• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

God's laptop

I was really sad when I found out that Sony would be discontinuing their Z line of laptops. They were just slightly over 3lbs and packed some serious power. Google "Sony Vaio Z discontinued" and you will get a glimpse of the thousands mourning.

Anyhow, today out of boredome I decided to check out Sony's website and see what they were going to replace the best business laptop in the world with.

Yay! The reinvented the Z series! Just read these specs (top-of-line-version):

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644569397
  • Very classy carbon fiber look; slim and sleek
  • 2.5 lbs!!!
  • i7 Sandy Bridges Processor
  • 512gb SSD
  • 1080p display
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 6650M 1GB graphics w/Blu-Ray
  • 8gb DDR3 RAM
  • HD Webcam, Fingerprint reader, Back-lit keyboard

Just for those of you not so familiar with computer specs, these specs would make an awesome desktop! Imagine this in the lightest laptop in the world! (There are lighter ones but they are "netbooks" AKA toys)

I'm psyched! Now I just need $5,000...

Just curious, why not buy a Mac if you are anyway gonna splurge $5k. (FYI the macbook air with slightly lower specs costs just $1.7k)

Besides, the laptop, even the $5k, only features a dual processor i7, not a quad core or the hexa core one (I know the Sandybridge does not feature hexacore, but the previous one does, and it rocks), which sucks.

Plus you get an OS that packs more punch than a shitty Windows OS.

A Mac?? Ha! I like computers; not toys.

Just to prove my point:

1) The MacBook Air is .5 lbs heavier

2) Mac doesn't offer Full HD, Sony offers 1080p

3) Mac goes to 256gb SSD, Sony goes to 512gb SSD

4) Mac has no dedicated graphics, Sony has a very solid Radeaon graphics card

5) Mac has USB 2.0, Sony has USB 3.0

6) Sony goes to 8GB RAM, Mac maxes out at 4

7) ...

In short, God would never own a Mac because they make their laptops look all pretty and sleek and put a nice little Apple logo on the top and think they can charge premium prices for it. And guess what? People actually fall for it! There is NOTHING better about a Macbook Air than a Toshiba Portege R835, and you can get that for $800...

...No wonder Stevie J stepped down...

A Mac?? Ha! I like computers; not toys.

In short, God would never own a Mac because they make their laptops look all pretty and sleek and put a nice little Apple logo on the top and think they can charge premium prices for it. And guess what? People actually fall for it! There is NOTHING better about a Macbook Air than a Toshiba Portege R835, and you can get that for $800...

...No wonder Stevie J stepped down...

Oh man. This is just awesome.

There is NOTHING better about a Macbook Air than a Toshiba Portege R835, and you can get that for $800...
except a higher resolution, a better hard drive and a real operating system.

except a higher resolution, a better hard drive and a real operating system.

Ok, you win this time.

A) Yes, the Mac has higher res than the Toshiba

B) Again, yes the Toshiba drive is not great. I never use the hard drives that come with these units. For the Toshiba I usually tell people to buy it on eBay and then upgrade to the $200 Crucial M4 128gb SSD - Making it FAR faster than the Mac, for a fraction of the cost

C) Ha ha!

$5K is silly. Maybe its just me but I don't care if my laptop weighs 2.5 lbs or 6.5 lbs. It's definitely not worth the apparent pile of money. I just bought a Dell XPS 15 lappy, with the quadcore i7 2720QM, same 8 gigs'o'ram, Nvidia 540m 2GB graphics, 750 GB 7200RPM HDD, cost me $1500, sure I didn't spring for the SSD, but I could easily put one in there for less than $3500 :P For $3500 I'll handle carrying the dead gopher weight around :D

Again and to reiterate: This is God's laptop. Not mine. God prints his own money like Mr. Bitcoin. And he likes this laptop.

Why would God need a laptop?

Why would God need a laptop?
Are you kidding? With the economy like this he's been working on a C++ program trying to solve it for a while now... I'll bet it's a 64bit and uses Virtual Box :)

A god can lift a laptop of any weight. Weight does NOT bother him, If it does, he is NOT god, but human. I can't wait to see God complaining : I can't carry this laptop because my arm pains. lol

@ Alexei

Why restrict yourself to the OS the PC manufacturer gives you? Why NOT just use dual boot?. It's NOT like the hard disk is expensive these days, or their size is small. I have run Windows on a Mac, and ironically, I found it to run better on a Mac than a normal PC.

Free Windows OS CDs are ubiquitous, at least in our part of the world . Linux, as it is, is free anyway. I have no idea about Lion OS X, but , anyway, it doesn't cost a fortune - $30- as compared to a Windows OS (original).

P.S If you have money to splurge, and want a real computing power, buy a desktop (no laptop can still match the power of a desktop). My choice is a Mac Pro : the only dual processor computer on the market, with 2 Intel Xeon hexacore processors. Even i7 extreme wanes in comparison to that. If you want a windows or Linux, you can always dual boot.

P.S As far as hardware flaws are concerned, all companies have flaws- H.P ( I own one), Dell (my friend owns), or others. No one is perfect.

Mac OS is based on unix, and most unix operating systems are free. I recommend Ubuntu - as good as any mac OS but free.

And if you google Sony PC Support you will find out their rating is "Poor" - which I experienced first hand. I used to have F-series laptop with all the top components (except SSD) which developed some problems while it was still on the warranty. When I had Sony technician in my house for the second time he said he couldn't fix it so he suggested to ship it to repair center. Then, twice I shipped it to Sony repair center in California and every time I was getting back my laptop with a note that the problem was fixed, but in fact, it was not fixed. So I got rid of it.

Maybe, maybe their tech support for business class laptops is better than the tech support for consumer laptops but never again I will own a Sony laptop.

...and I shipped back HPs like 10 times and never got it back working well. Fact is laptop repairs in general are a terrible idea. Besides, most of the time the problem is just in the hard drive which is very cheap to replace. Another common problem that people usually are not aware of is a build-up of static electricity in laptops that are plugged in too much. I find that it is almost never worth it to send a unit in for repair. Ask someone you know who is more computer savvy then you. You might be surprised...

Either way, when looking for a laptop you should look for quality not costumer support.

Quality:
Sony, Apple (much as I hate to admit it), Toshiba, Alienware, Dell Precision Series only, Lenovo, MSI, Fujitsu, etc.

Trash:
HP, Acer, Gateway, Dell, eMachines, Asus, etc.

Unkown:
Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

This list comes from 150+ laptops and tablets of experience (yes, I have owned that many!). I buy and sell laptops and tablet more often than once a month and have flipped over 100 tablets last year alone.

...and I shipped back HPs like 10 times and never got it back working well. Fact is laptop repairs in general are a terrible idea. Besides, most of the time the problem is just in the hard drive which is very cheap to replace. Another common problem that people usually are not aware of is a build-up of static electricity in laptops that are plugged in too much. I find that it is almost never worth it to send a unit in for repair. Ask someone you know who is more computer savvy then you. You might be surprised...

Either way, when looking for a laptop you should look for quality not costumer support.

Quality:
Sony, Apple (much as I hate to admit it), Toshiba, Alienware, Dell Precision Series only, Lenovo, MSI, Fujitsu, etc.

Trash:
HP, Acer, Gateway, Dell, eMachines, Asus, etc.

Unkown:
Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

This list comes from 150+ laptops and tablets of experience (yes, I have owned that many!). I buy and sell laptops and tablet more often than once a month and have flipped over 100 tablets last year alone.
How dare you describe my Laptop as Trash!!!! I think it is time to do some testing/comparison to see!!! Name the date and time, in Quantlab!!!

Back