• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2020 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020-QUANTNET-TOP-PROGRAMS.svg

We are pleased to announce the release of our QuantNet 2020 Rankings of Financial Engineering programs, to be available online at 9AM EST on Dec 16th.
Please turn on push notification and like this first post so you can instantly get notified when the rankings is live. You can enable the push notification feature on any mobile device or computer.

I’m surprised that CU MSFE has better placement statistics than CMU MSCF. I attended CMU MSCF and had many friends from CU MSFE. The numbers given by quantnet contradict what I heard and observed.

1. The employment rate after graduation is unfair for programs with an earlier graduation date. CU MSFE calculated the statistics as of February 2019, one month later than CMU's graduation date.
2. According to MSFE's website, only 63% of MSFE students reported their compensation. Assuming students normally report compensation along with job search status, I'm curious about how you get the 93% employment rate for CU MSFE (93% is even higher than MSFE's self-reported 90%), is the rate calculated only from students who responded? If so, this is unfair for CMU MSCF, because we have a much higher response rate for compensation (91%), which indicates that our statistics are much more reliable.
3. Different programs have different standards to report their placement statistics. While MSCF strictly follows the rigorous mbacsea standard, most programs fail to do so. Quantnet should really take the quality of placement statistics into account next year.
4. Why not including internship statistics? This is another important part of placement record.

I’m surprised that CU MSFE has better placement statistics than CMU MSCF. I attended CMU MSCF and had many friends from CU MSFE. The numbers given by quantnet contradict what I heard and observed.

1. The employment rate after graduation is unfair for programs with an earlier graduation date. CU MSFE calculated the statistics as of February 2019, one month later than CMU's graduation date.
2. According to MSFE's website, only 63% of MSFE students reported their compensation. Assuming students normally report compensation along with job search status, I'm curious about how you get the 93% employment rate for CU MSFE (93% is even higher than MSFE's self-reported 90%), is the rate calculated only from students who responded? If so, this is unfair for CMU MSCF, because we have a much higher response rate for compensation (91%), which indicates that our statistics are much more reliable.
3. Different programs have different standards to report their placement statistics. While MSCF strictly follows the rigorous mbacsea standard, most programs fail to do so. Quantnet should really take the quality of placement statistics into account next year.
4. Why not including internship statistics? This is another important part of placement record.
Including internship, statistics is a brilliant idea. Now it seems so silly that the didnt include that (Maybe there is some reason for it).
I also agree with the discrepancies but i think in this case it doesn't matter much as CMU MSCF is undoubtedly better in quality of students and the placements. this can be seen with a simple Linkedin search.
Columbia MSFE student quality seems a bit of a mess recently.

Can anyone help me with an objective comparison between the Rutgers MQF Program and Stevens Financial Engg program?

I have received admits from both of these universities and also have got 20k scholarship from Stevens.
Please help me out
Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, Oxford, Imperial, UZH-ETH, and EFPL, among others, are quite good.

Looking at current european conditions im convinced you would be better off doing an average masters program in US rather than a top one in europe
Phd is a different ball game though

I agree, is just the tuition fee and living costs of US universities that scare me

But average salaries compensate for that.
As they say spend money to make money

In the end its all dependent on a persons ability to market themselves and their networking skills to secure a job

You surely compensate after graduation, but what about the initial investment. I don't really wanna rely on parents money to pay for the 200-300k of total costs of uni and life

I'm aware scholarships do exist but like you'll probably need money of your own as well

I've recently been offered a place at Georgia, does anybody know how difficult is it for international students to secure a working visa after graduation?

Also, do you know of any scholarship still open for international students?

why is there a discrepancy between Georgia tech's salary stats on their site vs quantnet rankings.
Not sure... I was thinking about getting a MFE degree but now after seeing the average salary, a MFE degree doesn't seem that appealing to me( although I do like stat or math a lot). I have a CS MS from GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back