• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

iPhone: coolest gadget of the year?

Blackberry 8820 just comes out

I think I want this phone. Blackberry 8820 has wifi, GPS, microSD, etc...everything I want. Can't wait till it gets here. :smt100

8820_large_black.png

Blackberry 8820 arrives…But in the UK? : The Boy Genius Report

Andy, it looks good to be true :) I thought you planned to get a phone in June or July.

Andy, it looks good to be true :) I thought you planned to get a phone in June or July.
I know ;)
Probably the current plan would be to get a job, see if they come with a work-provided Blackberry. If not, then i'll have to spend money to get my own. I don't want to carry 2 Blackberries at the same time.

What's your plan then ? :)

I know ;)
Probably the current plan would be to get a job, see if they come with a work-provided Blackberry. If not, then i'll have to spend money to get my own. I don't want to carry 2 Blackberries at the same time.

What's your plan then ? :)

Andy, my plan is very similar to yours :) The first step is to get a job and then if my employer decides to give me a Blackberry or Treo, I will be more than happy to have it. Otherwise, I'll get whatever will be useful on the market. I still have not decided between Treo and Blackberry.

Apple slashes iPhone price

Now it's getting more reasonable. Let's wait till they put it on T-Mobile network and let use mp3 features without iTunes. :)

Apple Inc. said the company was cutting the price of its iPhone and was on track to sell one million phones before the end of September.

"We want to make the iPhone even more affordable" Jobs said at a product event, announcing that the price of the model with 8 gigabytes of storage was cut to $399 from $599.

Now it's getting more reasonable. Let's wait till they put it on T-Mobile network and let use mp3 features without iTunes. :)

Nice price drop! not sure if you want to wait until they support T-mobile, I didn't have any good experience with them and had to switch to Cingular (now AT&T).

I'm waiting for the second gen one though :)

You could also just get an iPod Touch with WiFi and use your normal phone.

Definitely...but who wants to carry that many things around any more. I do have an ipod now...and I want to get rid of. So my next cell phone & iPod will be the iPhone for sure.

But it will not rotate the image when you move the piece - the most attractive feature of the iPhone :)

And still I will have to deal with iTunes if I get one...

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc (AAPL.O) Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Thursday offered a $100 store credit to early buyers of the iPhone, seeking to calm customers angry over an unexpected and steep price cut.

On Wednesday, Apple slashed the price of its $600 iPhone model to $400, saying it wanted to make the combination phone, music player and Web browser more affordable.

"Even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price," Jobs said in a letter posted on Apple's Web site.

The offer applies to people who bought iPhones at Apple or AT&T Inc (T.N) stores but did not qualify for rebates or other compensation, Jobs said. AT&T is the exclusive service provider for the iPhone in the United States.
Apple shares fell for a second day on concerns about iPhone profit margins because of the price cut and rebates.
Apple has not disclosed how many iPhones it has sold since its launch in late June, but has said it sold 270,000 iPhones in the first two days and expects to sell 1 million units by the end of September.

Although Apple faces potential costs of tens of millions of dollars if most qualifying customers take the company up on the offer, that will still be a drop in the bucket compared to the $818 million in net profit it made last quarter.

"From a Wall Street perspective it will be mostly ignored, people will say, 'Hey, Apple did a goodwill gesture, they are taking good care of their customers," said Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research.

Apple has a policy to refund the difference to customers who bought a product within 14 days of a price drop.
Web sites and forums were quickly inundated with messages from irate iPhone buyers, some of whom felt that they had been punished for their early support. Jobs said he had received hundreds of e-mails from upset customers.

"Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these," Jobs said.
Darren Chervitz, a money manager with Jacob Internet Fund, said he was concerned about the underlying damage the rapid price cut may have caused to Apple's most loyal fan base.

"You cannot do that without doing damage to your brand and to future launches," Chervitz said. "The early adopters are a big part of Apple's fan base. They want to cultivate it and not think they bought too early."
His fund holds a small position in Apple after paring back over the past year.
Jobs' full statement can be read at www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
Apple shares fell 1.3 percent to $135.01 on Nasdaq.

Apparently the iPod Touch *does* do this.

That sounds cool... lets see it when it arrives to the stores.

By the way, after Jobs' announcement about price cuts for iPhone and new line of iPods Apple's stock tumbled over 5%. Thus, investors are not that optimistic about company's decisions.

Interesting article :) but I wouldn't buy iPhone for $400 either :) $250 is the maximum I will pay no matter how cool it is :)

I'm going to make a couple of predictions for Apple and RIM.

1. For calendar Q3, in the US, Apple sold more iPhones than Rim sold Blackberries. RIM already reported 1.45 million BB sold last quarter worldwide. Since about 1/3 of their sales are foreign, I'd say it's an easy bet that Apple sold ~1 million or more iPhones last quarter.

2. Apple will sell more iPhones (total) than RIM sells BB in the fourth quarter.

2. Apple will sell more iPhones (total) than RIM sells BB in the fourth quarter.

I will not be surprised if it happens to be true. However, I'm sure BB will show steady sales in future while iPhone is in hands of fashion. If Nokia comes up with something cooler then iPhone, the days of iPhone sales will be counted. In fact, LG made an iPhone-styled phone for Verizon called "Prada": Engadget Motorola also is making another iPhone killer called "M". Therefore, Q4 might be the last quarter when iPhone will show good sales especially because of entering the European market.

I will not be surprised if it happens to be true. However, I'm sure BB will show steady sales in future while iPhone is in hands of fashion. If Nokia comes up with something cooler then iPhone, the days of iPhone sales will be counted. In fact, LG made an iPhone-styled phone for Verizon called "Prada": Engadget Motorola also is making another iPhone killer called "M". Therefore, Q4 might be the last quarter when iPhone will show good sales especially because of entering the European market.

Sounds exactly like what they were saying about the iPod in 2003.

The other touch phones have a touch screen, but none can 'touch' the user interface of the iPhone. Plus, it is the gadget that young hipsters 'have' to have. Those of us that are hacking, computer geeks are not the number one target market for the phone. It's those cool college students. I'm guessing iPhone sales will accelerate and Apple will carve out a nice % of the smart phone market by the end of next year. They will probably have sold 10-15 million by then.

I agree BB will not go away. It is still the best solution for corporations. iPhone growth will probably benefit BB in fact. iPhone will push the smartphone market further. In 3-5 years every phone will be smart and Apple will have a *significant* part of the market.

Sounds exactly like what they were saying about the iPod in 2003.
The difference is that the iPod has a monopoly in the market because of iTunes. That's the kicker.

woody said:
The other touch phones have a touch screen, but none can 'touch' the user interface of the iPhone. Plus, it is the gadget that young hipsters 'have' to have. Those of us that are hacking, computer geeks are not the number one target market for the phone. It's those cool college students. I'm guessing iPhone sales will accelerate and Apple will carve out a nice % of the smart phone market by the end of next year. They will probably have sold 10-15 million by then.

I agree BB will not go away. It is still the best solution for corporations. iPhone growth will probably benefit BB in fact. iPhone will push the smartphone market further. In 3-5 years every phone will be smart and Apple will have a *significant* part of the market.

The day that Apple starts to sell iPhones to companies, that will be the day when the iPhone will outsell the BBs in general. If not, RIM products (combined) will still outsell iPhones.

The difference is that the iPod has a monopoly in the market because of iTunes. That's the kicker.

iPod doesn't have a monopoly on the market. They dominate the market due to iTunes, good product design, and marketing (which all make the product the 'must have' product for young consumers).

The day that Apple starts to sell iPhones to companies, that will be the day when the iPhone will outsell the BBs in general. If not, RIM products (combined) will still outsell iPhones.

I'm saying they will outsell BB this quarter. We'll find out mid Jan. Only 1.45 million BB sold worldwide last quarter. iPhones sold 1 million in their first 2.5 months and sales are said to be accelerating, especially after the price cut. So they've almost caught up to BB sales and still have the holiday season coming. Also, note that (as you mention) iPhone is only on one carrier. And still it will outsell BB this quarter.

Disclosure: I've done quite well with Apple stock.

Back