• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Good Book for Advanced Calculus

babinu

XYZ
Hi ,

Can anyone suggest good book for advanced calculus, covering topics such as green's theorem, multiple integrals, partial derivatives etc ?

Calculus 3 books covers those topics.
True. And the OP is asking about the best among those "Calculus 3 books". I used Marsden & Tromba myself. It worked but I do not recommend it.

True. And the OP is asking about the best among those "Calculus 3 books". I used Marsden & Tromba myself. It worked but I do not recommend it.

I don't consider advanced calculus to be calculus 3. Since in some institutions, adv calc is undergrad real analysis.

I don't consider advanced calculus to be calculus 3. Since in some institutions, adv calc is undergrad real analysis.
The OP has pointed out at some specific topics (multivariate & vector calculus). Plus he never mentioned Calculus 3, you mentioned Calculus 3. Many universities many course names. He only needs advice on textbooks not on course names.

The OP has pointed out at some specific topics (multivariate & vector calculus). Plus he never mentioned Calculus 3, you mentioned Calculus 3. Many universities many course names. He only needs advice on textbooks not on course names.

Mentioning Calculus 3 points him in the right direction.

Thanks everyone, for the inputs here, I wanted to book in calculus covering these topics for the following reasons.

1. To prepare for the GRE math subject test

2. To prepare for the MFE programs.

Do you think that the book mentioned with regard to calculus 3 helps me in these ?

Thanks
Babinu

There are any number of books on the subject. Unless you're stranded on a desert island, I don't understand why you would ask such a question. Make your way to some college or university library and find a text that you think will fit the bill. I like Marsden and Tromba but there are scores of others.

Thanks everyone, for the inputs here, I wanted to book in calculus covering these topics for the following reasons.

1. To prepare for the GRE math subject test

2. To prepare for the MFE programs.

Do you think that the book mentioned with regard to calculus 3 helps me in these ?

Thanks
Babinu

One Calculus book isn't going to help you on the GRE Math Subject Test.

What math courses have you taken?

My university uses Marsden & Tromba's Vector Analysis along with Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds.

as MRoss said, ron Larson is an excellent book. it covers all the green stokes etc. but i don't see how knowing line integrals or knowing how to integrate surface integrals is going to help you in MFE.

My university uses Marsden & Tromba's Vector Analysis along with Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds.

Spivak's 5-volume work on differential geometry is a phenomenal work. But instead of his Calculus on Manifolds, I'd recommend Klaus Janich's Vector Analysis (Springer UTM). This is meant for pure math types (which leaves only a set of measure zero among those following this thread), but it's positively dripping with insight, and takes one from classical vector analysis through differential forms on manifolds to Stokes' theorem to de Rham cohomology and the Ricci calculus.

Back