• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

2023 QuantNet Rankings of Financial Engineering (MFE) Programs

I would want to know how many were "forced" to work in a start-up
Forced because they couldn't get a job anywhere else! Obviously, they wont say it straight to you. No one joins a MFE program wanting to go into data science and analytics roles. They should have gone for CS and analytics program. they joined MFE because they got rejected from everywhere. Thus, I said "bad student quality". Do not take this as personal insult. It is just the truth!

Hey yall future quants! CMU MSCF continues to drop on QN ranking. Is MSCF now really a tier 2 program (behind Baruch, Princeton and UCB)? What are yall thoughts? Or is QN ranking not as accurate as before? Curious on how yall think about it. :) Happy finals!

Hey yall future quants! CMU MSCF continues to drop on QN ranking. Is MSCF now really a tier 2 program (behind Baruch, Princeton and UCB)? What are yall thoughts? Or is QN ranking not as accurate as before? Curious on how yall think about it. :) Happy finals!
Rankings are subjective based on what metrics you feel are important. I think the most important metric of a program is its reputation in the view of reputable hedge funds/banks. I'm not too sure about banks as I didn't apply to any for full time but based on some internal documents of certain hedge funds + some inside info I hear from students across the 'top 5' programs, this is the ranking based on industry reputation:

1) Princeton MFin (it's honestly a crime not to put Princeton at top 2, half the intern class superdayed for Citadel this season)
2) CMU MSCF (the current intern cycle for CMU is arguably even better than Princeton with 3 Citadel, 1 DRW ,1 2 Sigma, 1 Cubist from what I recall)
After this it gets kinda muddy but for recent cycles, I'd say:
3) Columbia MFE (at least 1 Optiver offer, 2 IMC offers, 1 CTC offer, 1 Akuna offer, some Millenium offers and this is only from the <15 people I spoken to)
4) Baruch MFE (honestly the talent is insane for Baruch but the highest starting salary + sign on bonus is only 200k for Dec 2021 - May 2022 graduates which I think is way way way too low given the Peking/Tsinghua talent, even some banks are hitting 200k for base + sign on, JS is paying 300k base alone. They do have an alumni Millenium connection and send quite a few people there, but Millenium does not pay that well especially considering the stress)
5) Berkeley MFE (it is a decent program but I seen some internal documents suggesting that it has fallen off in recent years)
6) MIT MFin (median not so great but top quantile of MIT is not any worse than any of the top 5 with several Jump QR placements)

I have no impressions of the rest as none of my friends or friends of friends go to the other programs. I have heard that NYU courant hasn't been placing too well into the IMC/Citadel/DRW/Optivers though.

However, I think if you're an independent self-driven student and you want the program that yields the best shot of landing a top tier buy side, I think the rankings shift slightly to account for work load balance. The point of grad school is to land a top tier job (which needs tons and tons of interview prep/ actual superdaying), and I heard too many complaints of CMU MSCF and Berkeley MFE unnecessarily giving too much work (CMU's minis is death and Berkeley crams too much in 1 year). My personal rankings factoring in this is:
1) Princeton MFin
2) Columbia MFE (I have heard half the class graduating in Dec. isn't even in the country right now and is vacationing elsewhere)
3) CMU MSCF (too much work but damn is there a good internal 'database' of 'useful' stuff :) )
4) MIT MFin/Berkeley/Baruch (MITs just a ton more chill than Berkeley and Baruch, and the upper tail is just as good)

But these are all just my subjective rankings that care almost entirely about just the upper tail (but why settle for anything less). I also do not factor career service at all because it's not that useful in my opinion - nothing will help you pass the superday for the top tier buysides except your own merit.

Last edited:
This year's ranking for Columbia MFE doesn't make sense. All other top 10-15 programs have 80-95% employment rate with minimal variance, but ours is 40%?

As an imminent graduate from this program, I can say with certainty that the employment stats in our class is far higher than 40%. I would recommend Andy to review the information source and reconsider the ranking. In our specific case, many people in the graduating class from last year extended their studies and possibly fell into the current cohort. This may have contributed to the discrepancy.

A rank drop of 4 spots and a decrease of employment rate from 87% to 40% based on highly suspect data is quite damaging to our program, especially given the prominence of this ranking.

This year's ranking for Columbia MFE doesn't make sense. All other top 10-15 programs have 80-95% employment rate with minimal variance, but ours is 40%?

As an imminent graduate from this program, I can say with certainty that the employment stats in our class is far higher than 40%. I would recommend Andy to review the information source and reconsider the ranking. In our specific case, many people in the graduating class from last year extended their studies and possibly fell into the current cohort. This may have contributed to the discrepancy.

A rank drop of 4 spots and a decrease of employment rate from 87% to 40% based on highly suspect data is quite damaging to our program, especially given the prominence of this ranking.
The employment rate 3 months after graduation being equal to the US only employment rate 3 months after graduation is also highly suspicious, especially in comparison to Columbia MAFN where it is implied 42% of that graduates are going to work internationally.

Forced because they couldn't get a job anywhere else! Obviously, they wont say it straight to you. No one joins a MFE program wanting to go into data science and analytics roles. They should have gone for CS and analytics program. they joined MFE because they got rejected from everywhere. Thus, I said "bad student quality". Do not take this as personal insult. It is just the truth!
I am a current UCB MFE student. Personally, I received two big bank sell-side internship offers and two small "startup" hedge funds internship offers. I chose to go to one of the small "startups".

I would say the rationale behind this phenomenon is actually simple: "big-brand" firms are already mature, so they sometimes offer low-level jobs focusing on a small task with a low compensation; meanwhile, many small "startups" are founded by ex-Millenium/ex-Citadel managers who are willing to give a great compensation package and personally coach the interns, so students in UCB MFE seeing these opportunities with higher compensation, greater exposure to different tasks, and a super mentor to follow are willingly accepting these so-called "startup" offers.

Thus, big-brand buy-side firms may not be the best choice as you imagined. The ranking and the compensation statistics vividly showed you why MIT and CMU are not in the top 3.

I would say the rationale behind this phenomenon is actually simple: "big-brand" firms are already mature, so they sometimes offer low-level jobs focusing on a small task with a low compensation; meanwhile, many small "startups" are founded by ex-Millenium/ex-Citadel managers who are willing to give a great compensation package and personally coach the interns, so students in UCB MFE seeing these opportunities with higher compensation, greater exposure to different tasks, and a super mentor to follow are willingly accepting these so-called "startup" offers.

The average starting base + sign on of 170k is actually worse than quite a few banks. BoA, BNP, Morgan Stanley are all in the 190-210k range already for base + sign on bonus for desk quant roles (only big brand bank I know that lowballs is Goldman) . So not quite sure I agree with 'big brand firms offering low compensation' although yes it's probably a fraction of certain startups like Aquatic (which I'm not even sure any MFE has landed).

The ranking and the compensation statistics vividly showed you why MIT and CMU are not in the top 3.

Ranking is fairly subjective, compensation stats only focus on average but CMU's upper tail for internships is absolutely killing all other programs except Princeton this cycle. I personally met many more CMU MSCF interviewers at IMC/DRW/Cit Sec superdays than Berkeley for example, and their internship stats right now are absolutely nuts (5+ 60k for 10 weeks with housing offers). imo CMU is definitely a top 3 program (great industry reputation, half the class superdayed for Cubist this cycle).

Thus, big-brand buy-side firms may not be the best choice as you imagined.
And oh man now we're talking high 300s to over half a mill new grad offers for basically all the big brand buy side firms. I don't think many people would be turning these down for startups

Last edited:
The average starting base + sign on of 170k is actually worse than quite a few banks. BoA, BNP, Morgan Stanley are all in the 190-210k range already for base + sign on bonus for desk quant roles (only big brand bank I know that lowballs is Goldman) . So not quite sure I agree with 'big brand firms offering low compensation' although yes it's probably a fraction of certain startups like Aquatic.

Ranking is fairly subjective, compensation stats only focus on average but CMU's upper tail for internships is absolutely killing all other programs except Princeton this cycle. I personally met many more CMU MSCF interviewers at IMC/DRW/Cit Sec superdays than Berkeley for example, and their internship stats right now are absolutely nuts (5+ 60k for 10 weeks with housing offers). imo CMU is definitely a top 3 program.
Well, if their "upper tail" is that fabulous but their average compensation is still 30k+ less than UCB, doesn't that just tell you how mediocre their "lower tail" is?

After all, super-talented people would shine wherever they go, but improving the qualities of the average students to a higher level is what makes a program astonishing.

Well, if their "upper tail" is that fabulous but their average compensation is still 30k+ less than UCB, doesn't that just tell you how mediocre their "lower tail" is?
Variety of factors, QN average comp doesn't consider internships, and definitely not internships this cycle. Different MFEs have different standards for reporting the salaries, CMU/NYU Courant is known for super truthful reporting, Columbia was known to be a litttle bit sketchy with their reporting, not too sure of Berkeley's reporting standards. (there's no central rules of how a MFE has to report their salaries so I always take them with a grain of salt, the offers I see are the offers I believe)

After all, super-talented people would shine wherever they go, but improving the qualities of the average students to a higher level is what makes a program astonishing.
Yeah this is why rankings are fairly subjective - the best choice of a program depends on the person applying. If the person thinks they're going to be top 5 in the program and has the mentality "whats the place that would maximize my chances to get Citadel" for example, they would probably be more interested in the upper tail than the mean (CMU MSCF has the most representation in Cit Sec compared to other MFEs I believe). CMU and Princeton also generally have the best reputation among the big name buy side firms

When choosing to enroll in MFE programs, should we only consider pursuing an MFE if we get into the top 10, 15, or 20?

I don’t think you have to go for an MFE and compete with your classmates for that top 10, 15 percentile spot. You go there to learn together and compete in the US job market for internships and full-time opportunities.

Everyone comes from a different background and may want to work in a different role.

It can’t be the case that Citadel asks for exactly 5 best CMU MSCF students and then they do the interview process to find those 5. They might take more or less based on the candidate performance.

I don’t think you have to go for an MFE and compete with your classmates for that top 10, 15 percentile spot. You go there to learn together and compete in the US job market for internships and full-time opportunities.

Everyone comes from a different background and may want to work in a different role.

It can’t be the case that Citadel asks for exactly 5 best CMU MSCF students and then they do the interview process to find those 5. They might take more or less based on the candidate performance.
Yes, they interview alot more than the top 5 and the emphasis is definitely on the interview performance but there's still a high correlation between the top academic performers and those who get in. When I did a linkedin search on the Cit Sec QRs, the most common theme I observed was like top in province in china + ridicuously high MSCF/MFE grades (I think all were 4.1+)

And yeah u don't have to compete for the top 10 and 15 spots, but the candidates these firms want are kind of expected to naturally just be excellent. I personally had difficulty finding any profiles that were not completely stacked. It's really a mentality thing I think, all the people I personally know going to these firms were also either one of the best in their undergrad and/or best in their grad and have the most grindy "i have to win no matter what" attitude

Last edited:
Yes, they interview alot more than the top 5 and the emphasis is definitely on the interview performance but there's still a high correlation between the top academic performers and those who get in. When I did a linkedin search on the Cit Sec QRs, the most common theme I observed was like top in province in china + ridicuously high MSCF/MFE grades (I think all were 4.1+)

And yeah u don't have to compete for the top 10 and 15 spots, but the candidates these firms want are kind of expected to naturally just be excellent. I personally had difficulty finding any profiles that were not completely stacked. It's really a mentality thing I think, all the people I personally know going to these firms were also either one of the best in their undergrad and/or best in their grad and have the most grindy "i have to win no matter what" attitude
Well, just like you said. Top candidates have the "I have to win no matter what" attitude, so they learn whatever is needed to be accepted. A 1-year/1.5-year MFE program will never be enough for teaching students those things that they are looking for. Thus, these top students achieved such "excellence" very often due to their own efforts than what the program taught them.

Think about it! If you can be in that top 5 in CMU, you're very likely able to get into UCB/Princeton/Baruch as well. Year by year, there always were some outliers in each program who get the very best offers.

These people simply pick one program and succeed regardless of the environment. Maybe this year CMU has a few more of these students, and next year Princeton has more of them. They may choose a program because the program gave them an offer first or because the program fits their timeline closely.

Hence, it's random!!! None of these programs are designed to cultivate the smartest among the smartest. The true credit of a program lies in its ability to carry smart but not the smartest people to be better through its resources. As a result, average compensation is a very fair way to measure the quality of a program, so, as you can see, Baruch/Princeton/UCB are the official top 3 chosen by Quantnet: their average compensations outstand all the other programs by a significant amount.

I can verify that all the ranking data is coming from the programs' directors and staff directly. I have double checked with Columbia MFE as well as other programs to confirm the accuracy of their data after the submission.

Think about it! If you can be in that top 5 in CMU, you're very likely able to get into UCB/Princeton/Baruch as well.
Interestingly enough, I know quite a few students that ended up getting the best job placements who actually got rejected from Princeton (I can even admit I didn't even get an interview to Princeton but got into Berkeley in the early rounds back then where Linda called me with the sales pitch).

None of these programs are designed to cultivate the smartest among the smartest. The true credit of a program lies in its ability to carry smart but not the smartest people to be better through its resources. As a result, average compensation is a very fair way to measure the quality of a program, so, as you can see, Baruch/Princeton/UCB are the official top 3 chosen by Quantnet: their average compensations outstand all the other programs by a significant amount.
I partially agree but then the same reasoning detracts from Princeton (and Baruch). Princeton only takes the 25-30 people that the admissions office determines to have the best chances of getting the best placements (and similiarily with Baruch which has probably the highest concentration of top in province Chinese undergrads), compared to Columbia/CMU/Berkeley which are all much more lenient in granting admissions. By the same reasoning, one can claim "Princeton and Baruch don't have the most credit because they already take the most excellent students in - of course they'll naturally get great compensation stats, several Princeton MFins already interned for the best firms prior to the program!" It can be argued that a better way to compare to Princeton/Baruch is to just take the top 25 people from each program, and the average salary conditioned on top 25 would most likely show 1) Princeton 2) CMU and then harder to guess from there.

Top candidates have the "I have to win no matter what" attitude, so they learn whatever is needed to be accepted. Thus, these top students achieved such "excellence" very often due to their own efforts than what the program taught them. These people simply pick one program and succeed regardless of the environment. Hence, it's random!!!
Yes, I agree passing the interviews and getting the job is ultimately almost entirely based on the individual, and the top 5 programs do a similiar enough job in providing enough of a name to get past the resume screens. That's why in my personal subjective rankings I don't even consider curriculum (although they're probably similar enough anyways) - I personally just care about the program's buy side industry rep (I have seen some documents from a firm that have the most recruitment quota for Princeton/Baruch, and then much less for the programs outside the top 5) as well as how chill the program is so more time to prepare for interviews (the most successful interview prep strategy I seen work is to actually interview for the smaller hedge funds just for fun and build up experience but this is very very time consuming and so I personally think a program should be light in coursework like Columbia/MIT/Princeton)

But even though it probably doesn't matter too much in the end what top 5 school the top candidate ends up picking, I can say the talents definitely have a bias towards Princeton/CMU/Baruch (for top Chinese international students at least). I can fairly safely say the top candidates don't just randomly pick one program - they have their own 'internal ranking' of their perceived reputation of the programs (most but obviously not all would pick Princeton if given choice to all programs)

Last edited:
I'm sharing a LinkedIn post from Lars Nielsen, the director of Columbia MAFN program. He posted a month ago about their admission statistics since Covid.

The MAFN program has been doing extremely well during and after Covid, as shown below and in the attached admissions statistics.

Number of applications
The number of applications is up from 1089 in 2019 to 1105 in 2022. Anecdotally, a number of comparable programs report that their applications are down.

Quality of students
The “quality” of the students – as measured by test scores and undergraduate GPAs – has been high and it continues to rise:
- Even though GRE test scores are now optional, 92% of the Fall 2021 entering class submitted GRE scores.
- Average quantitative and verbal GRE scores and median verbal scores rose steadily from 2019 and continued to rise into 2022.
- Median quantitative scores continued to be at the max possible
- Average and median undergraduate GPA held steady.

Job landings
As reported in accordance with the quantnet ranking service’s definitions and standards, 100% of our 2021 graduates landed jobs within 3 months of graduation. This continued to be true of our 2022 graduates, but in addition, 87% of the 2022 graduates landed jobs by the time of graduation. This is a significant improvement over the state of affairs in 2019 and earlier years. Shout-out to Izabela Rutkowski, our Associate Director, whose portfolio includes Career Management and Employer Relations.

New adjunct faculty
Several new adjunct professors have joined recently, most notably Alberto Botter, MD at AQR, and Gordon Ritter, Buy-Side Quant of the Year, 2019. Look for more high-level quants to join in the Spring.

Attachments

• Columbia MAFN 2022 Admissions Statistics.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 64
Interestingly enough, I know quite a few students that ended up getting the best job placements who actually got rejected from Princeton (I can even admit I didn't even get an interview to Princeton but got into Berkeley in the early rounds back then where Linda called me with the sales pitch).

I partially agree but then the same reasoning detracts from Princeton (and Baruch). Princeton only takes the 25-30 people that the admissions office determines to have the best chances of getting the best placements (and similiarily with Baruch which has probably the highest concentration of top in province Chinese undergrads), compared to Columbia/CMU/Berkeley which are all much more lenient in granting admissions. By the same reasoning, one can claim "Princeton and Baruch don't have the most credit because they already take the most excellent students in - of course they'll naturally get great compensation stats, several Princeton MFins already interned for the best firms prior to the program!" It can be argued that a better way to compare to Princeton/Baruch is to just take the top 25 people from each program, and the average salary conditioned on top 25 would most likely show 1) Princeton 2) CMU and then harder to guess from there.

Yes, I agree passing the interviews and getting the job is ultimately almost entirely based on the individual, and the top 5 programs do a similiar enough job in providing enough of a name to get past the resume screens. That's why in my personal subjective rankings I don't even consider curriculum (although they're probably similar enough anyways) - I personally just care about the program's buy side industry rep (I have seen some documents from a firm that have the most recruitment quota for Princeton/Baruch, and then much less for the programs outside the top 5) as well as how chill the program is so more time to prepare for interviews (the most successful interview prep strategy I seen work is to actually interview for the smaller hedge funds just for fun and build up experience but this is very very time consuming and so I personally think a program should be light in coursework like Columbia/MIT/Princeton)

But even though it probably doesn't matter too much in the end what top 5 school the top candidate ends up picking, I can say the talents definitely have a bias towards Princeton/CMU/Baruch (for top Chinese international students at least). I can fairly safely say the top candidates don't just randomly pick one program - they have their own 'internal ranking' of their perceived reputation of the programs (most but obviously not all would pick Princeton if given choice to all programs)
It's hard to imagine what kind of job you do for a living to be able to have all the "insider" information to touch upon all these internal confidential documents from both the top schools and all these top firms who are competing against each other without any real evidence. In my opinion, you look more like a keyboard warrior defending your loving school by making things up.

In the meantime, I can only attest to what I do know as a student at UCB MFE. We have more than 30 top Chinese international students, so I don't know how you magically know "top Chinese international students have a bias towards Princeton/CMU/Baruch".

This forum is called "QuantNet". Not "AnecdoteNet". Not "ShareTheStoryIJustMadeUpNet". Please argue with facts, evidence, and common sense instead of "luckily, I happen to omnisciently know what all the students were thinking and what all the firms were thinking". If we argue in such a fictional style, all the other programs would have reasons to be ranked higher.

It's hard to imagine what kind of job you do for a living to be able to have all the "insider" information to touch upon all these internal confidential documents from both the top schools and all these top firms who are competing against each other without any real evidence.
Hmm maybe someone in a top school who landed one or several of these firms for internship/full time whos friends in undergrad went to other top schools and also landed internships/full time at several of these firms. Or yeah I can be completely bsing, you don't have to believe me - alot of what I said I prefaced with "in my opinion" or "personal subjective rankings." Didn't say confidential documents from all these top firms - I only had access to the documents of one firm (the one that gave most quota to Princeton/Baruch), the other firms was just from my interview experience (where the interviewers came from) + a rough linkedin frequency count of how many buyside QRs came from each MFE program.

In my opinion, you look more like a keyboard warrior defending your loving school by making things up.
I mean I said good things about Princeton (said it was the #1), Baruch (said one of highest concentration of talents although recent placements in top buysides seem to be lagging), CMU (overall great but too much work), Columbia AND MIT (and also did place berkeley top 5 in my subjective rankings) so what school am I even defending again.

We have more than 30 top Chinese international students, so I don't know how you magically know "top Chinese international students have a bias towards Princeton/CMU/Baruch".
I didn't say ALL top chinese international students went to Princeton/CMU/Baruch - I said top chinese international talent is biased towards Baruch (Baruch has a very very strong international Chinese alumni network). You have no idea how much gossip we have on wechat and 1point3acres to have a general feel for these type of things.

This forum is called "QuantNet". Not "AnecdoteNet". Not "ShareTheStoryIJustMadeUpNet". Please argue with facts, evidence, and common sense instead of "luckily, I happen to omnisciently know what all the students were thinking and what all the firms were thinking". If we argue in such a fictional style, all the other programs would have reasons to be ranked higher.
"QuantNet" as in a net for quants.... I never claimed to know what all students are thinking or what all firms are thinking, I said theres a general preference of buyside firms towards 1) Princeton 2) CMU... of course some other firms might have a different preference. Okay, if you want objective evidence of what I mean by upper tail:
Here's CMU's current internship statistics: 3 Citadel (~60k for 10 weeks, 500-600k TC for FT), 1 DRW (~60k for 10 weeks, 375k TC for FT), 1 Two Sigma (lowballs internship relative to other top buysides but 205k base for full time), Cubist (unsure about intern pay but nearing 400k TC FT although I only have one sample point for this). There's a 10/13 rate of accepted offers to very reputable buysides. "o wow you're lying about these salaries how can you possibly know you couldnt have had offers to all of them!" - okay yea sure believe whatever. Furthermore, take some time, get linkedin premium and search as many QR profiles from Cit Sec as you can find and tally up the most common MFEs - now you constructed an empirical distribution (lmk what u find).
1670613382276.png

and now compare to Berkeley MFE internship placements (which does have respectable placements for sure but where's the HRT/Jump/IMC/DRW/Optiver/Citadel etcs?). Berkeley MFE is a good program, but based on my subjective experience in the current cycles, Princeton and CMU are placing better into these buysides (NOT to say that Berkeley MFE is not placing into these buy sides at all, they ARE, just not as many).

1670613754241.png

Wow, you really have the time and resources to do research about these irrelevant things even years after graduation just to prove the school that you graduated from is worth a better ranking. I'm done arguing. Maybe Quantnet should rank CMU up? I am just a stupid graduating student who may forget about this website three years later. Good for you~

Back