• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

john hulls option,futures and derivatives VS The Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance by Mark Joshi

OFOD as the title suggests gives you some flavor of basic derivative products, and provides financial literacy in a digestible format. The book by Mark Joshi is a classic, like Shreve covers the basic ideas in mathematical finance.

The one by mark Joshi and Shreves stochastic calculus are interchangeable?

I guess Shrev is more subject driven(Stochastic) and Mark Joshi is more product driven.

i have already started with Hull.
Which one should i pick up after I am done with Joshi?

Shreve is pretty good if you didn't have formal training in stochastic. Bonus point is that you can very easily find problem solutions for it on the internet, which could help if you're stuck in some of the harder exercises. If you've studied a bit of stochastic before you can probably jump to the second book which goes more in-depth to continuous time stuffs.

Shreve is pretty good if you didn't have formal training in stochastic. Bonus point is that you can very easily find problem solutions for it on the internet, which could help if you're stuck in some of the harder exercises. If you've studied a bit of stochastic before you can probably jump to the second book which goes more in-depth to continuous time stuffs.
Thank you
Is such knowledge about stochastics etc more important than C++ knowledge for quant internship interviews? I am asking because I hv limited time and cannot study everything in that time period.

I'd say you need both programming and maths (you don't need C++ per se, unless the specific company/role you're aiming for requires it, most coding interviews can be done in other languages, python is the most common from my experience). For technical interviews they'll ask you anything from tricky probability questions, statistics, stochastic, dynamic programming, machine learning, etc. depending on the company/role.

If you have to prioritize one, get your programming skills to a decent level first before anything else. If you can't pass programming tests you probably won't even get the chance to speak to a human being.

I'd say you need both programming and maths (you don't need C++ per se, unless the specific company/role you're aiming for requires it, most coding interviews can be done in other languages, python is the most common from my experience). For technical interviews they'll ask you anything from tricky probability questions, statistics, stochastic, dynamic programming, machine learning, etc. depending on the company/role.

If you have to prioritize one, get your programming skills to a decent level first before anything else. If you can't pass programming tests you probably won't even get the chance to speak to a human being.
Which roles require C++?
I'm going to be studying Pdes and finite diff methods and I've heard that c++is used alongside these concepts

Also, which topics/applications of python should I focus on for quant roles?

Which roles require C++?
I'm going to be studying Pdes and finite diff methods and I've heard that c++is used alongside these concepts
C++ developer roles would require C++, python developer would require python. Check linkedin/job boards for the roles you're interested in and check if you see many of them requiring certain languages.

Also, which topics/applications of python should I focus on for quant roles?
Also depends on what roles you want to apply for. Again, check job listings you want to qualify for and see what they want. You should be able to do some basic programming in multiple languages though, in case some interviews don't allow you to use certain languages. I've had interviews that only allow python, because that's what the company/team uses. I assume there are similar roles that only use C++.

Back