• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

iPhone: coolest gadget of the year?

1 more week to go for the iPhone fans. It is set to released on June 29 at AT&T.
Take a look at the guys at the Apple 5th ave store setting up a giant iPhone display. They never admit it is iPhone...:)

iphone_nyc1.jpg.jpg

I don't know Andy, i am a big Mac fan but I am not interested in the iPhone just yet. Its usually not prudent to invest in first generation products. I just bought the Treo 755p , http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo755p/index.html, about 2 weeks back, at a premium but I trust Palm for a reliable Smart phone. It will be interesting to see how the iPhone is received though, I heard of a couple bugs a few months back and that Apple had to restructure its engineering staff to focus on fixing and meeting the delivery date.

For now, I am a satisfied consumer of the Treo 755p.

Andy, no change of plans so far? You still want to get a BlackBerry?
A relative of mine has a phone (I forgot which one, maybe Treo), and he says one of the most important things for him is the pen and the ability to write on the screen. I'm not sure if BlackBerry has this feature.

I was passing by a mobile phone store today and saw a huge line waiting to get... yes, iPhone :) and recalled Andy's comment.

posting from my iPhone now. It is nice.

Nice... looking forward to check it out on Monday. Although, I don't plan to get an iPhone until it is released with Verizon Wireless support.

Went to an Apple store today with my friend and the crow is light. Maybe 10 people playing with the 4 phones they have set up.

I played with it some and even though it is really slick, I would not pick it if I need to email or SMS a lot. And I can imagine how dirty the touch screen can get with sticky fingers.

And yeah, did you know you have to switch your phone service to AT&T to use this phone ? Add couple hundred dollars more if you are still under contract with your provider.

Overall, it's a great machine and I'm sure Woody will love it to death ;)
Can I play with it some more, please ? :D

Went to an Apple store today with my friend and the crow is light. Maybe 10 people playing with the 4 phones they have set up.

I played with it some and even though it is really slick, I would not pick it if I need to email or SMS a lot. And I can imagine how dirty the touch screen can get with sticky fingers.

And yeah, did you know you have to switch your phone service to AT&T to use this phone ? Add couple hundred dollars more if you are still under contract with your provider.

Overall, it's a great machine and I'm sure Woody will love it to death ;)
Can I play with it some more, please ? :D

What an awesome machine! I went to the Apple store in SoHo and the line inside the store to see the demo version was crazy! I waited so long to play with it.

Woody, How do you like it? You must be walking on the street with the phone on your chest heh :D

This thing is really more of a handheld computer than a phone. Very easy to use. Excellent interface. I raced with a guy at work who has a treo. We took a picture and emailed it to someone. He first had to figure out how to do that. I've never done it before but did it in less than 15 seconds (including typing the email address).

Here is everything that is wrong with iPhone/AT&T. I cannot list everything that is great about it because there is a text limit for posts :)

1. AT&T Edge is a notch below DSL in speed. Web pages do load okay, but slow. On WIFI it is as fast as a computer.

2. A conversation I had with a friend on Verizon mobile was a difficult conversation filled with 'can you hear me now?' That was pretty disapointing, but when I called other phones everything was okay. I'm not sure if it's just inconsistent or if it was the Verizon phone, although Verizon cell service is pretty solid from what I hear.

3. You cannot select text, and therefore cannot copy/paste. I'm sure they'll put this in a software update.

4. To type a period (.) you should be able to type space twice (as in the bb) but you cannot.

I got couple of friends who slept in front of the Apple stores on Thurs night. And look on ebay for how many iPhones has been sold there ? Some are going for close to 700. Hype machine in its perfect form ;)

I got couple of friends who slept in front of the Apple stores on Thurs night. And look on ebay for how many iPhones has been sold there ? Some are going for close to 700. Hype machine in its perfect form ;)

I don't think that is the case. Check this link (NY Times - Free Registration... blah, blah, blah):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/technology/06iphone.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

It looks like the iPhone is not selling as hot as you say. There is plenty of phones in stock.

Back