• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New Quantnet members say hi

Hello everyone

I am an engineering graduate with a good academics, and have a score of 1510.. But no work ex in quant.. finance or finance or anything related.. Do I have any chances of being admitted in MFE of BAruch?

Hello everyone

I am an engineering graduate with a good academics, and have a score of 1510.. But no work ex in quant.. finance or finance or anything related.. Do I have any chances of being admitted in MFE of BAruch?

welcome aboard, hope you'll find QN helpful.

it has become our standard policy, not to evaluate people's profiles or try to derive their prospects of getting admitted. firstly, it would be very difficult without knowing your whole story (which you'll be able to present in your application). secondly, no matter what we say, it has absolutely no bearing on the admission committee decisions.
the program has no admission quota, and the main admission criteria is that an applicant can succeed in the program.

to make a long story short - APPLY.

browse through our Education forum (Education - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum), you'll find a lot of helpful information (as you can guess, you're not the only person asking for such evaluations).

best of luck with your applications!

Hello everyone

Yes! In fact, everybody has a chance. The sronger your credentials, the higher your chances are. Make sure you apply for next Fall.

Hi everyone

Cheers everyone, I am Prateek from Mumbai,India.

I will be applying shortly to Baruch for the masters program beginning fall 2008.

Would love to get networking with you all.

Hello everyone

Hi,

This is Praveen. I have recently joined this forum and I'd be applying to few of the mfe programs and Baruch will be among the most coveted ones.
I have 18 months experience at Morgan Stanley's derivatives IT division and currently working for Lehman's risk management desk for equity and equity derivatives. I have decent quantitative experience and 800 in gre quant. Waiting for my toefl and then I'll apply to Baruch for sure.
Looking forward to getting advice from people here, should I face questions.

Thanks, Praveen

Hello all

I am James and wish to say Hello to this quant community.
I have been reading for 2 days now and I want to thank Andy for the idea and all that the participants for such a lively and entertaining forum.
Currently living in Charlotte, US. Have studied at Columbia U. New York (MS EE) and currently considering the Carnegie Mellon MSFE.

Cheers!

I am James and wish to say Hello to this quant community.
I have been reading for 2 days now and I want to thank Andy for the idea and all that the participants for such a lively and entertaining forum.
Currently living in Charlotte, US. Have studied at Columbia U. New York (MS EE) and currently considering the Carnegie Mellon MSFE.

Cheers!

James, Welcome to Quantnet!

Do you consider any of Columbia's programs?

Yurij,

I am considering Columbia as well but am still struggling between the cost difference, loyalty to my alma-mater, New York Vs the likes of Steve and the fact that I kind of now 2 professors Steve advised for their PhD.

CS -> Cert. in FE -> Ph.D. in Finance

Hello Everyone,

I did my undergrad in CS from Georgia Tech, have taken courses in Economics and Accounting and have broadly read on Finance. I plan to pursue a certificate in FE for developing a broad base in QCF and that I'm searching for online programs because I'm in India. In this regard, I've come across programs from Columbia CVN - Columbia Video Network and Stevens Institute of Technology WebCampus.Stevens:: Financial Engineering with the latter in my opinion having a more focused curriculum in Finance. I would appreciate the network's feedback on these programs.

I'll be applying to Ph.D. in Finance programs for 2009 and that leaves me around one year to do independent research towards writing an informed SOP. I'm looking for research ideas that I can work on and if possible generate a publication-level paper by late 2008. Till now, I've mainly worked on desktop and web-based business applications in several industries for different departments including Finance and Operations. I plan to apply the certificate courses to data modeling efforts and use Java and SQL to build experiments and think that the courses at Stevens, especially the Computational Methods in Finance course, would help me. I find the certificate program at Columbia to be more general than Stevens in terms of its applications to Finance and not as computationally inclined? It's not to say that Columbia coursework is any less broad or deep in its mathematical content but I'm not sure how applicable it's to my background and needs from the computational end. In this regard, I'm looking for online programs in FE that would teach me like a book of concepts and practices than theory and proofs because too much depth is best left to a Ph.D. program.

If you took the pain of reading through my post then I highly appreciate it and that if you see what I'm trying to achieve then please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You!
finssite

Yurij,

I am considering Columbia as well but am still struggling between the cost difference, loyalty to my alma-mater, New York Vs the likes of Steve and the fact that I kind of now 2 professors Steve advised for their PhD.

I am assuming you are talking about Dr. Steve Shreve :) I did a Math certificate at CMU's Computational Finance program, and was planning to do a Finance certificate but decided not to due to high costs (now it is about $6000/semester). Check the courses offered by the programs and see what you like the best. There might be the most optimal combination in terms of what you like divided by the amount of money spent :)

hello everyone!
Nice to meet you here.I'm hamjane come form china.
I'm studing FE in SWUFE in sichuan province and i want to do my best to be a qualified MFE.

hello everyone!
Nice to meet you here.I'm hamjane come form china.
I'm studing FE in SWUFE in sichuan province and i want to do my best to be a qualified MFE.

Welcome to Quantnet! and best of luck! :)

A Hello from Russia, Moscow to be precise. (although some say Moscow is a different kind of country form the rest of the federation, one thing in common though - its snowy and it is sunday). I am a 2008 applicant to Baruch - is it too early to do the "rate my profile" post? :)

I am a 2008 applicant to Baruch - is it too early to do the "rate my profile" post? :)
It's never too early or too late for that kind of post simply because we don't rate profile.
It's not too early for you to get your application ready. The first batch of applications arrives at Baruch about now. It takes a while from snowy Moscow to snowy New York.

It takes a while from snowy Moscow to snowy New York.

Andy, one correction :D, there no snow in New York and I don't think there will be any for the next few weeks :) by the way, compared to Moscow, New York is much warmer :)

Hello Everyone!

Hey everyone :D ! I just joined Quantnet and it seems like I will learn a lot here..
I'm planning to apply to FE programmes this winter
Currently working as an economist in a big accounting firm in Israel

I'm Lauren, a junior at St. Johns and plan on applying for MFE @ Baruch in 2009. Hopefully as I complete my BS in Finance this will help me approach my graduate work and further. Some of you have helped me a great deal already and I am very appreciative- Thanx lol Thats basically it.

It's never too early or too late for that kind of post simply because we don't rate profile.
I understand why you would not "rate profiles"[really no one likes to infringe upon adcoms rights], but what about something of the nature of "help me make the cut" or "what should I do to improve my academic profile". I frankly believe that such posts("suggestions, what do I do to make my profile stronger") are very important and give direction to your application. I'm sure when you were outside you really did want to know how your profile could be made stronger, so why not help others now? Okay I'm trying to sugarcoat but the point is that the above statement stinks of hypocrisy!

Back