• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do you want to learn Stat Arb/Quant Trading?

jimkliew

Professor
I'm looking for super bright students/programmers with no finance background who have a burning desire to learn Stat Arb/Quant Trading. I will teach it to you over a course of 5 weeks. In return, I request that you help me build my quant strategies -- systematic trading strategies that will be posted on the Alpha Quant Club. After you learn the basics, you will help me for 10-weeks, build out these systematic strategies, most of the work will be programming (in R). After that, you are free to pursue your career in Stat Arb/Quant. I'm also happy to make introductions for you too, provided you do a good job in class. Please take whatever you learned with you.

The only requirements to enroll in my course are that:
(1) You must be very bright (send me a paragraph why you want to learn, your resume, test scores, and a recent pic);
(2) You must have 100% integrity; and
(3) You must do all the homework assignments that I give you, no excuses.
Finally, I have the right to stop teaching you for whatever reason.

I've taught Stat Arb at Columbia/JHU/Baruch, also just finished teaching Hedge Fund Strategies at NYU Stern.

Classes will be held at 1221 Avenue of Americas (in NYC) on Wednesday from 6-8pm. (probably start in one or two weeks) I plan to keep teaching this course so admission will be on a rolling basis. Class sizes will be limited to ~10 students per class. I will ask "students" to pay $250 (if accepted) and "professionals" (people with day jobs) $2,500 (if accepted), to help pay for the facilities and other expenses etc. I have set up a PayPal account. No refunds and I'm going to try remote teaching.

My bio is below:
http://www.ieor.columbia.edu/fac-bios/liew/faculty.html
NYU Stern - Jim Liew - Adjunct Assistant Professor of Finance

My club:
Alpha Quant Club

My email:
jimkliew@gmail.com

Only apply if you feel up to the challenge and want to change your life forever by jump-starting your career in Quant investing!

Thanks again!

I just wanted to mention that this is for a NEW class. The other class is already filled and many applicants still wanted to participate, so a new class has been opened, and this is for that class.

Looking for someone with video/audio experience

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help with video/audio so that I can broadcast my class overseas via the internet. Curious to know if anyone could help me out? Does that even make sense, or can you suggestion some other possible solutions. Thanks again, Jim

I took Jim Liew's course, and his bird eye-view of the quant industry gave me a wonderful understanding how all the prices fit together. I highly recommend it!

- Director / Quantitative Trader, MIT PhD at age 25

I took Jim's class. Totally engaging teaching style and very interesting real-world assignments. Students should definitely take this course if you want something extremely challenging and very practical.

Very important, this class demands lots of work but if you put the time and effort, you will be rewarded.

Wow, thanks!

Impressed by me? Wow, thanks! But the reality is I'm just a regular guy (originally from Oklahoma) trying to build my business. I teach to raise money to buy data/equipment/pay rent/to meet great people, and to get help programming these quant models. The odds are completely stacked against me as I want to build a world class quant business in NYC, much more than just a multi-strategy quant hedge fund. I want to dethrone Mr. Dalio...anyone wanna join the fight? (Not that I have anything against him personally, I just think that Bridgewater is a hugely impressive company (a nice Goliath)...and probably the biggest and best now, since Dr. Simons retired.)

You should be impressed by what you can do after you take my class, not by me! ;)

you are supposed to be impressed by Jim Liew

I will be definitely impressed after Jim makes as much money as say James Simons :)

..should I be impressed by the fact that someone got a PhD at age 25?? sorry, not impressed at all :)

ThinkDifferent, what if I find, teach, train, and launch the next James Simons?

ThinkDifferent, what if I find, teach, train, and launch the next James Simons? Will I get any credit for that? ;) I think that's more likely at my old age. Did you know that the old Russian Mathematician used to put a watered down version of a problem they were trying to solve on the Math Olympic tests, hoping that they would find some young student who would be able to break-thru with some brilliant solution? I'm a bit too old to come up with anymore brilliant ideas but still young enough to mentor smart students. The kids will have to break-thru and topple the giants, I'll just set them up with all the necessary tools, give them some direction/courage and some hints. In the process, I hope to find some talented students and maybe guide them over their lives and careers. Enjoy your Turkey-Day!

ThinkDifferent, what if I find, teach, train, and launch the next James Simons? Will I get any credit for that? ;) I think that's more likely at my old age. Did you know that the old Russian Mathematician used to put a watered down version of a problem they were trying to solve on the Math Olympic tests, hoping that they would find some young student who would be able to break-thru with some brilliant solution? I'm a bit too old to come up with anymore brilliant ideas but still young enough to mentor smart students. The kids will have to break-thru and topple the giants, I'll just set them up with all the necessary tools, give them some direction/courage and some hints. In the process, I hope to find some talented students and maybe guide them over their lives and careers. Enjoy your Turkey-Day!

sure. success of students is always shared by the teacher (...mind the difference though, not solving a problem does no damage, losing money does damage for everyone involved. including the teacher's reputation :) )

btw, was it some particular mathematician or just some guy? was it V. Arnold? can easily imagine that sly guy doing something like that! (may he rest in peace... )

losing money does damage for everyone involved. including the teacher's reputation

I don't think losing money damages the teacher's reputation. The reputation of the Ivy League professors' have not been damaged during the years even though a lot of the people who has lost massive amount of money in finance have been their students.

One spot left

Please note there is one vacancy remaining due to a scheduling conflict. I encourage all to apply. First class starts on Wednesday December 1st at 6-8pm, at 1221 Avenue of Americas 42nd Floor.
Kindest regards,
Jim Liew
(Email: jimkliew@gmail.com)

Do I have to be in NYC for this class or can I watch the class online and participate from overseas?

ooVoo.com to the rescue

I'm trying ooVoo.com with two students this class. If it works well, we've had one session so far, I'll do the remote teaching going forward. Please do apply even if you're overseas. Thanks again, Jim

Dates for next Stat Arb class in 2011

Please note the following dates for next set of classes held on Thursday 6-8pm at 1221 Avenue of Americas:

(1) Jan 6th;
(2) Jan 13th;
(3) Jan 20th;
(4) Jan 27th;
(5) Feb 3rd.

Please do apply. Thanks again, Jim
Email: jimkliew@gmail.com

I recently joined the forum and it appears that i'm too late to register for these classes. Will you ever offer them sometime in the future Dr. Liew?

Dr Liew,
I'm wondering the next time you plan to do this session?

Back