• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hurricane Irene

good at first i thought...'wow, he studies even during a hurricane, thats pretty impressive' But, alas, thats not the case.

Manhattan update:

Roads are clear, cabs are $10 per person, per zone!!

Otherwise a nice day :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314470402.250442.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314470402.250442.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 29
Joy, Irene screwed up my interview schedule. So much for humans beating mother nature. Gaia always has a way of saying F YOU just when we think we can avoid her wrath.

I lived in Coastal Georgia for 28 years and never had a hurricane hit. The week I move to New Jersey...bam!

lol i am in my backyard in canada grilling up a bbq in the nice sunny weather and then off to patriots vs lions. gooooooooodtimes. be jealous all!

Being on the route of a hurricane is a once in a lifetime experience. If I were you, I would be sad to miss that ;)

What hurricane. I wish there was a way I could short the hype to make money. 40 MPH max winds are nothing. The Baruch MFE trading team got worse wind gusts landing into JFK from our successful trip to RITC in February. Airports don't even have to close.

It's going to be windy, it's going to rain, maybe a street corner around wall street will be flooded. In short it'll be just another NYC fall day, only extended edition.

The world will not end, Empire state building won't fall over and power will not be lost (although for whatever reason that is by now clearly unnecessary it will be cut by the administration to certain parts of the city...). IMO all this hype is Bloomberg trying to overcompensate for dropping the ball so bad in the blizzard in December. I wonder if anyone will catch on.

I for one am not a happy camper about the subway and bus (out-of-town bus included) outage.

IMO all this hype is Bloomberg trying to overcompensate for dropping the ball so bad in the blizzard in December. I wonder if anyone will catch on.

That or Obama wants to hype it up as the opposite of the Katrina response. Either way the most wind is coming from politicians and not from the storm.

That or Obama wants to hype it up as the opposite of the Katrina response. Either way the most wind is coming from politicians and not from the storm.
Maybe, but I haven't seen Obama on the news at all about this thing... I keep seeing Bloomberg and his four friends (probably chief of police/fire department etc.)

A meeting I was supposed to have tomorrow got moved to the day afterwards because apparently MTA won't be operational by then yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one with somewhere to be on a monday.

Safety is great, but when a politician spreads mass hysteria in an attempt to gain popularity and make everyone forget about him not caring about the last natural disaster, and New Yorkers suffer, I call foul.

Yesterday I talked to a quant at a major bank who wasn't sure he would be able to make it to work today (which is mandatory) because Bloomberg blocked everything off and suspended everything. Not fun.

Of course it is easy to make accusations and what not in hindsight. But you have to remember, Irene was supposedly a H2 first, and then H1 after that, and further downgraded to a tropical storm later. I don't know how easy it is to predict the weather, but I thought people had enough reasons to take precautionary actions.

A meeting I was supposed to have tomorrow got moved to the day afterwards because apparently MTA won't be operational by then yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one with somewhere to be on a monday.

Safety is great, but when a politician spreads mass hysteria in an attempt to gain popularity and make everyone forget about him not caring about the last natural disaster, and New Yorkers suffer, I call foul.

Yesterday I talked to a quant at a major bank who wasn't sure he would be able to make it to work today (which is mandatory) because Bloomberg blocked everything off and suspended everything. Not fun.

Wow, is your job really more important than your safety?

Yes, man, hindsight *is* 20/20! And keep in mind that, even though your area may not have suffered much, some areas did get hit pretty hard!

Being the conspiracy theorist that I am I don't think this was entirely about a storm....

In any event, post 9/11, all big banks (and most, if not all smaller ones) have made provisions to ensure that essential operations remain uninterrupted during such events. I suppose this is a stellar opportunity to test those systems. Further, every financial company I've worked at (3 IB/BD, 2 BBs and 1 HF) have all offered some ability to work remotely ranging from simple email and intranet folder access to full remote logins and firm issued laptops. Sure this will be inconvenient come Monday morning, but I don't think it will be catastrophic.

On the other hand, sounds like operation risk territory to me. Basel II.5, represent ;)

MTA Service Advisory

SERVICE PLAN FOR MONDAY, AUGUST 29

In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, the MTA will provide limited service on Monday, August 29. The MTA's regular fare and toll policy will resume on Monday at 5:00 a.m.
New York City Subway

With limited exceptions, service will resume across the subway system at 6:00 a.m. Monday morning. Service will be less frequent than normal, and customers should expect longer waits and more crowded trains. Frequency of service will improve over the course of the day.
Exceptions:

• 3 trains will operate between 137th Street/City College and New Lots Avenue; Substitute bus service will be provided between Harlem 148th Street and 135th Street connecting with the 2 train.
  • C trains suspended; A trains will make all local stops from 207th St. to Lefferts Blvd.
    • No service in the Rockaways. (Rockaway Blvd. to Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park)
  • 6 trains runs local in the Bronx
  • 7 trains run local
  • S Franklin Avenue Shuttle (FAS) Suspended
  • N trains terminate at Kings Highway. Shuttle bus service between Kings Highway and Stillwell Terminal.
Staten Island Railway

The Staten Island Railway will resume normal service at midnight tonight.
Buses

Limited bus service was restored in all five boroughs of New York City earlier this evening. Service levels will continue to increase but may not reach normal levels tomorrow.
Long Island Rail Road

The Long Island Rail Road is restoring near-normal service for Monday morning's rush hour on six of its branches, but customers are advised to expect some cancelations and some trains operating with fewer than normal complement of cars. The AM rush service is being restored to and from:
  • Babylon
  • Huntington
  • Ronkonkoma
  • Port Washington (half-hourly service west of Great Neck)
  • Hempstead
  • West Hempstead
Service remains suspended to and from:
  • Oyster Bay
  • Port Jefferson
  • Long Beach
  • Far Rockaway
  • Montauk
Metro-North Railroad

Metro-North Railroad cannot operate regular service on any of its three lines, on Monday, August 29. There is still significant damage to many portions of the Metro-North system. Local streams and the Bronx River continue to overflow their banks and high winds continue to fell trees across the tracks.
Bridges and Tunnels

All MTA Bridges and Tunnels are open
Access-a-Ride and Able Ride

MTA paratransit services are expected to be operating normal service beginning at noon on Monday.

Source: http://mta.info/

Back