• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS Visual Studio 2008

Hi,

This might sound bit crazy, but I am an alumni of Baruch College. I am learning dot net programming and have been using Express Edition to practice and run programs.The Professional Version of MS Visual Studio 2008 is expensive. I tried to download from rapidshare, but it didnt work. .or I even checked baruch's online mall..through cuny.edu and they dont have the above mentioned software. I was able to get a C++ video tutorial from a fellow member here, which was posted to rapdishare, almost a year ago and did greatly help me learn C++ ..

Any help..;)

Thanks,:sos:

You are right, that does sound a bit crazy.

What are you missing from Express that you need?

I tried to practice some code samples from MSDN and doesnt work with the Express Edition.In the real world,you wouldn't use Express Edition..so getting to know the Visual Studio IDE would be a better preparation..

Speaking of the IDE, Doug, even though I've done numerous things in C++ and dabbled in .Net with it, I still find the way it manages files to be mysterious. Can you point me to a tutorial on that aspect of it?

Anybody has Ms Visual Studio Professional version and not the express edition.Some advanced functionality are not supported in Express edition..

Thanks,

Hey Charles,

I don't know of any such tutorial except for what I've figured out from looking at projects/solutions myself and playing around piecing things together here and there. If you do happen to find such a document, I would be curious, though.

My understanding is that the directories are so:

Solution Directory (named for your solution)
|- contains a directory for each of the projects contained in the solution (with their name)
|--- contains the .cpp, .h, resource and proprietary VS project files
|--- contains the target build directory (i.e. Debug or Release) with compiled & linked code
|-- contains a solution target build directory so that project libraries can find their dependencies (i.e. if you have to projects, one of which supplied a DLL to the other)

The act of compiling and linking, finding dependencies, and resolving object libraries appears to be standard across not only VS but other compilers I have used, so there should definitely be something on how that is done (i.e. where it looks for "blah.h" versus <iostream>, .DLL files, etc. etc.) Probably a kind of "how does a compiler work" (or something a little more targeted) will get you on the right path.

Hope this helps; I know there are other people on these forums with more knowledge than I of how C++ compilers and linkers work who can provide a better explanation.

Hey Doug,

Thanks for your quick response and the link.But , I dont see Baruch college in the list of colleges in the selection window.How do I get through this?

Thanks,

Hi Doug,

I couldn't download Visual Studio. I tried alternative ways, and it asks for credit card number..and all..Looks like they will charge me through means..But, had the college been listed up there..maybe I would have been able to download.

Any tips.

Thanks,

I can't help you there. I suppose you'll either have to fork over the dough or suffer with the Express edition.

What features do you need from Visual Studio Professional? It is my impression from your post that you are just learning to use Visual Studio, so you won't need such advanced features.

If I remember it correctly, you have to submit your school information through JourneyEd. You will be guided in the process when you go the the microsoft site to download the software. That's the way to do it.

Back