize salary w/ years experience, but that might be too nerdy even for us. @Andy Nguyen - would it be useful to break out "early career programs" as a variable?
It will be interesting to see average age or age range of each program. I am sure many working professionals (including myself) are interested in this growing field but hesitated to relaunch or do not how to approach this subject.

____
From Peter Carr: I'm not seeing a question mark in my post but if there is one, it wasnt intended. Thanks for pointing out that our website placement stats were not updated. Your post was indeed the reason we updated the stats yesterday. NYU Tandon students currently have access to all of NYU services. If you know of a service that they do not have access to, please let me know and I'll get it fixed. You are correct
that NYU Courant is in Manhattan not Brooklyn, but I don't think its right to pick on them for that.

Nice try to change the subject Peter- but you know exactly what I meant …
NYU Tandon is in Brooklyn and you cannot compare it with NYU Math Finance which is located in Manhattan, also they have a smaller number of students and the staff/instructors spend a lot more time with them…

I can compare with any school I choose to. Having spent 12 years as director or executive director of NYU Courant's math finance program, I feel especially qualified to compare with them. Courant has both a smaller number of students and a correspondingly smaller number of staff and instructors. Both programs are excellent. What are your qualifications for judging the two programs in their current state?

I can compare with any school I choose to. Having spent 12 years as director or executive director of NYU Courant's math finance program, I feel especially qualified to compare with them. Courant has both a smaller number of students and a correspondingly smaller number of staff and instructors. Both programs are excellent. What are your qualifications for judging the two programs in their current state?

NYU Math Finance is also ranked on the 6th place. Congratulations to them!

I guess everybody is free to have an opinion, or that is not true?

Last edited:
NYU Math Finance is actually in a 3 way tie for 4th on the last Quantnet rankings.
You previously said NYU Tandon FE was 10th, when in fact it is tied for 9th. You are free to give your opinion, but it would be more valued
if you could express simple facts accurately.

NYU Math Finance is actually in a 3 way tie for 4th on the last Quantnet rankings.
You previously said NYU Tandon FE was 10th, when in fact it is tied for 9th. You are free to give your opinion, but it would be more valued
if you could express simple facts accurately.

:);););)
Since I have your attention, and I thank you for that.
Could you tell us how is to register for classes? What is the process, how stressful is for students? Are they all able to take the classes they want to take?

Could you tell us how is to register for classes? What is the process, how stressful is for students? Are they all able to take the classes they want to take?
I think you could create a thread if there are things about the nyu's tandon mfe program you are interested about, or else contact them via email directly. Not that I don't enjoy this thread being derailled every single year but let's try to keep it on topic if possible.

I think you could create a thread if there are things about the nyu's tandon mfe program you are interested about, or else contact them via email directly. Not that I don't enjoy this thread being derailled every single year but let's try to keep it on topic if possible.

Thank you for your reply but it was meant for the program director.

That's something we will look into. It makes more sense for us to do specific regional rankings which is why we decided to do US-only programs this year instead of including Canadian programs as in the past.

Great. But I was actually hoping for EU programs to be included.

Hi Peter,

Can you clarify some of the employment stats for 2018?

116 employee seeking graduates in 2018 class, that's out of how many graduates total?

75% placement at graduation and 87% within 90 days, is that 75% and 87% of 116?

The location of employment has 66% within USA, that's out of how many students for which location is given?

AP

Hi Andy, is there any information regarding the admission rates for the programs? There used to be a thread that contained this information but I don't think it's been updated.

Hi Peter,

Can you clarify some of the employment stats for 2018?

116 employee seeking graduates in 2018 class, that's out of how many graduates total?

75% placement at graduation and 87% within 90 days, is that 75% and 87% of 116?

The location of employment has 66% within USA, that's out of how many students for which location is given?

AP
While I'm grateful for the intense interest in the details of NYU Tandon's MFE program, I'm mindful that this thread was meant to discuss rankings, as a thoughtful contributor pointed out. Please contact our dedicated career services office which can provide the color you need. This office provides services for alums such as yourself.

CGE, I'm assuming your intense interest in the details of NYU Tandon's MSFE reflects your desire to be accepted as a student. I apologize if we wrongly rejected your application in the past, but you have to understand that with over 1900 applications last year, we have to be highly selective. I'm mindful that this thread is meant to be a general discussion of rankings, and not about the course registration process of our students. If you PM me your email address, I can put you in touch with our students. Alternatively, if your anonymity is as important to you as it seems, you should just switch threads as was suggested.

OMG. I just can't take it anymore. How dare my school is still manipulating the data. 100% employment rate after 3-month graduation??? There are almost ONE-QUARTER students cannot find a job and end up going back to their own country!!! 100K+ average salary???? HOW ON THE EARTH did our career service got this number? I am soooo regret that I believed this manipulated employment data a year ago and rejected a top program. This is more than misleading. This is fraud!!! I STRONGLY advise you to look at the employment data on the school web yourself. Some post detailed employment statistics while some just BRAINLESSLY post 100%.

Also, for a program ranked around 10+. SHAME ON YOU!!! According to my friends in this programs, MORE THAN HALF students end up no job and go back to their country. You shamelessly say you have 90%+ employment rate??? What's wrong with this world???

OMG. I just can't take it anymore. How dare my school is still manipulating the data. 100% employment rate after 3-month graduation??? There are almost ONE-QUARTER students cannot find a job and end up going back to their own country!!! 100K+ average salary???? HOW ON THE EARTH did our career service got this number? I am soooo regret that I believed this manipulated employment data a year ago and rejected a top program. This is more than misleading. This is fraud!!! I STRONGLY advise you to look at the employment data on the school web yourself. Some post detailed employment statistics while some just BRAINLESSLY post 100%.

Also, for a program ranked around 10+. SHAME ON YOU!!! According to my friends in this programs, MORE THAN HALF students end up no job and go back to their country. You shamelessly say you have 90%+ employment rate??? What's wrong with this world???
Lol what school.

Back