• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to identify a good Quant...if you aren't a Quant?

You can't call an expert and you need to discern whether the man/woman across from you is a good quant. What questions would you ask (and what should the answers be?)?

Good to know that as a graduating financial mathematics major (and prospective quant) I am not completely delusional :P

Last edited:
Well said. Thanks for responding. It sounds simple enough but could be tricky in practice. Too basic and it will sound ubiquitous. Too complicated and, well, that's my life.

If they can explain in lay-mans terms what they do in less than 25 words, they know what they're doing. If they start talking about log normal distributions... they've missed the point.
I don't agree. It is too simplistic.

If they can explain in lay-mans terms what they do in less than 25 words, they know what they're doing. If they start talking about log normal distributions... they've missed the point.
Confirm from my practical experience: guys and gals that were able to clearly explain a problem in layman terms usually created practically efficient models and/or their implementations.
I also encountered many theorists that readily chatted about mathematical nuances but were unable to solve a practical problem (indeed they didn't even understand it properly).

This is spot-on. People who are good (maybe even great) at what they do are able to customize their responses/explanations to the audience at hand. Clear, concise, and in layman terms for the non-quant, but with the ability to get as detailed and sophisticated with peer quants if needed.

Remember, there are a lot more non-quants in the world of finance than there are quants...so explaining to them can be argued as more important.

Communicating is one thing. Being smart, knowing how to get work done with minimal supervision, is another. They may be correlated.

Back