• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2020 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020-QUANTNET-TOP-PROGRAMS.svg

We are pleased to announce the release of our QuantNet 2020 Rankings of Financial Engineering programs, to be available online at 9AM EST on Dec 16th.
Please turn on push notification and like this first post so you can instantly get notified when the rankings is live. You can enable the push notification feature on any mobile device or computer.

can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....thanks Andy

why is there a discrepancy between Georgia tech's salary stats on their site vs quantnet rankings.

The thing I always pay attention to the most is the placement rates at graduation and at 3 months after graduation. One thing I would also try to look for, in making a decision on where to attend, is the statistics for the number of students, in addition to the percentages.

Since these are self reported figures, the methodology may be significantly different. A placement rate of 80%+ means little if the percentage is based on surveys returned by only roughly half of the graduating class.

Reactions: cge
Since these are self reported figures, the methodology may be significantly different. A placement rate of 80%+ means little if the percentage is based on surveys returned by only roughly half of the graduating class.
Good point. The rate is reported by QuantNet from raw data provided by the programs (size of graduating class, number of students with jobs at graduation and 3 months later). We have done that since the last few rankings.

Good point. The rate is reported by QuantNet from raw data provided by the programs (size of graduating class, number of students with jobs at graduation and 3 months later). We have done that since the last few rankings.

That's good to hear, far more reliable than the programs reporting just a percentage.

How do you calculate the placement percentage if the school only receives survey responses from say, 70% of the graduating class?

How do you calculate the placement percentage if the school only receives survey responses from say, 70% of the graduating class?
Without going into details (I will kill you if I tell you sort of thing), suffice to say that we have some minimum threshold and safeguards in place to make sure our rankings represent the most comprehensive comparison between programs that the prospective students can rely on. It will never be perfect but there isn't a single ranking of MFE in the world that is better than the QuantNet ranking.
I personally feel pretty good about how better the rankings have become each year.

Personally, I feel like there might be some geographic bias in the average salary and bonus component. As we know NY jobs probably pays more than non-NY jobs, the program that have more graduates going to work in NY will have advantages in this component. For example, 120K in NY is approximately equal to 90K in Chicago in terms of living expenses and life quality, such as rent, food and other daily expenses. This might or might not be truely reflecting the quality of life program graduates are having after earning a degree.
Consider standarding this bias by scaling the average salary with purchasing power parity conversion factor provided by the World Bank

Last edited:
For example, 120K in NY is approximately equal to 90K in Chicago in terms of living expenses and life quality, such as rent, food and other daily expenses.

Things can get completely out of control if you start playing this game. Just using raw numbers is the most understandable and fair.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 10.40.18 AM.png

How is it that official stats are so different from what quantnet is reporting, I have seen this discrepancy last year also.
Can anyone explain why is this the case? quantnet reported 98k as avg total salary vs 115k stated here

View attachment 32864

How is it that official stats are so different from what quantnet is reporting, I have seen this discrepancy last year also.
Can anyone explain why is this the case? quantnet reported 98k as avg total salary vs 115k stated here

Bigger discrepancy is the placement rate at graduation. 76 vs 62 is pretty stark.

I would be skeptical of placement rates given lacking the actual number of employed students vs employment seeking students vs graduating class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back