• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ online certificate for MFE applicants

TBeas jzavala
That's a very good question which nobody has mentioned before. Here are a few thoughts to help you determine the best timing to take this course
  • We will open enrollment multiple times a year so chances are when you are ready or need to take it, the next one is just around the corner for you.
  • C++ is something that you "forget if not doing it". So this course is best taken when you are near applying to some MFE programs or using this for your job. Of course, if you are a junior college students and would like to keep learning C++ to improve your skills in the next few years, it can only help.
  • From an admission point of view, here is my thoughts as someone who reviews applications for MFE program: you need to show some working knowledge of C++ to be competitive. This is done by taking a recent college course or already working with C++ in a professional capacity. This would mean that taking some C++ college course 5 years ago would not be qualified as "recent". Chance is this applicant already forgot everything he learned about C++ 10 years ago. See my point above.
  • There is no renewal/re-certify process for this course. You have unlimited access to the course materials once you enroll so you can go over what you learn, redoing the assignments on your own time, etc... to refresh. We can certify that you know the materials well enough to pass the course when you take the final exam. We can't certify that you will still remember it 3 years from now. It's in your best interest to keep your skill updated and current.
Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any other questions that you have.

Thanks for the response Andy. I guess I have some thinking to do. I'd like for the course content to be fresh when I apply to programs but I also want to gain the knowledge as soon as possible. I am currently in the industry and do not plan to apply for 3 years because I would like to complete the CFA designation first. From your post, it seems if I take the course now (or sooner rather than later) and apply these skills at work on relevant projects I should technically "not forget", but then the question is on an application does it look better to say you completed the course 3 years ago and have been using and applying the language since (not necessarily in FE), or say you recently completed the course and can answer with confidence any C++ FE interview questions.

jzavala
The important question for everyone taking this course would be: what you plan to do after you are done with it?

And I'd like to believe that the people who benefit most would be those continue on with the solid foundation we have provided them. While our course's unique feature is its relevant financial applications, you don't have to apply what you learn to strictly financial domains. There are many interesting technical problems out there and C++ knowledge is not domain-specific.

What people would like to see is that you use this C++ foundation to do something, not just taking it for the sake of having done a C++ course. And obviously, for MFE admission or quant jobs, being able to write on your resume that you wrote C++ code to build option pricers, Monte-Carlo, etc are something that employers desire. It surely beats a generic C++ course provided by thousands of university elsewhere.

Personally, I look forward to doing this course for some technique that I can use to build my own bitcoin trading bots. I think it's a new and very interesting domain where financial and technical knowledge would give people the edge.

jzavala
The important question for everyone taking this course would be: what you plan to do after you are done with it?

And I'd like to believe that the people who benefit most would be those continue on with the solid foundation we have provided them. While our course's unique feature is its relevant financial applications, you don't have to apply what you learn to strictly financial domains. There are many interesting technical problems out there and C++ knowledge is not domain-specific.

What people would like to see is that you use this C++ foundation to do something, not just taking it for the sake of having done a C++ course. And obviously, for MFE admission or quant jobs, being able to write on your resume that you wrote C++ code to build option pricers, Monte-Carlo, etc are something that employers desire. It surely beats a generic C++ course provided by thousands of university elsewhere.

Personally, I look forward to doing this course for some technique that I can use to build my own bitcoin trading bots. I think it's a new and very interesting domain where financial and technical knowledge would give people the edge.

This pretty much solves my case. If you give some seats from the first intake to non MFE applicants, just count me in. Giuseppe.

hi andy,
when is it coming exactly, i have subscribe new letter , and i am waiting............

hi andy,
when is it coming exactly, i have subscribe new letter , and i am waiting............
People would get an announcement on the course in the first week of Sept and about the registration date. First intake would limit to around 25 people who will receive the introductory price of $1,250.

Obviously, we would give a heads up to members who already expressed interest in this thread.

Andy, if I missed the first intake, when would the next intake be? I hope to take it on time before MFE applications. Thanks!

Andy, if I missed the first intake, when would the next intake be? I hope to take it on time before MFE applications. Thanks!
We would allow members here pre-register before the general public but in case you miss it, we hope to offer new slots monthly.
Of course, we will have a countdown on the site until the next opening day :)

This whole thing sounds awesome, Andy; you're doing a great service to those of us whose universities don't offer any C++ training.

Can anything be done to up my chance of getting in on the first round? I've been a lurker here for months now, but rarely (almost never) make posts. Maybe if I create an Andy Nguyen fan club or something? :)

This course sounds really great! Signed up the newsletter already! :)

Dear Andy and Daniel

I've decided to take this course sometime during the spring next year as part of my master degree in mathematics. I'm hoping that I can include it in my degree at my university in Sweden. But that would require someone qualified at my university to work out how big the workload is and how many credits it will represent in Sweden.

Even if I do not include it in my degree it would still be important how many credits it represents since that determines the amount of money you get from the government :)

In Sweden we say that 1 week of full time studies (40h) is worth 1.5 credits. Usually you take 2 courses simultaneously, each at 7.5 credits. So for example, if this course takes approximately 10 weeks to complete at full time pace, then it would be worth 15 credits.

I'm assuming that, later when the course is up and running, there will be an official web site where I can direct someone from my university so he or she can find the relevant information or the relevant person to contact?

Really looking forward to this!

Cheers!

/DT

Dear Andy and Daniel

I've decided to take this course sometime during the spring next year as part of my master degree in mathematics. I'm hoping that I can include it in my degree at my university in Sweden. But that would require someone qualified at my university to work out how big the workload is and how many credits it will represent in Sweden.

Even if I do not include it in my degree it would still be important how many credits it represents since that determines the amount of money you get from the government :)

In Sweden we say that 1 week of full time studies (40h) is worth 1.5 credits. Usually you take 2 courses simultaneously, each at 7.5 credits. So for example, if this course takes approximately 10 weeks to complete at full time pace, then it would be worth 15 credits.

I'm assuming that, later when the course is up and running, there will be an official web site where I can direct someone from my university so he or she can find the relevant information or the relevant person to contact?

Really looking forward to this!

Cheers!

/DT

What kind of Math are you doing, DoubleTrouble if you don't mind my asking?

What kind of Math are you doing, DoubleTrouble if you don't mind my asking?

Of course not!

Until about a ago my focus was on algebra and topology. I then drifted into measure theory and integration theory, functional analysis and then the step to partial differential equations and stochastic calculus wasn't that big. The professor who teaches integration theory also teaches 2 advance level and one phd course in mathematical finance. After the first course I was very intrigued by the subject so I took the second one and that's where I am at the moment. I'm planning on doing my thesis very much related to finance. Just got to find an advisor (the professor I mentioned will retire very soon)

Best regards

Back